Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #601
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
When Stoner didn't crash, he finished in the top 6 every race but one from the start of the season. In his rookie year, Rossi was off the podium twice when he wasn't crashing. Pedrosa was only outside the top 4 four times (other than crashes) in his first year. Lorenzo had one win and three podiums in his first five races, then started crashing his brains out.

Simoncelli took 8 races to score his first top-6 finish, then scored four top-6 finishes in the last five races. That's a solid and impressive start, but not the level of a champion. That's Bradl or Crutchlow level, not Lorenzo or Pedrosa level.

MotoGP lost a lot of personality when Simoncelli died. But it did not lose a future champion.
It's great to see stats like that. I tend to just watch the races and go oooh ahhh or
Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #602
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
Why would JB be interested in that?

Because he is under contract. And wouldn't helping to start a new rider down a successful path for his career be rewarding?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #604
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Why would JB be interested in that? In all probability by his own high standards Rossi is a spent force in MotoGP and will continue to rack up fourth place finishes (with the odd higher finish if the Armada falters) until he retires. History will record that Rossi faded with age not because JB became anything less of a genius as a crew chief. I think Jerry will be happy enough to go forward into retirement as the guy who masterminded multiple championships for Rossi and Doohan rather than risk his reputation trying to regain past glories with a rider who is almost certainly destined to become Marquez's bridesmaid during the next era of MotoGP. The prospect of trying to overcome Marquez must be a daunting prospect for anyone in the sport for the foreseeable future!

Well said.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #605
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,215
Quote:
Why would JB be interested in that? In all probability by his own high standards Rossi is a spent force in MotoGP and will continue to rack up fourth place finishes (with the odd higher finish if the Armada falters) until he retires. History will record that Rossi faded with age not because JB became anything less of a genius as a crew chief. I think Jerry will be happy enough to go forward into retirement as the guy who masterminded multiple championships for Rossi and Doohan rather than risk his reputation trying to regain past glories with a rider who is almost certainly destined to become Marquez's bridesmaid during the next era of MotoGP. The prospect of trying to overcome Marquez must be a daunting prospect for anyone in the sport for the foreseeable future!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Because he is under contract. And wouldn't helping to start a new rider down a successful path for his career be rewarding?
This.

And JB has said he is under contract for 2014 and will do what they ask of him.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #606
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 571
I do not think Burges is under contract, instead there was a no compete clause that was in his Yamaha contract, and that is what prohibits him for the 2014 season. Instead of going down as the well loved and respected 9 time champion Rossi is, I think he is slowly digging his own grave. The firing Burgess part just dug that hole deeper. He could have atleast waited to the end of the season to tell him.
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27

Kawasakirob screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 05:54 PM
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #607
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Quote:
The prospect of trying to overcome Marquez must be a daunting prospect for anyone in the sport for the foreseeable future!
Which is why it would be so awesome for Stoner to return with Burgess as his Crew chief. Doubt it will happen, but man, even only for a season or two, that would be amazing. If only Stoner would put down his hot wife and enroll his daughter in daycare for a couple years.....
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Old 01-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #608
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirob View Post
I do not think Burgess is under contract...
I heard him say he was, out of his own mouth, when asked about 2014.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #609
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Was that before he got fired or after? Originally yes he was under contract until 2014, but after Rossi broke up with him that contract has been terminated and the only thing remaining is the no compete clause against Yamaha (that was in the original contract) for 1 year/season.

I could be wrong.
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 AM   #610
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Quote:
I could be wrong.
But I'm not
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Old 01-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #611
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
I thought JB had said he was quite ready to retire already 2-3 years ago? Kinda hard to see him try with a new rider now.

oh, Stoner is coming back - AGAIN??! I wish he was, but that's another thing, that probably ain't happening.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 AM   #612
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Was that before he got fired or after? Originally yes he was under contract until 2014, but after Rossi broke up with him that contract has been terminated and the only thing remaining is the no compete clause against Yamaha (that was in the original contract) for 1 year/season.

I could be wrong.
Quote:
But I'm not
Oh, you are.

It was post season.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #613
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,637
From the horses mouth, so to speak....

So why doesn't JB stay on and work with another young rider, such as Pol Espargaro?

"Once I was a father figure to a young rider, now I'm more like a grandfather figure. Look, after 34 years I'm very happy with where I am and what I've achieved. The journey with a rookie MOTOGP rider can be long, maybe 5 or 7 years."

What obligations does JB have to
Yamaha, who have him on ice for this season?

" I've received no indication that either Yamaha Europe, or Yamaha Japan want me to do anything. But you never know. I may get the call to plug a hole as the season unfolds, but any role offered would have to be something both Yamaha and I agree upon"

Taken from a local interview, last week.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #614
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
I heard him say he was, out of his own mouth, when asked about 2014.
And yes, he is under contract to Yamaha for the full 2014 season. ( The ink had barely dried when VR broke the news...)
Old 01-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #615
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTLACE View Post
And yes, he is under contract to Yamaha for the full 2014 season. ( The ink had barely dried when VR broke the news...)
So Yamaha employs and pays him, but Rossi fired him, and Yamaha gets to keep paying him (and his replacement)?

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote