Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #31
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
"If you're not crashing, your not trying." - isn't that racing?.
tons of guys go out there every weekend to have a bash and compete but not racing to win. Im the same way - Im never going to win anything out there but its fun to go out and be competitive and learn from better riders.
You would be blown away at how much you can learn in such a short amount of time
Plus there are lots of different kinds of races like Enduros that are more time trials. The fast guys dont win those, the guys that can stay on time win those

Plus there is going to be a day, someday when Im not going to be able to ride anymore. I hope that day is a very very long way off but when it comes, ill be able to look back and think of the races I was in and know that I gave it a pretty good shake.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #32
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
remember though that races happen on closed courses that are marked for danger which is something that trail riding never affords you. also you only have to push yourself as far as you're comfortable..... in a lot of ways, racing is safer
Enduros are not closed course.

Marked for danger.??..if you see ONE X [which means danger] on as 80 mile enduro that would be a good average..they dont exactly have hail bails in every corner..
I don't think I would say safer, most people are going to push harder in a competition then out with the buds. But you defintly have those guys that want to prove they can go fast on a trail ride also.
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #33
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was excited about that format then i watched some videos which would confirm your suspicion then i was sad.
A little bit of a drive for you..
Old 11-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #34
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 3,983
I know racing made me a much faster/better trail rider and trail riding made me a better street rider and motorcycling in general made me a much more confident person.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #35
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
Enduros are not closed course.

Marked for danger.??..if you see ONE X [which means danger] on as 80 mile enduro that would be a good average..they dont exactly have hail bails in every corner.
well, to be fair, SOME parts to enduros are closed, some are not and the parts that are open usually you are only supposed to be averaging 15, 20 mph at most

the point being you dont HAVE to ride 10/10ths all the time no matter what. Im just saying it safer to go out and ride on a course.... and I dont know what races you have seen in the past but out here X's and down arrows are VERY common, I have marked a few courses in my day and we mark the holy crap out of a course
Quote:
Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #36
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,705
Quote:
I think he meant motocross not endurocross..
Well, they have mx sections, but also obstacle sections. It is the latter I equated with endurocross. In any event, it is a low pressure form of motorcycle racing that is probably a little more technical than HS. It seems to have become quite popular in the last couple years.

In a way it is something like the GP racing they have out west, but to me those were more like a HS. At least they were back in the day.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #37
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
well, to be fair, SOME parts to enduros are closed, some are not and the parts that are open usually you are only supposed to be averaging 15, 20 mph at most

the point being you dont HAVE to ride 10/10ths all the time no matter what. Im just saying it safer to go out and ride on a course.... and I dont know what races you have seen in the past but out here X's and down arrows are VERY common, I have marked a few courses in my day and we mark the holy crap out of a course
The speed around here and at the National level is 24 MPH..

As far as as speed of course you do not have to go 100% but don't you agree that would be depending on the person.. I know guys that race just to see if they can finish an Enduro. othere are top A racers that go as fast as they can the whole day..thats what racing is all about for some.!!

As far as seeing races yeah I have seen a course or a two..
and marking how many arrows can folks put in a 80 mile enduro.?
at a national the markings are much better but local clubs can only do so much.

I watched a guy break his femur at the start of a Harescamble years ago he went all of 75 feet...I remeber his bike with no one on it was in first place for about 15 feet..that thing tumbled atleast five times before it went down..I also remember the racers girlfriend[or wife] went running over to him ane she passed out looking at his leg..

Of course you will get guys that get hurt trail riding also but if you are out there to Race I would doubt to many would agree that a race is Safer..
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #38
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Of course you will get guys that get hurt trail riding also but if you are out there to Race I would doubt to many would agree that a race is Safer..
how many trial rides have you been on where there was an ambulance on hand?

at least at races they are prepared for people to crash. Im always amazed at how badly people get hurt out "riding for fun"
Quote:
Old 11-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #39
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,179
Does anyone ride trails or even race offroad where you don't try to push your limits of speed and just try to ride smooth, maintain good "flow" and try to clear technical obstacles without going down?
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #40
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Does anyone ride trails or even race offroad where you don't try to push your limits of speed and just try to ride smooth, maintain good "flow" and try to clear technical obstacles without going down?
i try to ride like that all the time...trails or races. some days, though, i just can never get into that zone.

i've noticed that when i ride like that in races, i actually end up being faster than when i "try to go fast".

usually, when i feel like i'm going fast, i'm not going fast...and i get tired. when i feel smooth and like i'm not really going that fast, i'm actually going fast (er, well, fast for me)...and i don't get tired.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #41
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post

Getting to that state is a great place to be no matter what you're doing.
Riding, shooting, running, hiking, flying.......
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote