Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #361
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post
NCD

Based on what little I know, my opinion is we eventually end up at the same place with or without the -20C offset. Eventually being a relative term, I am one who believes the BMSK is fast with regard to adaptions.

As far as improvements at the small openings directly after idle and back I yield to our good friend Erling on this. He may have some thoughts on that for you.

Be well.

Terry
It is hard for me to make a back to back comparison to this Terry. Let me start by saying that there is NO off idle hop with the XIED, but neither were there with the DJ PC5/AT. Back as we tested that setup, we turned it off, and rode with the only difference being arrow headers installed, and If I put my money on what really killed the off idle hop, I would say the Cattless headers did it. After I installed the XIED, instead of the PC5/AT combo, there was still not any hopping. I cannot offer any illustrations to proof this theory, but I think that the very restrictive headers, combined with a very lean fuel chart, cutting off the injectors upon throttle closing, and a lean re engagement, were the catalyst in the hopping, but as many have reported that off idle response is much better, I will say that it helps greatly. I am fully convinced that the bike takes about 1000 miles to fully adapt...Not kidding here..... as some values populates quicker than others. I do not wish to step on any toes, and pleas all forgive me for saying this. I don't think the temp. shifters will do anything in the long haul, as they do get adapted out. That being said, they don't hurt either. So if one have them, leave them in place, and perhaps the BMSK will adapt a little faster, but will eventually be adapted back out.
Hope this helps.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:47 AM   #362
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Thanks Erling, you are much more knowledgeable on this than I, I appreciate you helping the guy out.

Ride safely and enjoy that new flying machine.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #363
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post
Thanks Erling, you are much more knowledgeable on this than I, I appreciate you helping the guy out.

Ride safely and enjoy that new flying machine.

Terry
Thanks Terry. I sure am enjoying it. Perhaps one day we will run into each other, as I do frequent Austin, since every time we go, we go about Austin, as the owner and his wife lives there.

Erling
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #364
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 435
Thanks for responding all. I figured Erling's bike had been modded a 'bit' and may make a bad example of comparison for those of us with stock exhausts, etc.

My previous bike was a late model 650 Dakar single, and it was just so easy to control speed in rough terrain - the throttle response at low RPM's was 'soft' and easy to manage. You could easily work the bike through rocky sections while standing on the pegs without feeling like you're on the edge of a burst of acceleration.

For me, the 800GS is just a PITA in this regard. I would gladly pay $200 to change the temperament of the throttle in these conditions - but it sounds like there may more at play here than any plug-in can remedy.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #365
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
NCD,
I still have a beta unit that jscottyk used. You could try it on 8 and see what you got. Also try it very rich on 9 or 10. Very rich is still less rich than many PC or Techlusion installs.i think you would find it does the trick.
RB
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #366
NCD
Dirty Hairy

PM headed your way.....
Old 03-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #367
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,475
I think there are a lot of factors that cause abrupt throttle syndrome on this bike. First for a twin it sure spools up fast. The engine is basically the same as its street bike parent. A heavier flywheel could fix that. Not something 90% of the owners would want.

It runs very lean off idle and a lot of other throttle configurations. You can get an inkling of how lean by looking at the instant mileage feature. You don't get 80mpg running rich.

So you end up with a bike that goes from lean to richer AFR in a heartbeat and it does not take much throttle turning, unless it is under load, to get it there.

I would think that a Power Commander could fix those lean low rpm map values, because it is a down stream add on. Erling care to comment?

The AF-Xied should be able to improve the lean factor by dialing in whatever AFR you want, within its scope. It will be a 6-8% improvement? Not perfect, but better. More than makes up for it at 1,500rpm and above.

Related improvement, include better suspension. If your throttle hand isn't getting beat up, then you are less likely to make those "unintentional throttle corrections"

A G2 throttle tamer, mitigates those unintended throttle twists by reducing how much of it reaches the throttle body.

You could gear it down, the higher the rpm for the same speed, the richer it seems to be.

Except for gearing it down, I have done that and it is so much better, but each mod was incremental, no Eureka moments.

Maybe one, just because I didn't expect it. AF-XiED

itsatdm screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 02:44 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #368
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I think there are a lot of factors that cause abrupt throttle syndrome on this bike. First for a twin it sure spools up fast. The engine is basically the same as its street bike parent. A heavier flywheel could fix that. Not something 90% of the owners would want.

It runs very lean off idle and a lot of other throttle configurations. You can get an inkling of how lean by looking at the instant mileage feature. You don't get 80mpg running rich.

So you end up with a bike that goes from lean to richer AFR in a heartbeat and it does not take much throttle turning, unless it is under load, to get it there.

I would think that a Power Commander could fix those lean low rpm map values, because it is a down stream add on. Erling care to comment?

The AF-Xied should be able to improve the lean factor by dialing in whatever AFR you want, within its scope. It will be a 6-8% improvement? Not perfect, but better. More than makes up for it at 1,500rpm and above.

Band aids include better suspension. If your throttle hand isn't getting beat up, then you are less likely to make those "unintentional throttle corrections"

A G2 throttle tamer, mitigates those unintended throttle twists by reducing how much of it reaches the throttle body.

You could gear it down, the higher the rpm for the same speed, the richer it seems to be.

Except for gearing it down, I have done that and it is so much better, but each mod was incremental, no Eureka moments.

Maybe one, just because I didn't expect it. AF-XiED
It did. As did the XIED, but I think perhaps for the most unbiased report, we should listen to riders who have installed the XIED on stock bikes. Did they feel the off idle hop went away....?????
Mine is sure gone, but how much is because of the XIED, and how much of the headers, is hard for me to judge.

Erling
Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #369
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Here's what we'll do. As soon as the weather in NCD's neck of the glacier is better we'll have him run just the beta AFXIED and see what he says. RB

Btw. My 1150 gets very mellow as I approach 13.2:1. Richer than I like to run but laid back like a CA surfer ...
Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #370
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Yessir. I will do some back to back stuff with and without the BoosterPlug. And maybe, just maybe, I'll give it back
Old 03-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #371
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Yessir. I will do some back to back stuff with and without the BoosterPlug. And maybe, just maybe, I'll give it back
If you do not like it, I have a complete PC5/AT for sale...... But as I stated earlier, the PC5/AT made a bit more power, but I think the XIED is a better setup with the BMSK, thus the DJ sitting on the shelf.

Erling
Old 03-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #372
djborden
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
(cross post from his original thread)

Roger was kind enough to let me beta test the AF-XIED on my 2013 F800GS.

The installation was quite easy and the device and wiring harness appears to be of high quality. Total install time was about 15 minutes and I set the unit to setting 8 which is a bit higher than most start with. The weather in our area was starting to change, and I wanted to jump right in and see what it would do while I could still ride.

After putting about half a tank through the bike, I started noticing a fairly significant change in the snatchy throttle of the off idle which was really welcome, but what I didn’t expect, was the power in both mid to upper RPM range was much more ‘angry’ and the bike sounded different as well. The bike was just more fun to ride…

Due to weather and work obligations I’ve been off the bike and offline more that I would like. Our weather has been beautiful lately and I’ve put about 3 tanks through the bike since installing the device and I like what it has done the bikes manners. A couple weeks ago, I was out riding on some fire trails with friends and found that I could ride one handed and slowly navigate bumps, rocks, ruts etc without trouble. I do have a Scott steering damper(Incredible!!), but I don’t think I would have been able to do that with the way the bike lurches when coming off idle when stock… that really impressed me.

Overall, I think the bike is more enjoyable to ride and the added bonus of some serious grunt was an unexpected plus! The bike is more tractable at low speed but has more power up top. The two together make a big difference. Most importantly, Roger’s support was prompt and first rate. He’s a really asset to this community.

David
djborden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #373
aclundwall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I have the AF-XIED on a 2013 F800GS, stock except for an Akrapovich silencer.

I started on setting 7. Bike ran good, smooth throttle response, slightly improved performance. I recently tried setting 8. Very noticeable difference in power. There's one place, as I return to home, that I pin the throttle routinely. Setting 8 lifts the wheel, where it didn't before. Ever. Feels stronger from the lower midrange up. I haven't seen what it does to the mileage yet, but my mileage has never been great anyway.

I had been planning on installing my Twalcom headers before going to setting 8, but those things turned out to be a big pile of stainless crap! So I am running the stock headpipes for now, and I hope the extra richness doesn't foul the cat...
aclundwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #374
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclundwall View Post

I started on setting 7. Bike ran good, smooth throttle response, slightly improved performance. I recently tried setting 8. Very noticeable difference in power. There's one place, as I return to home, that I pin the throttle routinely. Setting 8 lifts the wheel, where it didn't before. Ever. Feels stronger from the lower midrange up. I haven't seen what it does to the mileage yet, but my mileage has never been great anyway.

I had been planning on installing my Twalcom headers before going to setting 8, but those things turned out to be a big pile of stainless crap! So I am running the stock headpipes for now, and I hope the extra richness doesn't foul the cat...

At setting 8, your cat should have some residual function. It will be charged with oxygen when on setting 8, so your cat should have some residual function. It will be charged with oxygen each time you decelerate with the throttle closed which will give it some ability to oxidize hydrocarbons.

The other data points are Techlusion and Powercommander which run much richer maps/settings than setting 8. The manufacturers of cats don't seem to have much to say about our small additions of fuel. Steve at Nightrider seems to believe that up to setting 7 (4% more fuel) that you're within the tolerance range of cats (+/-5%).

I guess we'll see.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #375
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclundwall View Post

Here are some thoughts on this subject from Steve at Nightrider:
http://tuneyourharley.com/biketech/c...tic-converters

"BMW's and twin cylinder engines in general have substantial 'exhaust
reversion', especially when muffler upgrades are made, so they
essentially have similar dynamics. The converter is in a constant
'regen' cycle because of the reversion allowing large amounts of free
oxygen to get to the converter matrix."