Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #586
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Simoncelli's death was tragic, but he was not as good as he was being made out to be.
I see it a different way. I don't see mourning for Simo's talent as much as I see mourning for his potential, both as a racer and as a much needed personality in The Show.

Stoner didn't exactly set the world on fire in his rookie season and he turned out okay in the record books...
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #587
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
Stoner didn't exactly set the world on fire in his rookie season and he turned out okay in the record books...
Pole in his second race on a satellite bike and second-rate Michelins might not be worth anything in terms of points, but like all the other aliens, Stoner established very clearly and early he was among the fastest. There was no such early potential shown by #58. Granted, in his second MotoGP season he was knocking on the door of podium finishes, but when you look at the first year of both Pedrosa and Lorenzo, there's no comparison. And the Gresini bike was the unofficial factory bike, not like Stoner's '06 satellite LCR.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #588
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 372
I think Redding will do very well with Gresini. He has a decent bike to start with and an experienced team behind him. Is it plausible that if he will show some results with the Honda PR he will eventually inherit Bautista's seat on the real thing?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #589
bxr140
Flame Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
Pole in his second race on a satellite bike and second-rate Michelins might not be worth anything in terms of points, but like all the other aliens, Stoner established very clearly and early he was among the fastest. There was no such early potential shown by #58. Granted, in his second MotoGP season he was knocking on the door of podium finishes, but when you look at the first year of both Pedrosa and Lorenzo, there's no comparison. And the Gresini bike was the unofficial factory bike, not like Stoner's '06 satellite LCR.
Agreed there's no comparison, but I don't think anyone is trying to make that comparison. Nobody is saying he was right there with the aliens.

That said, just as its easy to look past a 8th place finish and highlight the good points of stoners rookie season, Simo definitely showed potential despite the official [premier class] record books, and that's my point. Friend or foe, pretty much everyone agreed that if he learned to control his style a little better, he could have grown into a real contender. Alien? No, but quite possibly a very close best-of-the-rest.

Then there's the personality...
Old 01-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #590
RowBust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Agreed there's no comparison, but I don't think anyone is trying to make that comparison. Nobody is saying he was right there with the aliens.

That said, just as its easy to look past a 8th place finish and highlight the good points of stoners rookie season, Simo definitely showed potential despite the official [premier class] record books, and that's my point. Friend or foe, pretty much everyone agreed that if he learned to control his style a little better, he could have grown into a real contender. Alien? No, but quite possibly a very close best-of-the-rest.

Then there's the personality...
He was on the podium at Philip Island the week before his death
RowBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 AM   #591
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,185
Quote:
I see it a different way. I don't see mourning for Simo's talent as much as I see mourning for his potential, both as a racer and as a much needed personality in The Show.

When Stoner didn't crash, he finished in the top 6 every race but one from the start of the season. In his rookie year, Rossi was off the podium twice when he wasn't crashing. Pedrosa was only outside the top 4 four times (other than crashes) in his first year. Lorenzo had one win and three podiums in his first five races, then started crashing his brains out.

Simoncelli took 8 races to score his first top-6 finish, then scored four top-6 finishes in the last five races. That's a solid and impressive start, but not the level of a champion. That's Bradl or Crutchlow level, not Lorenzo or Pedrosa level.

MotoGP lost a lot of personality when Simoncelli died. But it did not lose a future champion.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #592
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,836
enough of Simoncelli please ..lets talk about this year if that's ok

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #593
bxr140
Flame Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mb3r View Post
enough of Simoncelli please ..lets talk about this year if that's ok
Chill. If there was something to talk about, we would be...
Old 01-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #594
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,510
Stoner woulda coulda shoulda
Ok, NOW lets get back to this year!!! Im thinking jorge is working his ass off training, pedro? Dont know, first couple races will tell. Marqy, oh hell yeah, he's gonna be fast. Vale? Might get some podiums when others push too hard and crash.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #595
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,268
It's a given that Honda and Yamaha will battle for supremacy, so I'm curious to see how Ducati responds to its recent dismal performance. And how will its riders cope if substantial progress isn't evident? I think it's about time to end the excuses and produce decent results or go home (WSBK).
viajero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #596
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Some plots I'm looking forward to seeing playing out:

Crutchlow vs. Tech 3. Will #35 make Poncharal deeply regret his contract decisions?

Rossi vs. Burgess. If he doesn't do better this season, his decision to drop Burgess is going to look a little shabby.

Pedrosa without Puig. Any difference?

Marquez vs. the world. Will he just keep doing what he did last year? Will the new rollover penalty points system eventually cost him?
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #597
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Will the new rollover penalty points system eventually cost him?
What is this "new rollover penalty points system" all about?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #598
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,197
I'm remembering watching Marquez stalk Pedrosa in Austin last year, then watching him win. We were talking about how that was probably just a fluke, beginners luck, etc. I'm expecting to see more of Marquez this year, much more, but really really hope that the others can take it to him and make it some real racing. That includes Rossi, I'd love to see the old dog bark loud one more time.

We will know it's real racing if people are getting pissed off about getting bumped during passes.

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #599
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
It's a given that Honda and Yamaha will battle for supremacy, so I'm curious to see how Ducati responds to its recent dismal performance. And how will its riders cope if substantial progress isn't evident? I think it's about time to end the excuses and produce decent results or go home (WSBK).
I wouldn't expect much from Ducati out of the box. ( )

I am not holding my breath for down the line, either.

Quote:
Crutchlow vs. Tech 3. Will #35 make Poncharal deeply regret his contract decisions?
Herve would have kept Cal if he could. The contract offer was up to Yamaha.

Quote:
Rossi vs. Burgess. If he doesn't do better this season, his decision to drop Burgess is going to look a little shabby.
What are the chances they recall Burgess at some point?

Burgess is under contract to Yamaha for 2014. Would you put him with Espargaro? I would sure think about it.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #600
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post

What are the chances they recall Burgess at some point?

Burgess is under contract to Yamaha for 2014. Would you put him with Espargaro? I would sure think about it.
Why would JB be interested in that? In all probability by his own high standards Rossi is a spent force in MotoGP and will continue to rack up fourth place finishes (with the odd higher finish if the Armada falters) until he retires. History will record that Rossi faded with age not because JB became anything less of a genius as a crew chief. I think Jerry will be happy enough to go forward into retirement as the guy who masterminded multiple championships for Rossi and Doohan rather than risk his reputation trying to regain past glories with a rider who is almost certainly destined to become Marquez's bridesmaid during the next era of MotoGP. The prospect of trying to overcome Marquez must be a daunting one for anyone in the sport for the foreseeable future!

Jurassic screwed with this post 01-29-2014 at 08:13 AM
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote