ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
IanC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Alternative Tubeless Rims

I'm off on a 3-4 month trip this summer, quite a bit off-road, and won't be able to get new rims in a hurry!

I know many people have dented stock rims. I have a few questions though:

1. Is it only the front that's vulnerable?

2. If I stick with stock, and dent it, is the rim likely to be useable with a tube at a push?

3. I really like tubeless, served me well with GS's for many years. Does anyone make a stronger rim for the R? I'm sure I read here that someone had (Ken/Powercell I think?).

4. If I change rims, should I fit a narrower one? I like TKC's, and it seems the 90/90 21 needs a narrower rim if possible to give a round profile. But will this mess up road handling? There must be a reason KTM fit the width they do!

Thanks in advance!

IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
scudrunner82
combustion addict

Oddometer: 2,474
Are your stock rims dented?

The OEM rims are stronger than they get credit for. Keep a safe PSI in them (I run 25 front and 22 rear when off road) and you would have to really catch a rock hard, the wrong way to tweak one. Mine have seen a ton of action in rocks and are as straight as new. Also be sure to keep the spokes properly tensioned.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

My Youtube channel----- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXo...kdER0Y5QfoE9gQ
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Stock wheels fine

I have beaten the crap out of the stock tubeless wheels on my R. I run Heidenau's *at full pressure* and they haven't lost any air. I M talking about high-speed over bay heads and sharp rocks.

This off season I sent my wheels to Woody's for truing just to be safe. They found 1 small ding on the rear wheel.

I am sold on these wheels. They certainly are stronger than the shockers on my 2010 990.

Ted
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #4
IanC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Well maybe their supposed softness is being magnified by the internet! However it does seem strange that even KTM are sort of saying they're soft, by selling aftermarket 'Heavy Duty Tube Type' wheels in their 2015 Powerparts catalogue.

My stock ones are fine, but they've not had much abuse so far. My GSA ones did have a LOT of abuse (I used to run 15 front and 20 rear off road with TKC's). While the front was a little mis-shaped, I never lost air. The worst with those ones is that the projection of the rim would get a lot of cosmetic damage from rocks. However I'd put some of those on if they'd fit (they don't, even from an HP2. Wrong number of spokes and spoke direction).

I'm just trying to cover myself against having an unusable wheel somewhere like Mongolia, I wouldn't bother if only riding locally. But maybe carrying tubes will suffice?

IanC screwed with this post 04-14-2015 at 02:25 AM
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote