Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #3211
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhead View Post
This year, I'd substitute Edwards in your comment.
Next year? It could well be a passport thing, but I hold out some hope that being a former premier class World Champion means something.
Passport, Former WC, still can ride though not a front-runner, work ethic, and positive attitude. All of these is why he has a ride and will have one for as long as he wants one.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #3212
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
The guy who hosts us at his house in Indy seems almost convinced that this will be the last year for MotoGP there. He thinks the powers that be will add a race in '15 in a new market like India, Thailand, Brazil,or even a return to China. To keep the schedule at 18 races, Indy would go.

I tell him I haven't heard a thing about adding another country, Indy and DORNA are just jostling for negotiating position. Has anyone else heard anything on this?
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #3213
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
The guy who hosts us at his house in Indy seems almost convinced that this will be the last year for MotoGP there. He thinks the powers that be will add a race in '15 in a new market like India, Thailand, Brazil,or even a return to China. To keep the schedule at 18 races, Indy would go.

I tell him I haven't heard a thing about adding another country, Indy and DORNA are just jostling for negotiating position. Has anyone else heard anything on this?
I don't think so. They do want to add new markets, but the U.S. market is big, and Indy is well attended. I think the key will be how the new layout races and the riders reactions to it.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #3214
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Being surprised at the lack of movement within the Repsol and MoviStar teams pales next to my outright astonishment at the lack of change anywhere else on the grid.
"I'm surprised and astonished the Earth is round and 2 + 2 = 4."
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #3215
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
"I'm surprised and astonished the Earth is round and 2 + 2 = 4."
Will your next observation will be posting the list of prognosticators who predicted that both the factory and Pramac Ducati teams stay the same next season?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #3216
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
With Dovi or Crutchlow likely to take the remaining Suzuki seat (I'd guess they'd prefer Dovi's quiet professionalism), A. Esp. rumored to be in line for a two year contract at Ducati.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #3217
gco0307
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
Someone suggested Dorna have pushed Millers case to increase Australia's TV audience....

Seriously. Checked out Oz's population? What a joke.

Personally I fink Jack going the way he is?...Wish him the best...tough school.
A lot of people seem to forget about another young Aussie who came from 125cc/250cc obscurity with only one good season into the LCR team in it's first year in MotoGP and the results he produced in year one on an inferior machine (not you Bootlace, fully know your memory).

Have said many times and will say it again, talent and results in one class does not mean that the same talent will produce results in another class but that works both ways as it is just as likely that a rider may gel with a machine of larger power even if the results don't seem to be there. Sometimes all people need is a chance and magic can happen

Will Miller star, well all good pundits believe he has a little something special and given that this comes from paddock pundits I will take their words.

Besides Booty, as you mention if it was about dollars for Dorna they would surely concentrate on a large market like Asia, Europe or the Americas not us even if we have the best track :)

gco0307 screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 02:55 AM
gco0307 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #3218
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

You can't argue talent and Stoner clearly had that. Miller shows it sometimes, but is not dominating. Stoner had four seasons of GP racing under his wings when he moved up one 250, then two 125, then one 250. Not like he made the jump from 125 to MotoGP after three seasons on the 125 class.
Plus love him or hate him, many consider Stoner the most talented of all time. Can't really compare anyone to him. Though that opinion is likely going to change as MM keeps winning.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:00 AM   #3219
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
You can't argue talent and Stoner clearly had that. Miller shows it sometimes, but is not dominating. Stoner had four seasons of GP racing under his wings when he moved up one 250, then two 125, then one 250. Not like he made the jump from 125 to MotoGP after three seasons on the 125 class.
Plus love him or hate him, many consider Stoner the most talented of all time. Can't really compare anyone to him. Though that opinion is likely going to change as MM keeps winning.

Oh man...! What have you done......?!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #3220
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,667
Quote:
I don't think so. They do want to add new markets, but the U.S. market is big, and Indy is well attended. I think the key will be how the new layout races and the riders reactions to it.
In contrast to the markets tinhead is talking about, the American market isn't all that big, to be honest.

From what I've seen up here in Canuckistan, Honda is not the company we once knew. There used to be a few Hondas I'd have loved to have in the garage in any model year, and now there's one, a CBR250, and even then I'm not all that lustful of. They own the little bike market (read: all the second world, and that's a couple of billion folks right there), have actively worked to do so, and it shows. But it looks to have been at the expense of the rest of their product lines. Their offerings to NA have reflected in their sales; a pale spectre of their past.

As bikes go, the US isn't the big dog in the room. Asia is. Singapore. Malaysia. India. And soon, China.

Our sales now are a pittance, really. Not like the 60's when it was the key to creating the empire.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #3221
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
In contrast to the markets tinhead is talking about, the American market isn't all that big, to be honest.

Our sales now are a pittance, really. Not like the 60's when it was the key to creating the empire.
A pittance, I tell ya. A lot more margin in a CTX1300 than a Malaysian 125.
Attached Images

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #3222
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
A pittance, I tell ya. A lot more margin in a CTX1300 than a Malaysian 125.
Any evidence of that?

If the bike is being built in India, Malaysia,etc with tax breaks in the build country..Less hassles with emission regs....

Interesting to know the real story on this.

Oh yeah, forgot about cheap labour and all that stuff.....:-(
Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #3223
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Plus love him or hate him, many consider Stoner the most talented of all time.
Bewdy, maybe if your in the Stoner family
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #3224
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,460
Motocuatro.com is reporting that JLo and Yamaha have agreed to a deal to ride for 2015 with an option for 2016. Deal is supposed to be finalized before Indy.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #3225
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,460
Ducati to expand to six bike effort in MotoGP

GP15's to Dovi, Cal and Ianonne; GP14's to Yonny and Avintia.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote