User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
JamieDakar2014 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Dakar 2014 - British rider - Charity link

Dear All, I am one of a very small British contingent riding in this coming Dakar rally in January 2014. I wont be contesting the front group, but I will be taking the ‘balls out’ methodology to finish it…..:)

Getting to the start has been epic already, but that is another story….

My reason for putting a new subject line on ADV rider is to highlight the charities I am raising money for whilst I am doing this mental event. Both charities have a real personal link to me, from family members to former colleagues and the work they have some real impact. If you can please put your hands in your pocket, that would be fantastic and make my selfish adventure benefit some others too.

1. Cancer Research UK (This charity need no explanation)

www.justgiving.com/jamiedakar2014

2. Combat Stress – This is a Veterans mental health charity and they have done and currently carry out some fantastic support work, research and development in this area for so for many veterans

www.justgiving.com/jamiedakarCstress

Please give generously, many thanks Jamie

Face book – jamiedakar2014
JamieDakar2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Welcome here Jamie!

Mind sharing some further background? This will create some buyin from the members here
Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Nice idea. Can you explain how donations are managed? Are funds split between your Dakar expenses and the charitable organizations, all goes to you and you simply help raise awareness, or something else?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
JamieDakar2014 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi, thanks for the message

* Donations - Basically all donations go direct to the charities through the 'Just Giving' website. I don't receive a penny, it all goes to these great charities....

* About me....well I am not an expert rider, I have a full time job in London. And I started riding dirt bikes a few years ago. Basically I am a keen amateur who has had a knock to the head !!! Over the past year I have kept focused and have scrimpt together funds, worked hard, saved every penny, sold lots of stuff on ebay, sold my bikes, kept positive, and ploughed through the various physical and psychological hurdles to get to this stage. Trust me, for an amateur biker, it is not easy, but it is achievable.

If you can sponsor these charities, that would be great and make my selfish mental adventure have some extra purpose. Plus it will make me feel like people are relying on me to finish it.

I will keep you up to date as much as I can on my facebook page -
jamiedakar2014

Many thanks, Jamie
JamieDakar2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
skidrow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
You can do it!

Hi Jaime. Good luck on your adventure and stepping out of your comfort level to do the Dakar. I think that it will be an incredible experience. Remember just to finish and not get caught up with anything else other than that as tempting as it may be. That was my mistake and I crashed out on day 3 of 7 in my rally. Despite that it was a great experience as will yours be. Ride safe and have fun! I will be making a donation. Cheers
Old 11-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDakar2014 View Post
Hi, thanks for the message

* Donations - Basically all donations go direct to the charities through the 'Just Giving' website. I don't receive a penny, it all goes to these great charities....

* About me....well I am not an expert rider, I have a full time job in London. And I started riding dirt bikes a few years ago. Basically I am a keen amateur who has had a knock to the head !!! Over the past year I have kept focused and have scrimpt together funds, worked hard, saved every penny, sold lots of stuff on ebay, sold my bikes, kept positive, and ploughed through the various physical and psychological hurdles to get to this stage. Trust me, for an amateur biker, it is not easy, but it is achievable.

If you can sponsor these charities, that would be great and make my selfish mental adventure have some extra purpose. Plus it will make me feel like people are relying on me to finish it.

I will keep you up to date as much as I can on my facebook page -
jamiedakar2014

Many thanks, Jamie
Way to go!! Will be following you arond!!