Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #91
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
there is no bigger fan of todays riders than me. My hero's like Lackey, Weinert, Tony D, etc. aren't even in the same league as Andrew Short and the rest of the 5-15 place riders. Forgetabout the top guys. I'll be 57 in July.

I'm 57 and I agree with this statement.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:58 PM   #92
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
I disagree. Those guys were/are great and rose to the challenges presented to them. It cannot be said whether they'd ride to the occasion now or not. I bet they'd ride to what level they needed to win. It is the desire to do what is necessary to win that makes a champion. The bikes have a great deal to do with what they get away with now. The raw talent is no different than it was then.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #93
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
sorry if I missed it - now that Ryan Villopoto is out, can Kawi give the ride/bike to a substitute racer to fill the teams spot for the season?

edit, found it - "Villopoto’s bike won’t sit idle this summer, as the Monster Energy Kawasaki Team has recruited 2013 Monster Energy Motocross Canadian National Champion Brett Metcalfe to take Villopoto’s place and join Jake Weimer on the team.

RCmoto screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 10:56 AM
RCmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #94
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
I disagree. Those guys were/are great and rose to the challenges presented to them. It cannot be said whether they'd ride to the occasion now or not. I bet they'd ride to what level they needed to win. It is the desire to do what is necessary to win that makes a champion. The bikes have a great deal to do with what they get away with now. The raw talent is no different than it was then.
not sure that I agree with the bike being a big difference. I think it's stepped up the game a lot but the rider fitness is a huge change from days past. the amount and quality of training/fitness of the current crop of riders is way above the level it's ever been, in just about every sport these days. LIke you said though, it's not that the older champs couldn't have risen to these levels, but IMHO they weren't there in the past. They used 80% talent. that's why the good riders could still ride a bad bike and win. These days (not that there are "bad" bikes), the whole package has to be just right to win.

Not that they were slouches, but if you hear about the past riders/champions and what they did in their free time, the riders these days could never do that. yes talent is one aspect of it and that has to be there, but you also have to have the committed work ethic. If you look at some of the top motorcycle riders (not just mx but road racing as well) and their training, it puts them at the top level in other sports as well, primarily bicycling. Look at the results from the Bostrom brother, Ben Spies, etc as well as the bicycle riding ability of dungey and other current MX riders and you'll see where their fitness is.

and yes, I can't wait to see Metty back on a good bike in the US. I think he'll turn some heads.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #95
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)

Oddometer: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmoto View Post
sorry if I missed it - now that Ryan Villopoto is out, can Kawi give the ride/bike to a substitute racer to fill the teams spot for the season?

edit, found it - "Villopoto’s bike won’t sit idle this summer, as the Monster Energy Kawasaki Team has recruited 2013 Monster Energy Motocross Canadian National Champion Brett Metcalfe to take Villopoto’s place and join Jake Weimer on the team.
Hmmmmmm....curious choice.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #96
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Hmmmmmm....curious choice.

Did his job for his 2 main sponsors in 2013, Monster and Kawasaki, in Canada.

Marketing VP at Monster is a former team boss from Kawasaki.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #97
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
not sure that I agree with the bike being a big difference. I think it's stepped up the game a lot but the rider fitness is a huge change from days past. the amount and quality of training/fitness of the current crop of riders is way above the level it's ever been, in just about every sport these days. LIke you said though, it's not that the older champs couldn't have risen to these levels, but IMHO they weren't there in the past. They used 80% talent. that's why the good riders could still ride a bad bike and win. These days (not that there are "bad" bikes), the whole package has to be just right to win.

Not that they were slouches, but if you hear about the past riders/champions and what they did in their free time, the riders these days could never do that. yes talent is one aspect of it and that has to be there, but you also have to have the committed work ethic. If you look at some of the top motorcycle riders (not just mx but road racing as well) and their training, it puts them at the top level in other sports as well, primarily bicycling. Look at the results from the Bostrom brother, Ben Spies, etc as well as the bicycle riding ability of dungey and other current MX riders and you'll see where their fitness is.

and yes, I can't wait to see Metty back on a good bike in the US. I think he'll turn some heads.

Exactly.

Well, not exactly, the bikes these days make the current riders able to do what they do. That and a little natural talent. Champions will always rise to the occasion, competition drives them to look for that little extra edge. 40 years ago if you were in pretty good shape and had talent you could be champion. Today is no different, but because the competition is working harder they all work harder, stick to their training way more than in the past.

But in order to understand the difference the bikes make you need to take a 1970 CZ, Macio, or Husky out on a modern SX or MX track. There has never been a champion that didn't have a really good ride. If you really believe a 'good' rider can win on a 'bad' bike just have a little talk with Valentino Rossi.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #98
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,435
The boys of GlenHelen,

pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #99
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,435
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #100
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansawyer View Post
I see arenacross, gncc, some amateur and atv events. No ama outdoor mx though.

http://www.cyclenews.com/56/Racing/M...-Listings.aspx

This doesn't list Glen Helen. Is anyone broadcasting it?
Glen Helen moto 1 is live on MavTv at 3pm central on the 24th. Moto 2 is on NBCSN at 12am(midnight) central.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #101
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Did his job for his 2 main sponsors in 2013, Monster and Kawasaki, in Canada.

Marketing VP at Monster is a former team boss from Kawasaki.
I think they made a good choice. not too many riders can come in at that level (that don't already have a contract) and make a good mark. I think Metty will surprise a few folks. he was strong the past few years and even before that he rode very well, as far back as his Yamaha of Troy days. He's in shape, he's not injured (like a lot of the riders that have come thru SX this year) and he's got a point to prove. he's been looking to get back into the US racing after winning the canadian championship, and I think he'll do very well with the full factory bike.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #102
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 17,052
Quote:
I think they made a good choice. not too many riders can come in at that level (that don't already have a contract) and make a good mark. I think Metty will surprise a few folks. he was strong the past few years and even before that he rode very well, as far back as his Yamaha of Troy days. He's in shape, he's not injured (like a lot of the riders that have come thru SX this year) and he's got a point to prove. he's been looking to get back into the US racing after winning the canadian championship, and I think he'll do very well with the full factory bike.

I believe he'll be the top Australian this season.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #103
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,123
Quote:

awesome post.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #104
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
The forecast for Saturday is 82*f, no low 100's. I will be there to watch the best MX's in the world on the best natural terrain track in the US, who else will be there?
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #105
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

wish I were going. I've ridden up (and down!) Mt. St. Helens and Talldega before and wish I were there to see how the top riders do it again...

should be a great weekend, and the racing should be spectacular.