Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #346
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Got mine installed today. That was a pain... Since I have had no problems related to the canister, it's still installed.

But I'm looking forward to the rewards! Set it at 7 to start.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #347
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
Got mine installed today. That was a pain... Since I have had no problems related to the canister, it's still installed.

But I'm looking forward to the rewards! Set it at 7 to start.
A pain yes, but on the R1150, the fuel tank has to come off ... an even bigger pain.

In any case I think you'll find it well worth the effort.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #348
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,398
Laugh

Erling and Roger, Thanks here.
Just got mine installed and did a 40 mile run on some curvy blacktop. I am running a Leo Vince pipe, my Power Controller on a -20, and the AF-XIED. Wow what sweet difference - super smooth power.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #349
BOETJE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I've had mine on my F650 GS Twin now for less then 2 tank fills.
The motor is definitely smoother and just feels better . Only tried it on setting 7. Not sure if I need to go to 8 though...
Excellent product. ....
Need a Australasian distributor ?
BOETJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #350
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Just got mine installed and did a 40 mile run on some curvy blacktop. I am running a Leo Vince pipe, my Power Controller on a -20, and the AF-XIED. Wow what sweet difference - super smooth power.
You're welcome, always nice to hear, as you well know. If you're running setting 7, after a few tanks of gas try setting 8 for a while and see what you think.

Although not mandatory, a -20C air temperature shift combined with a 6% lambda shift results in a more even addition of fuel to the entire fuel table, and smaller Mixture Adaptation factors. After a reset of the ECU, the combination gets to final Mixture Adaptation factors faster as well.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #351
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOETJE View Post
I've had mine on my F650 GS Twin now for less then 2 tank fills.
The motor is definitely smoother and just feels better . Only tried it on setting 7. Not sure if I need to go to 8 though...
Excellent product. ....
Need a Australasian distributor ?
This is a Nightrider.com product. Feel free to contact them and see!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #352
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Quote:
It is our pleasure....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #353
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Wink

Quote:
That's identical to my sertup. First thing I noticed yesterday was less vibes in the 4700-5000 rmp range. Definitely running smoother.

Erling and Roger, thanks for all the help with testing and explaining.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #354
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's identical to my sertup. First thing I noticed yesterday was less vibes in the 4700-5000 rmp range. Definitely running smoother.

After a time on setting 7 or 8 you will notice that your lower rpms feel stronger. However, your observation of smoother mid-high rpm running is worth some further comment. For a twin cylinder engine to be smooth under power, each cylinder needs to create equal power. Basically that means having the same amount of air and fuel at the moment of combustion.

We can do a pretty good job of balancing the air using conventional tools but on a bike with only one O2 sensor like the F800 or R1150, the fuel balance is set solely by the injectors. If they are too different, you get rough running. You can send them out to be cleaned and tested, but there really isn't any adjustment.

As you add fuel with an LC-1/2 or AF-XIED, you consume the unburned oxygen. And as you do that the sensitivity to injector imbalance decreases, increasing smoothness. Eventually, at about 13.2:1 (I don't recommend going that rich) you've added enough fuel that all the useable O2 has been burned (called Best Power mixture). At that point, a little more or less fuel doesn't change the power, meaning if both cylinders have the same amount of air, even if the fueling is a little different they will have equal power output.

This is the basis for the improvement in smoothness you feel. You're not at Best Power mixture on setting 7 but still you've moved in that direction and are less sensitive to fuel imbalance.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #355
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Quote:

Yeppers.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #356
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Although not mandatory, a -20C air temperature shift combined with a 6% lambda shift results in a more even addition of fuel to the entire fuel table, and smaller Mixture Adaptation factors.
Roger,

Explain this a little more. I thought temp shifts were adapted out, and that the XIED changes are adopted to the whole fueling range.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #357
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Roger,

Explain this a little more. I thought temp shifts were adapted out, and that the XIED changes are adopted to the whole fueling range.
In order for me to make sense of this I would need to make a detailed map of the fuel table, the fuel calculation process, the lambda correction factors and the Mixture Adaptations. You end up at "basically" the same place with or without the IAT modification.

However the difference between "basically" and "exactly" the same place has to do with how air temperature (and barometric pressure) are used versus how mixture adaptation is used in the fuel pulse calculation.

If your IAT shift is -20C which adds about 6% to the fuel calculation but you leave lambda at 1.00 (stock O2 sensor) the BMSK will compute a -6% correction factor. Your fueling stays lean.

If you leave IAT stock, set AF-XIED to 8 (6% more fuel) the BMSK computes a +6% correction factor. Your fueling is 6% richer.

If you set IAT to -20C and AF-XIED to 8 the BMSK computes a 0% correction factor but ... Your fueling is 6% richer than stock.

So although the second and third case look the same, the BMSK did less work to reach case three. It is a small but useful difference that a purist would appreciate.

I know this explanation won't be crystal clear but the next step would take me several pages. Looking at the three cases you can see that it is the O2 sensor and AF-XIED that govern the result.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #358
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
...a -20C air temperature shift combined with a 6% lambda shift results in a more even addition of fuel to the entire fuel table...
I guess I was driving at this. Is the above saying that the XIED on it's own cannot make complete fuel table enhancements across the whole spectrum?

I'm not trying to call you out, etc. I'm still vetting this product for purchase. I'm after improvements at the small throttle openings directly after idle and back.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #359
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
NCD

Based on what little I know, my opinion is we eventually end up at the same place with or without the -20C offset. Eventually being a relative term, I am one who believes the BMSK is fast with regard to adaptions.

As far as improvements at the small openings directly after idle and back I yield to our good friend Erling on this. He may have some thoughts on that for you.

Be well.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #360
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
I guess I was driving at this. Is the above saying that the XIED on it's own cannot make complete fuel table enhancements across the whole spectrum?

I'm not trying to call you out, etc. I'm still vetting this product for purchase. I'm after improvements at the small throttle openings directly after idle and back.
Don't worry about calling me out. We're all trying to find the best ways to improve our bikes.

The AF-XIED makes improvements to the entire fuel table on its own.

Let's say though, that like me as I test things out, you were constantly resetting the BMSK or Motronic. Saving adaptation time is worthwhile.

Small throttle openings are an especially sensitive area for an alpha/n fuel controller like the ones on our bikes. The AFXIED and LC-1/2 approach is ideally suited for that part of the fuel table. It has a lot of cells and they are all served by closed loop lambda correction factors.

Also, let's say you already own one of HTCA's well made products. Keep it.

I've put a lot of work into reverse engineering what these products do and want to give as transparent an answer as I can.

roger 04 rt screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 06:06 PM