User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Pissed KTM Replacement Key - BEING RIPPED OFF

So I lost my last black key (with transponder chip) for my 2009 990 Adv and am forced to use my master orange key until I get a new one.

My complaint is. I cant find ANY shops in Australia that will sell me the key for less than $199 when nearly ALL shop overseas (USA, UK etc) has the keys for approx. $80. I don't mind paying a small premium to support my local shops but not 150% extra!!!

So my question is, I have now tried to order the key from 4 different shops overseas and EVER SO CONVENIENTLY all the shops replied saying they are out of stock or cannot ship to Australia. I DON'T BELIEVE YOU. I say it's KTM controlling the market and not allowing these shops to sell me the key so they can FORCE me into being ripped off locally...
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish View Post
So I lost my last black key (with transponder chip) for my 2009 990 Adv and am forced to use my master orange key until I get a new one.

My complaint is. I cant find ANY shops in Australia that will sell me the key for less than $199 when nearly ALL shop overseas (USA, UK etc) has the keys for approx. $80. I don't mind paying a small premium to support my local shops but not 150% extra!!!

So my question is, I have now tried to order the key from 4 different shops overseas and EVER SO CONVENIENTLY all the shops replied saying they are out of stock or cannot ship to Australia. I DON'T BELIEVE YOU. I say it's KTM controlling the market and not allowing these shops to sell me the key so they can FORCE me into being ripped off locally...
Dealers are not allowed to ship KTM factory parts out of the country, at least that's how it works in the US. If they find you are shipping out of country they will cut off your parts account.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Dealers are not allowed to ship KTM factory parts out of the country, at least that's how it works in the US. If they find you are shipping out of country they will cut off your parts account.
Its price fixing in my book. Time to get a mate in USA to buy one and ship it to me... If the Australian price was only 20% dearer, I'd be fine with it but not at 150% dearer.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Welcome to the 'Australia' tax where the price charged is related more to what the market can bear as opposed to being linked to actual cost of manufacturer and distribution. And you my friend are deemed to be in an affluent market, a market which can be squeezed that much more. However, the peasants can rise up! The internet is already your friend (you can price compare and you have learned that things are cheaper overseas) and freight forwarders are about to become your new best friend. Until we collectively start squeezing KTM Australia's testicles by buying offshore, we will continue to be ripped off.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
soggysandwich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish View Post

i will help you,,,,
you find it online here in the usa,,,,pay for it and have it shipped to my address here in the usa.
when i get it, i will re-package it , find out the shipping cost to YOU,, then you can pay the shipping costs through my PAYPAL account,, then the new key will be on it's way to you.

fair enough ?
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,325
i helped several guys from Australia and New Zealand ship products. just gotta pay for the part, either send me the money and i pay, or you pay and have it sent to me, then i send it on when i receive it. never been a problem.

good luck,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 885
Lets see......

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #8
AlxT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I am getting serious crap from 2 different dealers about the black key too.
I first contacted one and told me that I need to change the whole immobilizer unit to get the new key working (thus 400 euros), I never went back there of course (do they really believe we are stupid and can't read an owners manual?).
Then I went to another dealer and we contacted the main supplier here in Greece that told us (I was actually there listening to the conversation) it's available and goes for something like 40 euros. We ordered it and came straight from mattighofen in 7 working days precut and ready to be programmed on the bike with the orange key sequence thing. BUT for some unknown yet reason the price went up to 100 euros... Still haven't decided whether I am going to pay for it or not. Thing is that the second dealer has been OK with our transactions for the last 6 years and I can't just believe that he is trying to make a fool out of me.
What the hell is going on with Ktm and their keys (or dealers)? I wanted to mail Ktm about the above but can't find any contact mail that goes straight to Austria, and I have a feeling that if I mail the Greek supplier it will end up straight in the junk folder.

Tapatalk @ SGS IV
AlxT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
I happen to know these guys will be happy to ship to international customers. Shoot them an email.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Welcome to the 'Australia' tax where the price charged is related more to what the market can bear as opposed to being linked to actual cost of manufacturer and distribution. And you my friend are deemed to be in an affluent market, a market which can be squeezed that much more. However, the peasants can rise up! The internet is already your friend (you can price compare and you have learned that things are cheaper overseas) and freight forwarders are about to become your new best friend. Until we collectively start squeezing KTM Australia's testicles by buying offshore, we will continue to be ripped off.
The price of everything everywhere is based on what the market will bear. Its been that way since day one. It only gets flawed when someone like KTM or a government steps in to manipulate markets.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
WVdyhrd
mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer: 2,544
C'est la vie, you just want to get your bike running right?

In the states one of those items will run around $80 and will take about a week to get from KTM.

KTM will require the following

- The full vin, registered to the given customers name with KTM

- The key code off the key card that came with your bike

- A copy front and back of a valid Government issue ID

It may be an issue getting it from a US dealer, not sure. If we submit the key request for a NZ registered bikes, it could throw red flags; and get the dealer in trouble as Jtucker explained above. But may be worth a shot.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." -Bill
Shakes
WVdyhrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
Hard to believe KTMs profit margins rise and fall on the replacement cost of a key; spend the coin and get it over with. In time and effort wasted you are already another $50 in the hole.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
econwatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
KTM LC8 Key Blank 2008+ Part Number?

New to me used 2012 KTM 990 Adv came with one black ignition key and the orange master key. Anyone have the part number for ordering a black key blank (w/ chip) replacement?

Contacted dealer in NJ and we couldn't find just the key blank p/n. Dealer plans on contacting the mother ship next week with my VIN, Code, etc. but would like to confirm independently as this is their first ever key blank request.

The fiche showed p/n's for the following below but no key blank.
27. immob + masterkey (62611021000) $451 USD
19. insert ignition lock (60111066050) $101 USD
18. ignition lock (60111066000) $354 USD.

econwatch screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 02:43 AM
econwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

There is a big difference between the orange 'master' key and a black 'slave' key.

the orange key is fixed programming to the ECU. You then use the orange key to train the ECU for any slave 'black' keys you might have....or something like that.

Make sure you get the right key.... I'm still using my orange master key because KTM own my arse and buying overseas is becoming difficult.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I'm sure you can just go to MrMint or any key cutting place, get one cut with a transponder then go home and program it with your orange key. You dont even need a genuine key? Most of the key cutting places will copy an electronic key, transponder and all.
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote