User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 197
The Great California U-Turn

Earlier this year my girlfriend started back to school to advance her degree in nursing to a BSN. As time off these days is getting more difficult to come by with the work and school schedule, we knew we needed to do something of substance to fully capitalize on having a week off for spring break this year. We wound up deciding to do a week long tour of California as follows: Santa Rosa, hwy 1 south, Big Sur, Big Bear, Joshua Tree, Mojave Desert, a few ghost towns, Sequoia nat park, the gold country and back again..

Day 1-3
With questionable weather on the horizon we roll out of Sacramento to go visit family in Santa Rosa for a couple days before really starting the trip to the South.

The next 3 days consisted of a family medical emergency, a trip to the ER, rain, helping another family member propose to his girlfriend and probably the best ahi tar tar tacos I've ever had..

The Proposal..

She said yes btw, Congrats to engaged!

As a celebration we headed over to Russian River Brewing Co and had a few too many Plineys.

Day 4
The morning started off another good sized storm moving in which gave us little options for dry travel. Not wanting to delay the trip we layered up and took our medicine.. South on highway 1 to see how far we can get. I apologize ahead of time as we didn't take very pictures as photography isn't very attractive activity when you're soaked to the core and can barely get your gloves on and off.

Coffee warm up in Sausalito

The next few hours consisted of dumping rain and moderate winds. Our rain gear somewhat worked so we decided to get a place in Carmel by the Sea for the night. Great town..

the Bnb we found.

Didn't see Eastwood

We walked around town for a bit, found some great beef chow mein and passed out after a long day of being damp and cold.

UP NEXT: Big Sur to Big Bear.. More rain and better pictures.
"I never drive faster then I can see and besides that it's all in the reflexes." -JB
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,286

Hey T,

R.N. wife Julie and I sat with you in the Lander, WY bar last summer.

Glad to see you're posting again, you have some great material!

Count me in on this one.

Hope the R.N. world is going well for you and the g.f.!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 174
I'm in

And waiting for more.

Regards,
Rey & Vann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Some familiar sights there. Great shots! Enjoy.
bhb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Sam!
Great to hear from you! The nursing thing is going well, just took a promotion. I start the new position on May 25th so I leave this Sunday for 3 weeks in Baja, going with one other rider. Hope all is well w you and Julie!
-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post

Hey T,

R.N. wife Julie and I sat with you in the Lander, WY bar last summer.

Glad to see you're posting again, you have some great material!

Count me in on this one.

Hope the R.N. world is going well for you and the g.f.!
"I never drive faster then I can see and besides that it's all in the reflexes." -JB
Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
?

sorry .... it rains in California ???

this is very sad to hear .... heading down in 2 months time
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
Tamalerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Tell me more about where to find these tacos!! Also subscribing. I am looking for some local loops to take the girl camping on this summer leaving from the bay area. (After my prudhoe bay trip this summer that is!).
Tamalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Delicious

Those tacos are literally worth the drive to Santa Rosa. The place is Stark's steakhouse, they have those sweet babies a buck .75 each during happy hour. There's also Russian River brewing Co in town as well, not a far drive from the Bay Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamalerider View Post
Tell me more about where to find these tacos!! Also subscribing. I am looking for some local loops to take the girl camping on this summer leaving from the bay area. (After my prudhoe bay trip this summer that is!).
Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Days 4-5

Days 4-5:
We woke up early in our little bnb to find our gear relatively dry after draping everything over the heater that we left running all night with the windows open.. We were relieved to look outside to see it had just started raining again. If there's one thing I enjoy, it's riding 2up on hwy 1 in the rain with gusty winds, so off we went. I apologize again as we were too wet to mess with very many taking pictures of hwy 1 as we drove down to Cambria. By that I mean we really didn't take any.

Our Big Sur experience

Makin sweet love

By the time we got to Cambria we had enough of getting hosed to we headed to Bakersfield, which was lovely this time of year, and on towards Joshua Tree.

gummer

We only made it to Lucerne Valley just outside of Big Bear before the light ran out. It was at least dry but the temperature was dropping quick and the desert winds were brutal. We decided to try to hold up in Lucerne Valley so we asked the gas station attendant where a good place to stay was. The scraggly looking lady with tell-tale meth-mouth looked at us and said "I wouldn't stay here." Good enough, over the hill to Big Bear it is. We headed up Noth Shore Dr in the windy pitch black only to get snowed on as we made it over the pass. The first hotel we came to had a bear in a robin hood outfit so that was good enough for us. In the morning we met up with my best friend's dad who just so happens to live in town and we were on our way to a much anticipated visit to Joshua Tree.

Spider his-self.

Before departing Big Bear, Spider told us of forest service trail 2N02 out of Baldwin lake that would take us over the mountain on a dirt trail and drop us on Pioneer Town road. Done.

So, Pioneertown was built in the 1940's by the movie industry for the industry, 100 years newer then as it appeared. Spider said to check out the town and grab a beer at Pappy and Harriets.

Ran into these two guys on their bikes out of Big Bear, they knew Spider as well. Of course.

Had a little too much fun in the deep sand riding 2up and ate it.

fixed.

The rest of the day was rather anticlimactic. Rode into Joshua Tree around 4pm to find that every camp site was sold out in the entire park. One guy in a full sized van offered to let us camp next to his rape-machine but we declined. Sooo we finally said F it and camped at..

Still beats staying at a motel in 29 palms.

All in all, a pretty stellar day.

UP NEXT: Randsburg, Red Rock Canyon, Kern county, rib eye's and a brewery.