Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,362
Somebody tell that girl to stand on the pegs and she won't biff so easily...
Old 11-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
total_n00b
Bits. Bytes. Bikes.

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Somebody tell that girl to stand on the pegs and she won't biff so easily...
Amen. at least 1/2 of the crashes my kids have are related to "ass on seat" syndrome.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
docjsh
Seoul Rider

Oddometer: 50
http://www.ted.com/talks/gever_tulle..._for_kids.html

Could add trail riding to the list.
docjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
Shesaid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Ummm... you do understand that she staged those pictures with his niece, right? There was no crash, only the illusion of one. Lighten up Francis.
The prize goes to Cliffy109 for realizing that this is a STAGED CRASH.

It's not like I KIDNAPPED her and snuck her off to the woods to ride death-cycles without her parents' knowledge/permission. I'd WAY prefer her to embrace ATTGATT... but I don't out-rank her folks. And they have been perfectly content to let her wear the open face helmet. (And frankly, all too laissez faire about the rest of the gear altogether.)

Ride with Savannah 11-01-13

(Hesaid, setting up the shot, "See? It's gonna look like you're riding over the log...")

("OK, Uncle Matt. Now what do you want me to do?")

("OK, I'm gonna set it down gently, you lay down and put your leg underneath like you crashed...")

(ME: "Now STOP laughing or no one's going to believe you crashed!... Stay there while I take another one with your cell phone so you can text it to your stepmom!")

...and no one's even commented on the post that clearly says no motorized vehicles are allowed in that area.

The crash was supposed to be the ALTERNATE ending of the gif. But we got so carried away with pranking Hesaid's sister, we neglected to get a good fist-pump-of-triumph shot that would make it look like she made that log her bitch... There's always spring, I guess.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,150
...and no one's even commented on the post that clearly says no motorized vehicles are allowed in that area.

Well heh heh heh, those little signs never really stopped me before, so I just assumed....

Good on you folks for getting her out there, looks like she's having a blast! She's already got more and better gear on than I ever had when I was learning, so I think things are just cool.

Doug
Old 11-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #21
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,284
I am the stand in "bad auntie" for the daughters for several friends who are a bit chicken, but recognize the value of risk taking as a way to get more out of life. Corrupting the risk threshholds of minors should be a presidential medal, in my book!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #22
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
well done
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #23
Gooner
DC 43

Oddometer: 133
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
That's awesome,

I'm glad to see there are others that are committed to being a "bad" influence on their nieces and nephews.............now that mine are grown up the next generation is starting, time to influence grand nieces and nephews.

different take on an old country song

Momma don't let your babys grow up to be princesses..............
Old 11-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #25
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
That's awesome,

I'm glad to see there are others that are committed to being a "bad" influence on their nieces and nephews.............now that mine are grown up the next generation is starting, time to influence grand nieces and nephews.

different take on an old country song

Momma don't let your babys grow up to be princesses..............
You know you're doing it right when they're excited to come over and their parents worry. I get a list of things NOT to do with mine.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
You know you're doing it right when they're excited to come over and their parents worry. I get a list of things NOT to do with mine.
I wasn't allowed to talk to my nephew about his "green technology" degree, funny how they both admit it was a poor choice now
Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I'm sorry, I guess I'm missing something here.

As the adults, you are responsible for the gear she wears. It seems prudent- especially engaging in activities the child's mom doesn't particularly like- to take reasoanble precautions to reduce risk of injury.

When child-shaped people ride with me, the do so with as much gear as I wear; when they turn 18, they get to make their own choices. (I'm not above cherry picking threads out of Face Plant to show what can happen w/o proper gear.)

So let her brag to her friends that she crashed so bad, shed have a mouth full of broken teeth if her awesome auntie hadn't hooked her up with a good helmet.
Well, we are fighting a bit of an uphill battle here. The niece is fairly open to the idea of gear, but most of the adults are of the mindset that a helmet is pretty much all the gear you need. Maybe a pair of hiking boots rather than Vans. We're trying to change that, but, as mentioned, it's an uphill battle. She wears the helmet all the time, gloves and boots pretty regularly. The pads take a little encouraging. We're hoping she gets to ride somewhere where some 15yr old boys are, and they tell her she needs gear also.

I mostly wish her parents were more on board with the gear, that would make a big difference.

Someone mentioned the standing up, well, I'm not saying we don't tell her to stand up over obstacles, but mainly we preach the "Don't ride over big logs" mantra. And for these staged pics, standing wasn't as stable as sitting, ready to catch the bike if something happened.

Her parents have seen the GIF now, as well as my parents (her grandparents), everyone thinks it's great, so I guess we did good. Now to start planning the next trip. And GIF.

MV
Old 11-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
So awesome.

If I had a family member who was anti-bike I would so use this. Sadly/Fortunately I have no one to use it on....

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,103
Funny prank. It looks like there was some good riding that day too.

I'm jealous of the Fat Cat. Since MotoGP at Laguna Seca has been cancelled for 2014, we are thinking of doing our annual trip at Pismo Beach instead. My Dorsoduro isn't exactly made for that sort of thing, so I've been drooling over pictures of Fat Cats. A quad is out of the question due to space limitations, and Kimberly is selfish with her DR350.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Funny prank. It looks like there was some good riding that day too.

I'm jealous of the Fat Cat. Since MotoGP at Laguna Seca has been cancelled for 2014, we are thinking of doing our annual trip at Pismo Beach instead. My Dorsoduro isn't exactly made for that sort of thing, so I've been drooling over pictures of Fat Cats. A quad is out of the question due to space limitations, and Kimberly is selfish with her DR350.
Have you seen the pics/thread/video of the guy that made one from a Honda 450? That could sure be a blast in the dunes. When do you make your trip? I'm fairly certain that you're blissfully unaware, but visiting you guys is on our list of trips to make. Shesaid and I remember you from another thread, possibly about your wife taking the MSF course and bike shopping, and upon seeing your location said, that seems like a perfect distance/area for a ride once we start venturing further. We figured we'd ride up and camp somewhere and see if you guys would like to grab a beer. Still not sure when this would be, though we did figure on contacting you first. But our rides are getting bigger, better, and longer:

Parkfield

Two tectonic plates in one ride! If you guys do go to Pismo, it is fairly easy to detour to/through Parkfield, just watch out for the pigs.

MV