Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #16
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
J Day is a series in the northeast that combines elements of endurocross with hare scrambles.
that sounds like a blast.
LittleRedToyota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
The comments about Trail riding leading towards trying more technical and difficult terrain for some of you is our experience also. Some of my most enjoyable motorcycling memories are of those days where everyone had to pitch in together to get the bikes through. One day we got stuck down in a thick wooded ravine area. We went approx. 12 miles in 6 hours. It was miserable and fun!

Reading through this thread makes me stoked to go riding!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
It was miserable and fun!
funny how that works, isn't it?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
After 15 years of offroad riding, and 7 years of offroad racing, I will say I enjoy offroad riding while I'm there, and racing AFTER I've finished.
Yep, same here. We were always laughing and having a good time trail riding. Every time after a hare scramble I would say "never again"! Sometimes after a race I would throw up.......One other thing, I don't remember eating anything during a race even if it was a hundred mile enduro or a three hour hare scramble. Water? We don't need no stinking water! Camelbacks weren't even invented, it was just the name of a hill near Phoenix
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Yep, same here. We were always laughing and having a good time trail riding. Every time after a hare scramble I would say "never again"! Sometimes after a race I would throw up.......One other thing, I don't remember eating anything during a race even if it was a hundred mile enduro or a three hour hare scramble. Water? We don't need no stinking water! Camelbacks weren't even invented, it was just the name of a hill near Phoenix
Ha, ha! I remember our feeble attempts to make a Camelbak before they were on the market. A plastic container with a screw on lid... punch a hole in the top and run aquarium tubing down into it. Zip tie it to the back of your chest protector and wa-la! The only problem was you had to keep the tube in your mouth at all times clinching it with your teeth. Downhills were murder though... had water coming out my nose many times!

Greg
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
J Day is a series in the northeast that combines elements of endurocross with hare scrambles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
that sounds like a blast.
I think he meant motocross not endurocross..
ct-ktm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
Back in the day when I started and bikes had two rear shocks....I thought I was a hot shot trail rider cause I could smoke all my buddies. Then I rode a hare scramble and got smoked. Then I rode a MX and got smoked again.
Nothing like a quick dose of reality..
You think you can ride ok then you have 14 year olds smoking you.
ct-ktm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
oh. we have some of those around here. they call them "grand prix" races. half hare scramble (pretty wide open hare scrambles tracks) and half MX track.

i'm not a big jump guy, so they aren't my favorite type of race, but some guys love them.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #24
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,476
When you are as slow as I am in the dirt, going slow and enjoying the scenery is the only way to go.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #25
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,980
apples and oranges really. You live more in 5 minutes of racing than an entire month of day to day life....
Trail riding is fun but nothing compares to racing. Very rarely do you ever get the chance to understand what you're capable of as a rider before you get onto a closed and well marked race course and open up the taps. If you ever try riding race pace pretty much anywhere, you are on the clock for a long hospital visit.... or worse.
IMHO you'll never know how good of a rider you'll ever be until you race. I have been transformed as a rider through racing and highly recommend it to anyone!!

plus there is just something special about having a race bike - you have much more respect for it, put more time and money into it. It sits on a much higher pedestal. I LOVE my 525

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 01:12 PM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
After 15 years of offroad riding, and 7 years of offroad racing, I will say I enjoy offroad riding while I'm there, and racing AFTER I've finished.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 562
Never raced and probably never will.

Trail riding for me is about exploring and only slightly pushing my limits. I'm not willing to pay the hospital bills for higher levels of learning.

I think I saw Hellsickle at breakfast and again at dinner on the group rides in Moab (long time ago). I'm fine with that. The fellow who tried to keep up with him wound up in the hospital with a broken shoulder.
Gripsteruser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
I was excited about that format then i watched some videos which would confirm your suspicion then i was sad.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #29
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
Trail riding for me is about exploring and only slightly pushing my limits. I'm not willing to pay the hospital bills for higher levels of learning..
remember though that races happen on closed courses that are marked for danger which is something that trail riding never affords you. also you only have to push yourself as far as you're comfortable..... in a lot of ways, racing is safer
Quote:
Old 11-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #30
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
remember though that races happen on closed courses that are marked for danger which is something that trail riding never affords you. also you only have to push yourself as far as you're comfortable..... in a lot of ways, racing is safer

"If you're not crashing, your not trying." - isn't that racing?

Depends on how you trail ride.

Or more generally - how you ride. Especially in groups.

I find riding in a group to be more dangerous because someone is often riding above their skill level to keep up. I've done it and only later really recognized the danger I put myself in.

If I entered a race and rode like I do trail rides they'd be taking down the course markers and finish line and stuff before I was through!

I don't think the OP's question really makes sense. There's racing, there's trail riding really fast, and then there's trail riding for the scenery.
Three different things.
Gripsteruser is online now   Reply With Quote