ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #31
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
How does it work on the wheels? Any issues with it getting on the tires? I did a few rides on my KLR during some warm days last winter and despite washing the bike with soap and water as soon as I got home there was noticeably more corrosion on the rims and spokes.

Also where are you located? Do they salt the roads where you live? Around here the roads are white with salt pretty much from the first snow and into April.

Cover the tires with some newspaper if spraying. Get the spray can and warm it up a bit to increase atomization. I apply to wheels and spokes with a rag. Salt is a constant in the DC winters, not as bad as Syracuse, but not ideal, either.
NoVa Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,733
http://www.fluid-film.com

https://www.facebook.com/GetFluidFilm?ref=ts&fref=ts

bomber1965 screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 07:30 PM
bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #33
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 465
Got my Hippo Hands a couple days back. The website says they've stopped production, so if you're on the fence about ordering a pair, you might want to pull the trigger sooner rather than later.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #34
Mr.P
01 K12RS Taxidriver

Oddometer: 49
Thumb

Good thing I purchased my Hippo hands 6yrs ago.They work great.Fit the Dr650 and the K12RS. Yes I'm still riding everyday.Mainly the DR650.K12rs is too pretty to get all yukked up.Plus a pain in the a^^ to clean.
Mr.P
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #35
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Tires

Got 3 of my bikes set for winter, Going to Rally Stud the F8 for some frozen Dirt road riding Next

Saturday night on the Northway I passed a guy on a cruiser, it was about 20 deg and Intemittent snow squalls. All I could think of was I hope he realizes how slippery it is.
2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
jlambo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Tires & studs?

I was about to order up some Maxi Grip 11 studs for my 990 Adventure and noticed my rear Heidenau Scout may be too worn to safely accept the 10mm depth necessary. Have a pretty fresh TKC80 on the front. Thought about buying a pair of cheaper tires to stud up, D606 or Shinko 700's, something I could remove in the spring. I'm not going to ride every day, but live in Southern Maine where your sure to hit ice, leave work when it's snowing, or just not going to be going out on the weekend without studs. Could also just get a new rear tire, but hate to drop the couple hundred for a TKC or equivalent. Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks
jlambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #37
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlambo View Post
I was about to order up some Maxi Grip 11 studs for my 990 Adventure and noticed my rear Heidenau Scout may be too worn to safely accept the 10mm depth necessary. Have a pretty fresh TKC80 on the front. Thought about buying a pair of cheaper tires to stud up, D606 or Shinko 700's, something I could remove in the spring. I'm not going to ride every day, but live in Southern Maine where your sure to hit ice, leave work when it's snowing, or just not going to be going out on the weekend without studs. Could also just get a new rear tire, but hate to drop the couple hundred for a TKC or equivalent. Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks
The first tires that I studded were TKC's that were half wore out and used the threaded studs from Aerostitch. Those tires lasted me 2 seasons. I never feel comfortable with the front so I always run a tube in the front because the studs do make contact with the inner canvas. I do use the 11mm studs

Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #38
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2upadv View Post
Got 3 of my bikes set for winter, Going to Rally Stud the F8 for some frozen Dirt road riding Next

Saturday night on the Northway I passed a guy on a cruiser, it was about 20 deg and Intemittent snow squalls. All I could think of was I hope he realizes how slippery it is.

Treliborgs on everything.

No screws Jimbo?

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #39
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,143
I'm hoping this thread gets some , er traction, and people use it to meet up for winter trail riding. I'll be mounting up my carbide studs on the dirt bike soon and waiting for the chance to hit some pristine snow covered trails.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #40
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
While I'm not really a hard core winter rider I do commute regularly during the winter on my DR. I just don't get out for longer rides much.
No studs, just knobs.
Spray down the bike with ACF50
Cheap Tusk hand covers from Rocky Mtn ATV ($14)
Homemade heated liner
Heated Gerbing glove liners donated by a fellow inmate. Only use in the low teens or below, otherwise my gloves and hand covers do the job.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #41
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,834
While I usually buy a cheap GL1500 for winter duty, this year's winter bike has 3 wheels. My 2wd Ural is too nice to put in the salt so I picked up this 1wd. I got an original set of Vetter HippoHands off ebay a couple years ago along with a used windshield. This bike gives me a lot less pucker factor on my icy road compared to the GWs of the past few years. Next year I'll keep my eye open for a GL1500 with a sidecar. If I find one I'll put a couple studded car tires on it.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #42
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
I'm hoping this thread gets some , er traction, and people use it to meet up for winter trail riding. I'll be mounting up my carbide studs on the dirt bike soon and waiting for the chance to hit some pristine snow covered trails.
Rob, I cant agree more. So far this winter has been good for Spiked rides up north with a heavy frost and a light coating of snow. Now just 1 more weekend of hunting season and then I can access a lot more trails
Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 AM   #43
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
I'll be watching this thread as well. It may just get me to dive into the world of winter riding

I don't have studded tires but am willing to stud the ones on my 640. Although, I was thinking of buying studded tires from Kevin's Cycles in MA instead.

They have different "options" for studs, everything from pure ice studs that look pretty mean, to subtle studs for pavement. What do you guys recommend for trail riding with very little pavement involved? I know most of our trails are fairly rocky, so does that tear up the studs much?
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
I'll be watching this thread as well. It may just get me to dive into the world of winter riding

I don't have studded tires but am willing to stud the ones on my 640. Although, I was thinking of buying studded tires from Kevin's Cycles in MA instead.

They have different "options" for studs, everything from pure ice studs that look pretty mean, to subtle studs for pavement. What do you guys recommend for trail riding with very little pavement involved? I know most of our trails are fairly rocky, so does that tear up the studs much?
If you are looking at only riding trails that are a mix of frozen ground, ice covered with maybe a little snow the mixed surface studs from Kevins would work. The auto studs are only good for pavement and the long spikes are best if the snow is a few inches deep or packed snowmobile trails.

I am gong to build a set of Pirelli Rally tires with rally studs to do some dirt road riding with limited pavement on the F800 this winter. They should come out like the mixed surface tires Kevin's is selling.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #45
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,143
A new set of rally studded tires will run about $700. Its a good chunk but I can honestly say Ive tried the other options like home made hardware and it's worth it. The carbide tolerates street riding well and should last at least a few seasons of moderate use. I know Manchester Honda in CT carries well made winter trail tires.

look at it this way, the two new tires will run you $200, that leaves $500 for the stud job. That's roughly $1 per stud, and they are quite labor intensive to install. Its not a bad deal at all.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote