Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #46
Plaka
Banned

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimikk View Post
I'm getting a new tube and a pushrod along with the gaskets/seals, just to be sure. Not really sure what is the drift thing that you guys are talking about. My russian brain doesn't translate it to anything that makes sense. Is it a tool for taking those tubes out?
You can use it for that. it drives the tube down out of the head. For what you have, a pair of vice grips clamped just above the ring and a hammer is fine. The tube is trashed.

You use the drift later to drive the tube down slightly and tightly into the seal.

look in your manual.

Read snowbum on installing those tubes. I made a special tool for it. See homemade special tools thread.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #47
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,039
Quote:
I'm getting a new tube and a pushrod along with the gaskets/seals, just to be sure. Not really sure what is the drift thing that you guys are talking about. My russian brain doesn't translate it to anything that makes sense. Is it a tool for taking those tubes out?
The tool that Plaka is still talking about is for the earlier models that have the smaller diameter pushrod tubes with movable rings on the tubes that butt against the pushrod tube seal. The tool is intended to move JUST the ring, NOT the entire tube. It looks like your setup is the later version larger diameter tubes with NON movable rings.

You do not use the earlier style drift to drive the entire tube with their fixed seal compression rings to tighten the squish on the rubber pushrod tube seal. You set the later pushrod tubes to the proper depth in order to get the proper squish on the seals and LEAVE it. The interference fit of the tubes is not intended to be moved at all once it is set. The drift Plaka refers to puts way too much sideways pressure on the tube cocking it in the cylinder causing leaks and a loose fit. IF Plaka is getting his advise from snobum and I suspect he is, snobum is not right on this subject. No surprise there. It can go either way about 50% of the time from what I can tell.

You still need a drift to get the pushrod out of the cylinder. Heat the cylinder. I think I saw someone using an axle? Anything that works. I made mine on a lathe. When you drive the new one in to the heated cylinder, don't mess up the seal's sealing surface with your socket or whatever you are using. The seal SEALS against that ring! Good luck!

supershaft screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 08:54 AM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #48
dimikk OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks! I will have an update when the parts are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that none of it really NEEDS fixing. If Rommel and the North Afrika Corp was after me I would fix it like Plaka is suggesting. Otherwise, I would fix it right. Motorcycling, when done right, has enough REAL drama. No need to invent the stuff unless you are one of that type that never gets out of the garage for making all your drama there.
Dude, it's almost a winter time, so i may as well do some wrenching. I havent' held a screwdriver in my hand in 5 years of getting an automotive engineering degree, so i'm desperate for a garage drama

There is another thing that needs to be done to this bike. I took the subframe off. Want to cut it down to 3/4 and make a new seat, smaller and nicer. Also wanted to relocate the brackets where the shocks get mounted,move them closer to the tank so the angle is sharper. Has anybody done it before? It will probably make it a little stiffer. or much stiffer
dimikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #49
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,039
Quote:
Thanks! I will have an update when the parts are here.

Dude, it's almost a winter time, so i may as well do some wrenching. I havent' held a screwdriver in my hand in 5 years of getting an automotive engineering degree, so i'm desperate for a garage drama

There is another thing that needs to be done to this bike. I took the subframe off. Want to cut it down to 3/4 and make a new seat, smaller and nicer. Also wanted to relocate the brackets where the shocks get mounted,move them closer to the tank so the angle is sharper. Has anybody done it before? It will probably make it a little stiffer. or much stiffer
Softer. Depending on the angle. It will also give you more ride height and travel. With the same shock that is. The more you lean it over, the softer it gets.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #50
dimikk OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
fork seals

whats up fellers!

So i was planning to replace the pushrod tube and seals during the holidays, but since MAX BMW messed up my order and shipped parts to somebody else (then shipped parts to me, but missing head gaskets and drei bond) i decided to replace leaking fork seals. Fork oil was very dirty, almost black and found some dirty paste on the inside of sliders:

There is much more on the bottom of the slide.
Only one seal was leaking. Non leaking had the same shit inside.
So I don't know if it is dirt or something else..
Want to rinse it with gasoline and maybe acetone after.

Also brake caliper bolt plug/spring seemed weird to me:

hopefully max bmw will figure out their shit on friday and overnights the rest of my parts so i can get it done this weekend

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
dimikk is offline   Reply With Quote