User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
AlxT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
But don't apply every time...

Prior to ordering my key i went with both the orange and black key to 2 key cutting places and they both couldn't clone the black keys electronic unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
I'm sure you can just go to MrMint or any key cutting place, get one cut with a transponder then go home and program it with your orange key. You dont even need a genuine key? Most of the key cutting places will copy an electronic key, transponder and all.
AlxT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
econwatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Update on sourcing a spare encoded black key in the USA --

Dealer in New Jersey reported that KTM additionally requires a copy of registration, drivers license, and KTM key code card.

Price for black key blank ~$90 USD.

Appears that KTM requires keys sold to match the owner of the bike. This is for a 2012 KTM 990 Adv in the US.
econwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
Womble_CH
dribbling baboon

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish View Post
Its price fixing in my book. Time to get a mate in USA to buy one and ship it to me... If the Australian price was only 20% dearer, I'd be fine with it but not at 150% dearer.
Same with the other "Orange MoCo". Earlier you could order H-D parts in the US, then from Nov. 2011 H-D imposed an embargo on exports. No dealer would ship outside the US territories. I missed the deadline by 4 days and no way that Chicago Harley would ship, they simply cancelled my order (but not my account ) Wasn't it the US that taught us about "globalization" and "international trade"

I read in my 1190 @ manual that you should absolutely not use the orange key for anything else than reprogramming a new black key.
Womble_CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by econwatch View Post
New to me used 2012 KTM 990 Adv came with one black ignition key and the orange master key. Anyone have the part number for ordering a black key blank (w/ chip) replacement?
Guys,
a few minutes on an excellent KTM spares source in the UK yielded the parts book and this:

Looks like you need item 19, part number: 62611067000, key with transponder.

Here's the source, which lists the key as available at 80GBP: http://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/?i...no=62611067000

Shipping cost to you is a bit silly, but if you want help, shout.

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
econwatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
KTM LC8 Key Blank 2008+ Part Number found!

Paul,
Fantastic, great find in an older manual thank you. Will confirm w/ NJ dealer he has same part number. Think I'll pursue with them for now as the price is relatively ok and builds the relationship/ history.
Marcus

Quick check through the old manuals on www.ktm950.info shows the following interesting results:
2009 - p29 #19* 62611067000 KEY WITH TRANSPONDER (keys joined in diagram)
2010 - p30 #19 62611067000 KEY WITH TRANSPONDER (keys separated in diagram... did they have a spat?)
2011 - p30 keys in diagram but no p/n. listing jumps from 18 to 20.
2012 - no manual in H.O.W. & KTM USA website Service section (manuals) doesn't work in Chrome or IE.
econwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
OK, so far the story is :-

- KTM USA/UK etc will not sell a key unless you produce the VIN/registration etc and if its an Australian VIN, they will not sell it.
- KTM Australia know this so they charge ridiculous amounts for a key because they know you can't get it overseas.

I'm still not giving up. Its now a personal challenge to get a black key for my bike working without being ripped off. I don't care if it costs me $500 in my time to find it. I WILL find something and let everyone know. I will research transponder technology, other car/bike manufacturers keys, aftermarket key manufacturers, locksmiths etc and I bet somewhere out there is a key for a totally different machine that will work in KTM transponder locks and it will be MUCH cheaper and KTM will never sell another key to anyone on ADVRIDER. and they will be forced to lower their price.

Fingers crossed....
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Back when BMW had major problems with the antenna rings being able to sense the chip, we would modify the wiring harness to move the antenna ring and RFID chip to sense under the seat of the bike. That way we would use a standard key blank cut at any locksmith for day to day operation of the lock in its normal location.

I don't know if you should use the Orange key for this purpose or not.

Update: Just saw this regarding the 1190.. If the reflash of the chip is the same on a 990, do NOT use the orange key for anything except flashing a new black key..

spafxer screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 08:44 AM
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #23
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Cant one of our fine friends in the US buy one for you using their ID ?
I cant imagine a KTM dirt bike dealer worrying about coding it for you, they probably dont even know how... Give us your money, a relevant VIN number and you're good to go!

Does anyone know if a key from one bike can be recoded to use on another? I wouldnt be surprised if that is possible.

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #24
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaFish View Post
OK, so far the story is :-

- KTM USA/UK etc will not sell a key unless you produce the VIN/registration etc and if its an Australian VIN, they will not sell it.
Gazza, are you absolutely sure you cannot buy from the link I posted above? I have no affiliation with them, but I have bought a few bit and pieces from them in the past and they are exceedingly helpful. I'll be astonished if they won't sell you what you want. The only downside is they want a stupid amount for shipping to AUS. That's easy to fix though, as I'd be happy to buy the part for you and forward it on providing you cover the costs.

Let me know and I'll find out how much the shipping will cost.

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #25
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911 View Post
Cant one of our fine friends in the US buy one for you using their ID ?
I cant imagine a KTM dirt bike dealer worrying about coding it for you, they probably dont even know how... Give us your money, a relevant VIN number and you're good to go!

Does anyone know if a key from one bike can be recoded to use on another? I wouldnt be surprised if that is possible.
You only program your computer to recognise the key, so im guessing you can program any key and then that key can be used in every bike that has been taught to recognise it. So a bit scare you test someone elses key, because how do you unprogram it?

I still think mr mint could help.
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 774
Does this affect the 2006 and older models?

Does this affect the 2006 and older models?

Could you not remove the immobilizer?

I once lost my key on my 530 while on a ride. Just before they started to pull the igniton wires, I found it though. I would not want to deal with this issue on a multiday ride.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

OK, I have done some research and ordered some parts. All going well i will have a working transponder key for under $15. Stay tuned…
Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #28
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

OK, time for an update.

My first attempt was to purchase a non-transponder blank key from fleabay for about $5 and then also purchase a 125khz keychain transponder off fleabay for $3 delievered :) Theory was that the I believed transponders worked to about 5-10 cm away from the lock so i guessed that as long as the transponder was on the same keyring, it would read it. I got the key cut locally from my orange key and it turns fine in the lock. Well obviously the actual number on the tansponder is important as i could not program the key.

First attempt = fail.

Not willing to give up, i researched a LOT and found a company that sells aftermarket KTM keys with built in transponders. So for about $30 (from memory) i purchased a blank key. Once again got it cut locally, and once again it turns in the lock fine but i can;t seem to get the bike to recognise the traonsponder. So, im now thinking that the tranponder in the key needs o have a preset number or code in it for the bike to recognise it so i'm now waiting on a USB RFID rearer/writer to arrive so i can scan the key and hopefully try work out what the code should be…

Not giving up yet…..
Old 01-03-2014, 03:19 AM   #29
Dearnla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
KTM (and other manufacturers for that matter) charge a fortune to deter bike thieves. If your bike got nicked without the keys and someone could get a replacement cut for a tenner, there'd be a lot more bike thefts and ringing going on.

Unfortunately we are the ones that suffer.....

I broke a key for my old 990SM but retained the stub with transponder. I got a replacement key cut, cut away the plastic then riveted it to the old stub. Voila! One successful bodge later..... I also had a spare (non transponder) key on the ring to do fuel tank and seat, so that I didn't break my key again.....
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 AM   #30
Bowber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I don't think there is a problem with copying your own keys, you would need the master key to do it anyway so if the bike is stolen and they have the master key it's too late anyway.
I know Fords can program a new key into their vehicles BUT they have to have a current key present, if you lose all your keys then your fcuked as they can't do anything. Had my transit done last year as I only had one key, the key was £5, electronic bit was £70 and then programming, total £120!

Someone on here replaced their ECU with an earlier one without the immobiliser and they were messing with maps to find one they were happy with, can't remember who it was though.

Steve
Bowber is offline   Reply With Quote