Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
NonstopBanana
Thumper Rider

Oddometer: 93
Thank you so much for sharing this, great RR (though I did not have time to digest it all yet).

I am moody and get easily depressed when looking at cloudy landscapes, but there are some sun filled photos than made my jaw drop. China sure seems to be a little more challenging to get to in terms of paperwork involved. Judging by your report, to make it worth while, I think I'll need to take at least 6 months to explore it when I get to it
NonstopBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,927
Wow incredible trip and many great photos, what camera did you use?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
yempaul OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Wow incredible trip and many great photos, what camera did you use?
Using a Canon G1X. No special setting. A lil bit bulky to my liking.
yempaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
TBR
Daily ADV Red China

Oddometer: 462
BRILLIANT DETAILED RIDE REPORT, tip my hat to your group and big thumbs up.....
A lot of the China pics bring back good memories.
TBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
I have been around this forum for a very long time. This is one of my favorite ride reports, ever. Thank you for taking all the time necessary to post such a thorough, well-written, and will photographed account of your adventure. it is very much appreciated
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #21
ADVFlyer
Long Distance Rider

Oddometer: 12
Nice ride report. Many years ago (in the late 1970's) I rode a Honda XL 250 from Adelaide to London. The most memorable (or rather, forgettable) part of my trip in Singapore was having my full face helmet confiscated by the Singapore Police. Sounds like the government is a bit more enlightened these days as your helmets are all full faced!

Thanks for the detailed info.
ADVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
yempaul OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVFlyer View Post
Nice ride report. Many years ago (in the late 1970's) I rode a Honda XL 250 from Adelaide to London. The most memorable (or rather, forgettable) part of my trip in Singapore was having my full face helmet confiscated by the Singapore Police. Sounds like the government is a bit more enlightened these days as your helmets are all full faced!

Thanks for the detailed info.
Never heard of such ruling ... i am still a young lad by the way. The Singapore government encourages uses of full face helmet now.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #23
samonthe
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Await your next big adv trip...well done Yem and SG.
samonthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #24
najisaurus
Tigerist

Oddometer: 23
A very well done ride report.

Would have loved to join you guys!
najisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
ADVFlyer
Long Distance Rider

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yempaul View Post
Never heard of such ruling ... i am still a young lad by the way. The Singapore government encourages uses of full face helmet now.
Just checked my old diary and faded photos - I am in my late 50's now. It reads, "..... had my new Bell full face helmet confiscated by the Traffic Police and issued with a S$100 fine ....... I am not going to pay this one....". Traffic cop explained politely that motorcyclists are not allowed even to wear clear visors over their faces, in fact, nothing that obstructs from the forehead to the chin. Tried to explain that full face helmets are safer but he kept saying only thugs used them for bank robberies. Also from my diary, the newspapers at that time were promoting having 2 children only as ZPG (Zero Population Growth) was the big news, Cliff Richard was banned from performing unless he got a haircut, etc. I made it as far north as Thailand, then had to back track to Penang to ship my bike to India. The Asian Highway from London to Singapore, through Burma was closed permanently, as I recalled.

Nice RR, by the way. Wish I could have ridden China, but it was under Mao and strict communism then and very insular.
ADVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #26
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 782
Fantastic RR. Simply stunning images, great effort by all the riders.

Quote:
Just checked my old diary and faded photos - I am in my late 50's now. It reads, "..... had my new Bell full face helmet confiscated by the Traffic Police and issued with a S$100 fine ....... I am not going to pay this one....". Traffic cop explained politely that motorcyclists are not allowed even to wear clear visors over their faces, in fact, nothing that obstructs from the forehead to the chin. Tried to explain that full face helmets are safer but he kept saying only thugs used them for bank robberies. Also from my diary, the newspapers at that time were promoting having 2 children only as ZPG (Zero Population Growth) was the big news, Cliff Richard was banned from performing unless he got a haircut, etc. I made it as far north as Thailand, then had to back track to Penang to ship my bike to India. The Asian Highway from London to Singapore, through Burma was closed permanently, as I recalled.

Nice RR, by the way. Wish I could have ridden China, but it was under Mao and strict communism then and very insular.
I lived in Penang in the 1970's, Dad had a Honda 90, only open face helmets were allowed. There were signs up in all the government buildings that long haired people had to be served last. Backpackers were given extensive searches at border crossings.
As a family we travelled without any problems, visited Singapore many times, also lots of other places in SE Asia. Really enjoyed my time travelling (even though I was 10-12 years at the time).

Well done Paul.
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #27
yempaul OP
Adventurer

Quote:

You recorded all those? I do remember the 2 child policy tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
Fantastic RR. Simply stunning images, great effort by all the riders.

I lived in Penang in the 1970's, Dad had a Honda 90, only open face helmets were allowed. There were signs up in all the government buildings that long haired people had to be served last. Backpackers were given extensive searches at border crossings.
As a family we travelled without any problems, visited Singapore many times, also lots of other places in SE Asia. Really enjoyed my time travelling (even though I was 10-12 years at the time).

Well done Paul.
Penang is still a lovely place. Love the food there. Thanks guys
Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,112
the pics are absolutely awesomely stunning! without a doubt, one of the top reports/trips on this forum. there is just so much in that part of the world that us westerners have yet to be able to see.... i am totally envious.....

and i think the pic of the chinese geezers giving the 'ADV Salute' is probably the best one of the bunch.... hehehehe.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #29
superfunkomatic
Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer: 92
Thumb

What an inspiring adventure. Thank you for sharing.
superfunkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #30
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
thanks for posting! china is my dream ride.
thomas.tc.young is online now   Reply With Quote