ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #631
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike Yanagita's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
Sounds like how Hayden felt when he got booted from Honda
If it's any consolation, Alex Criville was fired by Honda two years after he won his championship.

"Midget bike" aside, it would take a foolish Honda VP to bet Hayden would repeat his WC.

/2006_thread_hijack
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #632
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dsilver1007's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Clemson SC
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
If it's any consolation, Alex Criville was fired by Honda two years after he won his championship.

"Midget bike" aside, it would take a foolish Honda VP to bet Hayden would repeat his WC.

/2006_thread_hijack
same foolish VP that has been betting on Dani for a while now....
__________________
If you cant ride it on one, ride it on two
dsilver1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #633
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike Yanagita's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
same foolish VP that has been betting on Dani for a while now....
Who else was available with as good performance?

Lorenzo may have played footsie with Honda, but he was always going to stay with Yamaha.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #634
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
same foolish VP that has been betting on Dani for a while now....
Who also bet on Stoner and Marquez and Hayden, at some point.
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #635
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dsilver1007's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Clemson SC
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Who also bet on Stoner and Marquez and Hayden, at some point.
Very true. This will be Dani's 8th year with Repsol and the big bikes, cant recall the last time Repsol stuck with someone for that long that didn't produce a World Championship. Everyone that has been Dani's teammate (excluding Dovi) has won a title on the same bike he was on.
__________________
If you cant ride it on one, ride it on two
dsilver1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #636
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike Yanagita's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
cant recall the last time Repsol stuck with someone for that long that didn't produce a World Championship.
That really speaks to Honda's generosity towards Hayden from 2003 to 2005, where he had a single race win, and might have been booted but for the U.S. market's influence.

On the other hand, in the words of the team manager: “If you want to have two riders very strong then tell me a name that is going to be stronger than Dani. He has been with HRC a long time and it is true it is a long time without winning the championship but there are only three riders that are in another league. And absolutely Dani is one of them. And if you want to have a very strong team then Dani deserves to be there and I think he will have the same chance to win again.”
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #637
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dsilver1007's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Clemson SC
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
That really speaks to Honda's generosity towards Hayden from 2003 to 2005, where he had a single race win, and might have been booted but for the U.S. market's influence.

On the other hand, in the words of the team manager: “If you want to have two riders very strong then tell me a name that is going to be stronger than Dani. He has been with HRC a long time and it is true it is a long time without winning the championship but there are only three riders that are in another league. And absolutely Dani is one of them. And if you want to have a very strong team then Dani deserves to be there and I think he will have the same chance to win again.”
They were generous to Hayden and the received a World Championship because of it.

Im not saying Dani isnt fast, he is extremely fast. The three riders are in "another league" because they are extremely talented and on the fastest bikes. Its impossible to say with 100% certainty what someone else would do on the same bike. Maybe Bradl would be up there with Lorenzo, Marquez, and Pedrosa if they did a 3rd Repsol bike again. But we will not know for sure (atleast this year). If you were to put all the top three aliens on Ducatis and give other riders there bikes i feel reasonably sure that the aliens would turn into humans again. You never know who will rise to the occasion if given the chance..hell even KR JR won a championship! Maybe Pedrosa will win the title this year and silence all the critics, but if history repeats itself Pedrosa will disappoint.
__________________
If you cant ride it on one, ride it on two
dsilver1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #638
mdubya
Right Brigade
 
mdubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: western, MD
Oddometer: 7,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
Very true. This will be Dani's 8th year with Repsol and the big bikes, cant recall the last time Repsol stuck with someone for that long that didn't produce a World Championship. Everyone that has been Dani's teammate (excluding Dovi) has won a title on the same bike he was on.
No Repsol sponsorship carrying the team without Dani. Until Marquez. In the meantime, Dani is far and away the third best rider in the world, at the very least. He produces race wins and challenges for the Championship every year.

There is no one better to replace him with
__________________
+0
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #639
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike Yanagita's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
Maybe Bradl would be up there with Lorenzo, Marquez, and Pedrosa if they did a 3rd Repsol bike again.
Maybe, but Dovizioso showed a lot of promise before hopping on the factory bike, and while he didn't stink up the place he was never a WC contender.

I guess my short temper about this is that every year it's the same tune from detractors about Pedrosa, but as keeps getting pointed out, without someone obviously better to take his place, a championship is besides the point for Pedrosa's continued employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
They were generous to Hayden and the received a World Championship because of it.
Numbers don't lie, but they don't provide much context either.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #640
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
same foolish VP that has been betting on Dani for a while now....


Oh that's gonna make a few here shed a tear
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #641
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
Maybe, but Dovizioso showed a lot of promise before hopping on the factory bike, and while he didn't stink up the place he was never a WC contender.

I guess my short temper about this is that every year it's the same tune from detractors about Pedrosa, but as keeps getting pointed out, without someone obviously better to take his place, a championship is besides the point for Pedrosa's continued employment.


Numbers don't lie, but they don't provide much context either.


How will we know if someone can ride the Honda faster unless they kick Dani out of the seat?
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #642
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dsilver1007's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Clemson SC
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
How will we know if someone can ride the Honda faster unless they kick Dani out of the seat?
+1 i guess they are basing it off of “Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.”
__________________
If you cant ride it on one, ride it on two
dsilver1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #643
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer
 
stk0308's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: St Charles, MO
Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yanagita View Post
If it's any consolation, Alex Criville was fired by Honda two years after he won his championship.
Wouldn't have had anything to do with him having fainting spells...while on the bike!
__________________
Steven
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2001 Yamaha YZ426F
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #644
Mike Yanagita
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mike Yanagita's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: So. Cal.
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
Wouldn't have had anything to do with him having fainting spells...while on the bike!
Bottom line was Criville (and Hayden) wasn't producing a credible threat to the championship, and wasn't likely to ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
How will we know if someone can ride the Honda faster unless they kick Dani out of the seat?
With an alternate universe generator, silly. Beyond that, we could say Ant West should be given the seat, but it's easy to say when you're not cutting the checks for the racing program.
Mike Yanagita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #645
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.
 
BOOTLACE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Methane Central..(Sth Gippsland)
Oddometer: 3,560
[QUOTE=Mike Yanagita;23345832]Maybe, but Dovizioso showed a lot of promise before hopping on the factory bike, and while he didn't stink up the place he was never a WC contender.

But like JB said, it can take 5-7 years for a rookie to come on strong. Swapping between teams/manufacturers doesn't help.
__________________
bootlace
BOOTLACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014