Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #151
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
You speak about motorcycles like they are something negative. I'm 3rd generation, and if I had a kid I'd be happy if he/she was interested.
There is not a day goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars that my daughter loves to ride. I am lucky enough to ride with her a lot in many different places of the world. I cherish every second that we spend together. Bikes seem to one of the common bonds that we have.

Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #152
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,216
Quote:
You speak about motorcycles like they are something negative. I'm 3rd generation, and if I had a kid I'd be happy if he/she was interested.
Have a family member and a couple of close friends killed while riding, you might change your tune.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 AM   #153
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by metale View Post
I thought JB's wife had deceased?

This is not the first time someone mentioned this.

No- she was ill but AFAIK still alive and kicking.

VR is looking for ANYTHING that will get him back to the pointy end.

Given the 3 young, FAST amigos ahead of him, I think his only hope is this:

Peabody's Wayback Machine
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #154
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
This is not the first time someone mentioned this.

No- she was ill but AFAIK still alive and kicking.

Claudine Burgess is recovering well, and pretty much fine at the moment. She will be undergoing some reconstructive surgery over the winter, which is time Burgess had already booked off. But she's OK.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #155
metale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Nice to hear that, thank you.

Has JB writen any book? Sounds like it would be a good read.
metale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #156
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by metale View Post
Nice to hear that, thank you.

Has JB writen any book? Sounds like it would be a good read.
Not yet, but he did say he would be writing one. I reckon it will be ready by Christmas next year.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #157
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Have a family member and a couple of close friends killed while riding, you might change your tune.
Would you say the same thing about driving a car if you had a family member and a couple of close friends killed while driving?
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #158
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
If I believed in him, I'd thank Baby Jesus that my kids aren't interested in motorcycles. Will not be sad to know the vice dies with me.
Well since we are on the topic of kids, the riding issue is a dichotomy for me. I want my kids to share in my passion, but do not want them to ever get hurt, fully knowing how dangerous motorcycles are. Now his mom says she never wants to see him on a motorcycle, but then brings him out for shots like this....her idea.

The one side good little thing, is daddy is the one that gets up with him on Sunday mornings(Daddy sleeps in Saturdays when I can), and whether it is w SX/MX I had on the DVR or MotoGP*, little man would stop his fussing and watch the racing with daddy.

* there is relevance to thread.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #159
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,310
Quote:
I've had friends killed while riding, family members killed in car crashes, & lost friends/family in other untimely deaths. Doesn't stop me from riding, or driving, riding in a plane, or walking, etc. Life is for the living.
Motorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #160
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Yeah, you are right about that not being such a great day. But in a typical club race weekend; the racer will try 4 or 6 races over two days. In this case, junior won a couple times on Saturday and crashed out the first race on Sunday..or maybe it was warm-up. I don't remember because he wrecked a lot of motorcycles in his time....
Thanks, I remember and you describe it very well. Your son was lucky to have you there. I was glad I had two bikes some days.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #161
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
I've had friends killed while riding, family members killed in car crashes, & lost friends/family in other untimely deaths. Doesn't stop me from riding, or driving, riding in a plane, or walking, etc. Life is for the living.
A lot of people die in the shower, but I wouldn't advocate wearing a helmet in the bathroom, or not bathing. It's about risk vs. reward. I love motorcycles, but there's very little to recommend them beyond personal pleasure. There are better, less risky, less polluting outlets for competition, excercise, travel, etc. I'm not saying everything we do needs to advance the species, but I don't buy moto romanticism.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #162
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 866
This conversation now reminds me of this...

Old 11-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #163
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
If I believed in him, I'd thank Baby Jesus that my kids aren't interested in motorcycles. Will not be sad to know the vice dies with me.
Quote:
Quote:
A lot of people die in the shower, but I wouldn't advocate wearing a helmet in the bathroom, or not bathing. It's about risk vs. reward. I love motorcycles, but there's very little to recommend them beyond personal pleasure. There are better, less risky, less polluting outlets for competition, excercise, travel, etc. I'm not saying everything we do needs to advance the species, but I don't buy moto romanticism.
Time to hand over your 2014 MotoGP thread cards. Don't forget your purses on your way out.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #164
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
It doesn't stop me either. But I don't encourage people to ride. Especially not on the street.

What I do is not equal to what I encourage others to do.

Nor does it mean I am against others riding. I was simply offering a reason why some wouldn't want their kids to ride.

Y'all are a touchy lot.

If I had a kid, he or she would probably be riding as much as they might want to.

And anyone who has ever gone racing knows what kind of a financial black hole that is.

Old axiom: if you want to make a small pile of money in racing, start with a large pile. It is true. Very few Earl Haydens out there.

So there are several reasons to be relieved ones kids aren't interested in motorcycles.

I am in for life. No escape. Personally, my itch cannot be scratched riding on the street ( ). I need off road or a closed course to get the buzz I desire.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #165
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
Time to hand over your 2014 MotoGP thread cards. Don't forget your purses on your way out.
You learn how to slide the front end, on purpose, on pavement, yet?

I kid, I kid.