ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #16
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseyboy View Post
Which wind screen did you get? I'm in the market for 1, and can't make up my mind. I'm still riding with my Rev-it gear, I have to break down and get a good pair of gloves.
I got thier Sport Deflector model.I leave it on all year,even for off road riding.The sport model does a great job of keeping the wind off of the chest.It does not keep the wind off the helmet.The taller one may.
Also the deflector is easy to remove if you want.Four nylon fastener's.The deflector is pre-drilled with four holes.I mounted mine as high as I could.Very good product.
Hope this info help's.Good luck & be safe out there.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #17
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Hey 2up, how does the salt effect your bike? Does it horribly corrode? Do you wash it often? I'm trying to envision this thing through till spring and want to cover all bases

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #18
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upadv View Post
Yesterday was a good test of the Studded Karoo 3. The day started out 33F and light rain, to 45 and Sunny and 50 miles of snow /slush covered roads. Not good conditions to break in new tires. Tires were a little un predictable at first on wet roads but once they broke in I found them to handle as well as TKC 80,s without studs.
When I got caught on some snow covered roads the studs helped with keeping it upright, The wide knobs on the tire do cause a little floatation so if the snow was more that an inch it may have been ugly.
Did get on several seasonal use roads and the Karoo 3 handles the mud really well. Definitely using them next summer

One of the best items of gear I forgot to mention is a PinLock Shield on your helmet that prevents Fogging and comes in several colors. I should have used the Yellow insert yesterday

Winter!!!
Damn Jimmy.
Its winter at your place like 10 mounths a year aint it?

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #19
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478
I've used the ACF-50 protectant for the last two winters. I ride year round. Yes, the acf-50 attracts grime like a magnet, but the stuff does seem to protect against corrosion. This is from a few weeks back, still cleans up pretty well.

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #20
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Winter!!!
Damn Jimmy.
Its winter at your place like 10 months a year aint it?
Maybe not 10 months but at least 6
2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #21
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdrms View Post
Hey 2up, how does the salt effect your bike? Does it horribly corrode? Do you wash it often? I'm trying to envision this thing through till spring and want to cover all bases
Corrosion not to bad, but does happen. Some preventative steps I have started after I found corrosion.
1) Coat the front of the engine with rubberized undercoating.
2) Under the tool pack there is a tray with a few relays and a very small drain hole. After washing the bike a few years ago the water did not drain and corroded the connector completely. Replaced the relay and connector and I drilled a larger hole to let water drain. No more issues.
3) remove the tailight and coat connections with dialectric grease

I do like the idea of coating the entire bike and may do that to the F8 this year
2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upadv View Post
Maybe not 10 months but at least 6

I went out for quick 150 today.Couldnt even feel the Heated hand grips on high over 70mph.
Wasn't to bad really.But,,,,,its time to go find the Gerbings.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I've used the ACF-50 protectant for the last two winters. I ride year round. Yes, the acf-50 attracts grime like a magnet, but the stuff does seem to protect against corrosion. This is from a few weeks back, still cleans up pretty well.
How does it work on the wheels? Any issues with it getting on the tires? I did a few rides on my KLR during some warm days last winter and despite washing the bike with soap and water as soon as I got home there was noticeably more corrosion on the rims and spokes.

Also where are you located? Do they salt the roads where you live? Around here the roads are white with salt pretty much from the first snow and into April.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
How does it work on the wheels? Any issues with it getting on the tires? I did a few rides on my KLR during some warm days last winter and despite washing the bike with soap and water as soon as I got home there was noticeably more corrosion on the rims and spokes.

Also where are you located? Do they salt the roads where you live? Around here the roads are white with salt pretty much from the first snow and into April.

You using a pressure washer?And what chem are you cleaning with?

Old 11-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
You using a pressure washer?And what chem are you cleaning with?
Garden hose and dish soap. I think the real problem is that KLRs are made out of recycled gum wrappers

Did you ride the WRR? They have plenty of power for heated gear
Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Garden hose and dish soap. I think the real problem is that KLRs are made out of recycled gum wrappers

Old HotWheels.

Sounds like ya need a pressure washer.Itll get all the bad stuff a garden hose misses.Of course used the right way with a bike,and watching the certain spots.
In the winter Ive had luck,after washing with Purple power,spray'n the bike with PAM.All the bad comes right off next time you wash.
It was an old mud trick im sure others have done or do.But it works for me.

AWM screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 01:55 PM
Old 11-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
I don't think you can stop corrosion from happening if you ride on salted roads. All you can do is try to minimize it.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #28
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
I don't think you can stop corrosion from happening if you ride on salted roads. All you can do is try to minimize it.
I agree. I get my truck undercoated yearly with Fluid Film and that seems to help. I don't think I'd want to put it on my bike's wheels, though as it would fly off and I wouldn't want it oozing onto the tires. It's pretty greasy stuff. That's why I asked about the AC50 and bike wheels.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdrms View Post
ha ha don't buy my used bikes....the guy that bought this bike on ebay asked me if it came with a battery tender. I said no, it's never been idle for more than a month. But how can that be, you live in NH...um yeah...
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
I agree. I get my truck undercoated yearly with Fluid Film and that seems to help. I don't think I'd want to put it on my bike's wheels, though as it would fly off and I wouldn't want it oozing onto the tires. It's pretty greasy stuff. That's why I asked about the AC50 and bike wheels.
There is corrosion X also.http://www.corrosionx.com