Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 AM   #2071
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,913
For the first time ever, I haver been able to watch all pratice sessions and it is amazing just how easily it seems that Marc put down fastest laps.

Good to see Jorge find something during the last session and I would expect him to podium at the end of the race.

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #2072
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Wicked So I got this 'goin for me.....which is nice....

Hoping for another battle for these 2 riders, got the hat signed at COTA this year.
Marquez on the left and Rossi on the right, getting Rossi's was not easy even though he signed more things than any of the other riders that weekend I thnk. I just stood at the end of the line and found a 1 ft opening and shoved the hat in as far as I could and felt a tug on it and then the scratching of the sharpie, pulled it back and waa laa!

After watching Marquez in person I think the only person that is going to beat Marquez is Marquez....that said Rossi has developed an impressive version of the Marquez hanging off the bike style in a lot of corners, the Honda is just too much for the Yamaha at tracks like COTA, hopefully it will be better for the Yamaha's in Argentina today.
Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 01:58 PM
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #2073
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
He could be right where it was when he had Burgess in the pit with him last year.

MM is amazing to watch, but one of those close calls has to catch up with him eventually. Hopefully he isn't injured when he and the laws of physics have a difference of opinion on how fast he can go.
Just remember that Vale had luck on his side for the better part of 10 years.

I would equate Rossi as taking over where Doohan left off, dominating a field of also rans.

To me, Marquez has jumped into the deep end of "the Aliens" and is dominating them. The only unknown is Stoner.

Doohan and Rossi can't help that their rivals weren't up to the task. But Marquez is dominating the dominators.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #2074
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,587
We'll put.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #2075
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post

I would equate Rossi as taking over where Doohan left off, dominating a field of also rans.

To me, Marquez has jumped into the deep end of "the Aliens" and is dominating them. The only unknown is Stoner.

Doohan and Rossi can't help that their rivals weren't up to the task. But Marquez is dominating the dominators.

MM is loaded with talent-guy can ride and doesn't crash. But, he is also on a clearly superior bike. I believe in talent winning races, but, races like cota a couple weeks ago-1st place is 20 seconds ahead of 3rd place, there is more than just talent seperating MM from the rest of the group!! He was able to absolutely walk away from JLo today-yamaha has nuttin to give to keep up!!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #2076
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:

I'll buy this argument for Doohan but not Rossi.

There was plenty of talent during the early 4-stroke era. Some of those riders were only at their peak in MotoGP for a few years but Gibernau, Barros, Biaggi and others were very fast and very tough competitors. There also wasn't such a gap between the factory and satellite bikes as there is today. Satellite riders actually won races which just doesn't happen any more. Rossi certainly dominated the era. That domination was from talent rather than luck or racing against a bunch of chumps.

-signed not a Rossi fanboy.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #2077
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post

There was plenty of talent during the early 4-stroke era. Some of those riders were only at their peak in MotoGP for a few years but Gibernau, Barros, Biaggi and others were very fast and very tough competitors. There also wasn't such a gap between the factory and satellite bikes as there is today. Satellite riders actually won races which just doesn't happen any more. Rossi certainly dominated the era. That domination was from talent rather than luck or racing against a bunch of chumps.

Agree, but the current crop of aliens are, to me, a step above those guys. If Rossi had 99 and 26 to run against, I don't think he would have won as much.

And I am a Rossi fan.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #2078
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,913
The first few laps were SENSATIONAL!!

I thought that a few riders in the lead bunch might have ended up in the gravel trap.. I was on the edge of my seat. How easily did Marc move through the bunch to get on the back of Jorge. I think Marc is maturing each race, once he caught Jorge, he bided his time for a while before making his move.

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #2079
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Agree, but the current crop of aliens are, to me, a step above those guys. If Rossi had 99 and 26 to run against, I don't think he would have won as much.

And I am a Rossi fan.
However, Vale did have those guys to run against, and until he broke his leg, he won a lot. True, Jorge and Dani were not at the top of their game at that time, but I look at them as eclipsing Rossi because of his two lost years at Ducati. They had to raise their game because Rossi was so good.

If Rossi stayed at Yamaha, I bet he would have been champion at least one of the years since.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #2080
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
The only unknown is Stoner.
yeah but ... stoner finished 3rd in his second year on the honda. it's not like stoner was a giant astride the grid.

some might argue that -- like rossi in 2010 -- stoner broke a bone and put himself out of a likely championship; otoh, they both got injured when they weren't at the top of the standings, so the argument is a little weak.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #2081
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:

Doohan dusted Biaggi, Barros, and KRJR.

Once Pedrosa, Stoner and Lorenzo made the scene, Rossi was no longer dominant and even lost to the likes of Nicky Hayden.

What Marquez is doing is the equivalent of showing up in the Lawson, Rainey, Schwantz, and Doohan era and beating them all in his rookie year.

Doohan didn't win Championships until they were all gone, or in the case of Schwantz, all but gone.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #2082
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
yeah but ... stoner finished 3rd in his second year on the honda. it's not like stoner was a giant astride the grid.

some might argue that -- like rossi in 2010 -- stoner broke a bone and put himself out of a likely championship; otoh, they both got injured when they weren't at the top of the standings, so the argument is a little weak.
What ever you want to tell yourself.

Stoner's path to the top was uphill in both directions and against all odds. He wasn't supposed to be the one. Sheer talent and will took him there. The path was virtually paved for the likes of Pedrosa, Rossi, and Lorenzo. Not to take anything away from any of them, but credit to Stoner where it is due. He was a second class citizen, at best; persona non grata, at worst. I don't care if you like him or not.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #2083
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,415
I give a lot of credit to Stoner. Would have been really great to see him vs. Marquez on factory bikes.

He was on another level, especially on the Ducati. But also the year he won the title with them, there were several factors, that all contributed to this result - Stoner still being the single most important ingredient. But, it was that one year, and after that, a long downhill for Ducati, even when Stoner was still there.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:22 AM   #2084
gco0307
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:

I won't buy it for Doohan as it is often overlooked (forgotten even) that Doohan was dominating Rainey, Schwantz, Gardner, Sarron and many more right up until his broken leg accident at Assen that then cost him the remainder of that season (remember that he showed up to race when he could not walk) and the following season (Rainey's tragic season/Schwantz championship) before he started his run of five straight.

Rossi on the other hand had an injured Criville, a fit but erratic Capirossi, Gibernau and the perennial flawed genius of Biaggi, then came Stoner, Lorenzo and the recent history.

To me, Rossi had an easier time than had Doohan (not to diminish as you can only race those that are against you) as well as the impacts of moving to four stroke to which he adapted but which ruined the careers of McCoy, Biaggi, Abe etc

gco0307 screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 01:27 AM
gco0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:29 AM   #2085
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
He was on another level, especially on the Ducati.
He steered with the rear, like MM. I bet MM would do just fine on the Ducati.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote