Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #137
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Nice read from Alex Briggs on Jeremy Burgess

http://www.wrenchracer.com/1/category/all/1.html
Thanks for sharing. So is Alex also taking a paid year off?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #138
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Nice read from Alex Briggs on Jeremy Burgess

http://www.wrenchracer.com/1/category/all/1.html
Jeepers, that was one of the greatest posts all time on this forum! And swimmer, don't give me any shit for my post about its relative value... Motorcycle racing is passionate for everybody involved. It doesn't get much better than that one interview. Such passion!

My #2 son had finished a successful day as a novice at Loudon a few years ago. All weekend his pit garage was filled with people coming and going to chat about how his day went or how their day went. He was so stoked, since he'd never had an experience like that. The sports that he grew up doing were very different. I told him then in the garage as we were rebuilding his wrecked CBR; 'These are your people'. And he embraced them.

Really, there isn't anything out there quite like motorcycle racing. Our hero's are the most worthy there is, at any level.

Simo!!!!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #139
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,438
Excellent Krop. Thanks!

I expect it will be tougher and tougher sledding in the future in the land of mega $$$ and mega egos. Those $$$ may find decreased space for the "aging" egos.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #140
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
My #2 son had finished a successful day as a novice at Loudon a few years ago. All weekend his pit garage was filled with people coming and going to chat about how his day went or how their day went. He was so stoked, since he'd never had an experience like that. The sports that he grew up doing were very different. I told him then in the garage as we were rebuilding his wrecked CBR; 'These are your people'. And he embraced them.
I completely agree about motorcycle racers, but I must ask because I am confused? This was a successful day of racing where your son wrecked his bike, what is an unsuccessful day for him like?

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #141
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I completely agree about motorcycle racers, but I must ask because I am confused? This was a successful day of racing where your son wrecked his bike, what is an unsuccessful day for him like?
Yeah, you are right about that not being such a great day. But in a typical club race weekend; the racer will try 4 or 6 races over two days. In this case, junior won a couple times on Saturday and crashed out the first race on Sunday..or maybe it was warm-up. I don't remember because he wrecked a lot of motorcycles in his time.

Somebody has to change the bars, foot controls, zip tie the bodywork etc. That was him and me. After the 'event', the rider walks back if he can. Then the wrecker brings back the crashed bike. There is nothing much to do other than getting the required spares and tools out of the trailer to make the next grid. Not a lot of talk. It is part of the deal and it is repeated more weekends than not.

The most unsuccessful day is when Dad and Mom follow junior to the ER. But for us, those days came out well for both son's. Hence, the real bond of motorcycle racers everywhere, I think. They all know the ER...

There is no greater fraternity than among motorcycle racers I think. So unique, and at all levels. That's why we marvel at the likes of Marky Marque and Cal Crutchlow.

Sorry for the hijack, but i was asked. Will do better in the future.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #142
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,228
Quote:
Yeah, you are right about that not being such a great day. But in a typical club race weekend; the racer will try 4 or 6 races over two days. In this case, junior won a couple times on Saturday and crashed out the first race on Sunday..or maybe it was warm-up. I don't remember because he wrecked a lot of motorcycles in his time.

Somebody has to change the bars, foot controls, zip tie the bodywork etc. That was him and me. After the 'event', the rider walks back if he can. Then the wrecker brings back the crashed bike. There is nothing much to do other than getting the required spares and tools out of the trailer to make the next grid. Not a lot of talk. It is part of the deal and it is repeated more weekends than not.

The most unsuccessful day is when Dad and Mom follow junior to the ER. But for us, those days came out well for both son's. Hence, the real bond of motorcycle racers everywhere, I think. They all know the ER...

There is no greater fraternity than among motorcycle racers I think. So unique, and at all levels. That's why we marvel at the likes of Marky Marque and Cal Crutchlow.

Thanks for that.

Marc, Jorge, Dani, Vale, and the rest aren't just guys on the tv every other Sunday. They've been through the wars, risen to every challenge, distinguished themselves from every peer. Now they're in the ultimate contest. It isn't easy, and the challenges they face can't be fully appreciated by their former peers, nevermind the average fan. Respect is warranted.

Somewhat related: At a MLB game this summer, in the outfield during BP, my dad looked out at all the pros shagging fly balls and warming up arms, and said, "Every one one of these guys is the best player their town has ever seen."

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #143
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,197
Quote:
...There is no greater fraternity than among motorcycle racers I think. So unique, and at all levels. That's why we marvel at the likes of Marky Marque and Cal Crutchlow.

Agreed. It's a bit like soldiers going off to the battlefield together. A bond arises because all share the same risks and dangers together.

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #144
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Thanks for that.

Marc, Jorge, Dani, Vale, and the rest aren't just guys on the tv every other Sunday. They've been through the wars, risen to every challenge, distinguished themselves from every peer. Now they're in the ultimate contest. It isn't easy, and the challenges they face can't be fully appreciated by their former peers, nevermind the average fan. Respect is warranted.

Somewhat related: At a MLB game this summer, in the outfield during BP, my dad looked out at all the pros shagging fly balls and warming up arms, and said, "Every one one of these guys is the best player their town has ever seen."
When I was a kid I played baseball. I was the one of the best if not the best in my town. I got invited to the Dodgers camp for a look see in the summer of 71. It's eye opening to find yourself in a group like that. I had never seen pitching like that. I imagine it's somewhat the same for the racers. I'm kind of thinking of what Josh Herrin might be going through. You either rise to the challenge or don't.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #145
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Jeepers, that was one of the greatest posts all time on this forum! And swimmer, don't give me any shit for my post about its relative value... Motorcycle racing is passionate for everybody involved. It doesn't get much better than that one interview. Such passion!

Really, there isn't anything out there quite like motorcycle racing. Our hero's are the most worthy there is, at any level.

Simo!!!!
Great couple of posts, Pantah! You captured the spirit of club racing very well. I came to racing in my mid-30's, and while I ran out of time and money early on, I'm sure glad I did it! It's all about the people.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #146
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Are you kidding me??

It isn't even 2014 yet and I've already missed the first 10 pages of this thread!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #147
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Are you kidding me??

It isn't even 2014 yet and I've already missed the first 10 pages of this thread!
Would only be six pages if not for Pantah's kid stories. I keed, I keed.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #148
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
If I believed in him, I'd thank Baby Jesus that my kids aren't interested in motorcycles. Will not be sad to know the vice dies with me.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #149
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
If I believed in him, I'd thank Baby Jesus that my kids aren't interested in motorcycles. Will not be sad to know the vice dies with me.
You speak about motorcycles like they are something negative. I'm 3rd generation, and if I had a kid I'd be happy if he/she was interested.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #150
metale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Briggs
Now JB will be able to stop paying that price and his girls, wife, dog and his garage will all be happy to see him.
I thought JB's wife had deceased?
metale is offline   Reply With Quote