Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #826
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617

It was a thrill riding over the Panama Canal Bridge. It is impressive!!!
To see all of the barges full of containers in the canal was so very cool!
Colleen
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #827
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Great Stuff! So good of you both to drag us all along! Thanks and looking forward to the sailboat jaunt.
Thank you. We would appreciate it if someone (you) would follow our SPOT tracks and post them whilst we are out at sea and on the San Blas islands...it would be great for us and everyone to see.

We will stay in Colon one more night and then move to El Carmen, Panama City for two nights, then on to Carti to load our bikes and stay on an island Thursday night and set sail Friday.

With Colleen's WATERPROOF camera we will take many pictures. So prepare fOR a lull, but then prepare for an onslaught once we reach Cartagena, Colombia.

I am so glad we came to Colon. This place has been in the back of my mind since Geography lessons in 1963/4. The teacher I remember was stern, but I loved his class. Wanderlust was inside of me the first time my dad took me to Preston Docks to see the Banana Boats arrive from Colon, Panama...and then the teacher brought it all to life with maps and data.
We waved to the sailors coming up the River Ribble in to Preston and I said to myself......"one day"........."one day".......that day has come......

and next the Darien Gap.....as a born again adventurer I have been fascinated by the 'gap' for many years.
I got here once in 1976....but never got any further.....now Colleen and I get to share a DREAM....going beyond the gap and to the EQUATOR!

Just can't wait to reach the Equatorial Latitude, I love maps, I love Globes.

Although this port area of Colon is poor the people are awesome. We sat out for about two hours waiting for a parade to start. Everyone was black except us....and I mean fingerprints on chocolate black.....but we were treated nicely and smiled at constantly AND scored a six pack of 70c beers, as the hotel beers are $2.25!

TUCKERS screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 08:53 PM
Old 12-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #828
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

This was Corredor Norte to Colon. It was so B E A U T I F U L l....... It reminded me of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Colleen
Old 12-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #829
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

These little ones were checking out of The Washtington when we were checking in today.
Colleen
Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #830
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Perhaps James thought one of these came each room. NOT!
Colleen
Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #831
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by EltonAvenue View Post
Don't worry Colleen, they just want to follow his sexy little legs around & view them with envy!!!!(ref;above photo)
Thanks again for the excellent narration & photos guys, & David looks like a nice place to chill out with a coupla beers on a sunny afternoon.

Colleen, check out the camera menu, it should have English instructions in there somewhere, & I look forward to your underwater photos..........

You know, you are right again... James does have lovely legs!

We did get the camera sorted out today and it is now in English!

Underwater???? You don't really believe that that will work, do you???
It just doesn't seems right......
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #832
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

tuckers to tdf

September 2012 seems like a lifetime gone by.............
I am so glad I can ride again.........it's nothing short of a miracle.............

Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #833
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
I am following along on your ride report and loving your style Tucker. Nothing quite as spirited as a British flyweight. My lovely wife is from High River. The best lunatics are just south of there in Nanton,
PS judging by Colleen's taste in music she and i would get along famously. Safe Travels

I have not had my music on since Guatemala. I do miss listening to my tunes.
I imagine I'll have time on the Stahlratte. I have molded earplugs. They are the best. You hear nuances on songs that you didn't know where there before.

The downside of that is that it's not as clear hearing James talking to me on our two way radios with my earplugs in. He has to shout. We have a code when I have my earplugs in and am listening to music. James taps his helmet and then I know he wants to communicate something to me. At that point I pause my music and we talk.

I have opted for clearer communication with James these days while we are running through cities and negotiating border entries and exits.

If we happen to have a long stretch of highway ahead of us, I'll hook up again.

Come to think of it, I did listen a bit in Costa Rica. I always now ask if it would be alright if I plug in and listen. Then James knows we will ride quietly without talking back and forth.

We've plenty of miles ahead of us and I'm sure more days of riding and sing- a- longs.
Colleen
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #834
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

tuckers to tdf

It's been a long road to recovery.....my back still hurts....some....

but here I am at the end of the highway.......ready to make that BIG move south.......it certainly is a milestone................

Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #835
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

These are our two Big Agnes inflatable pillows, two pillow cases that I cut down to fit the pillows, one top sheet and the bag that I keep the items in.

I won't use the supplied pillows in most of the places that we stay in.

This bag fits in one section of my side panniers easily. Not needed tonight!
Would not ever be without it on any of our travels.
Colleen

TUCKERS screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 09:15 AM
Old 12-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #836
monkey-butt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I am so glad I can ride again.........it's nothing short of a miracle.............

Yes It sure is a miracle , and after you busted up a really Nice Rockster in my favourite colour I might add. I think I would endure the border graft BS only because those Women Look Fab. and it seems you meet more nice ones than the difficult ones. Have a safe passage and I hope you get your sea legs Quick. Apples and Crackers Colleen. Just incase

Martin
monkey-butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #837
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-butt View Post
Yes It sure is a miracle , and after you busted up a really Nice Rockster in my favourite colour I might add. I think I would endure the border graft BS only because those Women Look Fab. and it seems you meet more nice ones than the difficult ones. Have a safe passage and I hope you get your sea legs Quick. Apples and Crackers Colleen. Just incase

Martin
Yes Martin, it was a sweet bike. I had modified it with Happy trail panniers, Pro-Taper fat bars, hand guards, low exhaust, wave rotors, the works!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #838
oneway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Amazing. As I sit here and learn So much from your travels I am currently nursing a broken leg and ribs from a bout with a SUV in an intersection on my goldwing. You inspire me!!
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #839
kabobD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
BOY!!! Whoop! Whoop!

Grateful for the box of clothes. You must have known! Grateful, too, that you're realizing your dream in pursuing this wonderful adventure. Keep on stretching so that your backs don't give you any trouble. Happy sailing! Love you both!
kabobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #840
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post

Holy crap, what did you hit?
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote