User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Freshorse OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Euro tour suggestions

Considering Ireland with CelticRider or an alps tour. Roadrunner Magazine does an alps tour or edelweiss. Celtic rider is self guided.
Thoughts? Thanks
Freshorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,591
Not in Ride Reports.. Moved to Trip planning and you could check out the RF: Europe forum.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Freshorse OP
Adventurer

I get it now, thanks!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshorse View Post
Considering Ireland with CelticRider or an alps tour. Roadrunner Magazine does an alps tour or edelweiss. Celtic rider is self guided.
Thoughts? Thanks
Alps are fantastic. Edelweiss are professional. Ireland is fun. Celtic Rider are a good outfit.

You'll have fun either way but for me, if it's the right time of year, the Alps would win hands down. If you'd prefer to ride self-guided and therefore on your own then maybe Ireland but you can do self-guided in the Alps too.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshorse View Post
Thoughts? Thanks
Do your own rather than guided stuff.
All it takes is a plane ticket, a rental bike, some maps + travel insurance and you're off.

Maybe get a few ideas here??

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Do it yourself.

Have not done Ireland......did england and Scotland......was awesome......buy alps were much more impressive......Corsica was very cool too.
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Freshorse OP
Adventurer

Thanks all,

I don't like riding in a group, three or four like minded riders is good but I think a tour group would drive me nuts. I like the idea of a tour laid out such as celtic rider because with limited time I want to hit the best routes. When I'm home I do like to just wander but again I want to get the best I can out of a ten or fifteen day ride. Hard to make the time to do a lot of research for a route.
Corsica is on my short list as well, looks amazing. Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,902
I don't think you can take a rental bike outside of Ireland, unless they have changed their policy's.

WW
Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
rosmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Done most of the tour companies, one trip alone & a couple with a friend. First time I would go with a tour company, they know all the great little roads. I have gone with Beach's through the Alps a good number of times. Think they are the best. You don't ride in big groups & you can do what you want. He shows 2 or 3 routes for the next day, you pick. If you do go it alone check out his route for the 2 weeks Classic Alps Tour, you can't go wrong !!
rosmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosmoe View Post
Done most of the tour companies, one trip alone & a couple with a friend. First time I would go with a tour company, they know all the great little roads. I have gone with Beach's through the Alps a good number of times. Think they are the best. You don't ride in big groups & you can do what you want. He shows 2 or 3 routes for the next day, you pick. If you do go it alone check out his route for the 2 weeks Classic Alps Tour, you can't go wrong !!
+1

Rob, the owner, is along on each tour, so you know things will go well. They've been in business for more then 40 years. if you choose to ride along with Rob you will go places no other tour group will take you. When you ride with Beach's it''s a very personal experience, they're family owned, not a multi continent operation that uses hired rider as guides.

After my first tour with I was so taken by the experience that I now store my own bike in Germany for summer get-a-ways to the Alps.

Paul
Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Freshorse OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice on Beaches, gonna check them out. Sounds like what I'm looking for.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Honda-50
Vet Lurker

Oddometer: 62
Edelweiss is OK Too

FYI Edelweiss tours won't restrict you to riding with a select group or pace. You can even travel alone . . . if that's your thing. Even when travelling with others along with a guide, you will be free to stretch out. Yo won't be bunched like a bunch of Shriners on parade. Tours have their place. It depends on your individual needs.
Honda-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
I'm with Glitch - I can ride for 3 weeks on what a 1 week tour costs.

But then, I spent 9 years in Europe (6 in Italy, 3 in Germany) with the USAF between 1968 & 1982, so I'm not quite a rank beginner.

That being said - the Alps are fully populated by people whose major purpose in life is to provide the traveler with a good experience - tourism is king, and motorcyclists are at the top of that heap in the summer (skiers get the winter months).

The only mistake you could make (IMHO) is not to go.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
I'm with Glitch - ?.....

The only mistake you could make (IMHO) is not to go.
+1
True dat!

Paul
Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
Freshorse OP
Adventurer

Thanks michaelJ and others. Starting to lean that way. The tour prices plus the airfare is putting this out of the budget. I like what you said "only mistake is not going".