Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #31
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Electronic keys are the biggest dealer scam going right now and not just with KTM or bikes. I bought a new to me 2007 Toyota pickup this summer and the guy selling it got an extra key cut by his local dealer who he does a lot of business with... but because I wanted the truck right away he didn't get it programmed. But he said his guy would charge us $80 so my local dealer should do it for around the same....well, my local "Stealer" wanted over $200....just to program the bloody thing! Theft prevention my Ass.
I bought my 2011 990 used and it only came with one black key so I asked the dealer, who is authorised KTM, about getting both a black and orange key and I was told I'd have to send all my registration and ownership info into KTM proper and it would cost....not cool. Why these manufactures feel the need to slam loyal customers I'll never understand....greed I guess.

Anyways...I feel your "price-fixin'" pain Gazz....Canada is as bad as Oz it seems where we easily pay 5k extra for the same exact bike in the US among many, many other items.
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #32
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
I don'y mind paying the right amount for what i think things are worth. Im actually surprised sometimes at local KTM prices as they are 'sometimes' cheaper than i expect. My issue is that i feel KTM are price fixing this item and on principal i will do everything in my power not to pay. It might even cost me more than KTM are charging in the end but hopefully I will work out a solution that other KTM owners can follow and force KTM to re-think their price on the keys. It simply can not cost $200 for a programmed black key.

Wish me luck ;)

If I can post here the details of a alterntive key provider and a process for programming it (based on you still having the orange key of course), i'd be happy.
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #33
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037

Dealt with 3 broken keys myself, I feel your pain.
I have not tried this but was told that flashing your computer to 2008 spec,(last year of standard key) you can delete the chipped key and use standard keys. Has anyone heard of this. I am about to try it as I now have 2 bike payments worth of keys
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #34
GazzaFish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Im about to purchase a rfid reader/writer but before I do, id like to confirm if ktm keys use 125hz. There are several different frequencies and each read/writer only does one frequency????
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #35
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
Have not lost any keys yet but still like the do it yourself mentality and hope you can work things out.

Just a warning, this is taken from a 2011 manual:

Keep the orange programming key in a safe place: it must only be used for learning and programming functions.

What impace it can have to use the orange key all the time I dont know.

But if there is some kind of flash drive similar to a memory card and it reprograms it every time you can actually wear it out, a friend had a bright idea to use memory card as a hard drive on a computer and run windows on it and that was toast after a few weeks ...he toasted a few before realising that they actually wear out.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #36
mastera210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
How about this idea? if you have two black keys go to locksmith and get some non chip keys made then take one of the chip keys and tie it up under dash near the ing lock then it will read that one and use the non chip key!
mastera210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #37
mastera210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Or even if you had only one org chip key
mastera210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #38
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Dealers are not allowed to ship KTM factory parts out of the country, at least that's how it works in the US. If they find you are shipping out of country they will cut off your parts account.
I contacted the web site under your signature and they told me that the solution to have two black keys instead only one... will cost either

Solution 1. $650 USD
(P# 60111066044 replaces all locks and keys (including immobilizer) on the bike

Solution 2. $440 USD
(purchase the inmobilizer and red key) I did not uderstood this last one, since I already have a red(orange) key.

There has to be some misunderstanding..!!?? I asked for only ONE key!!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #39
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
[QUOTE=GazzaFish;22854643]OK, so far the story is :-

- KTM USA/UK etc will not sell a key unless you produce the VIN/registration etc and if its an Australian VIN, they will not sell it.
- KTM Australia know this so they charge ridiculous amounts for a key because they know you can't get it overseas.

I'm still not giving up. Its now a personal challenge to get a black key for my bike working without being ripped off. I don't care if it costs me $500 in my time to find it. I WILL find something and let everyone know. I will research transponder technology, other car/bike manufacturers keys, aftermarket key manufacturers, locksmiths etc and I bet somewhere out there is a key for a totally different machine that will work in KTM transponder locks and it will be MUCH cheaper and KTM will never sell another key to anyone on ADVRIDER. and they will be forced to lower their price.

The reason that auto or motorcycle dealer do this is to minimize the chances of some Awhole from coming to a dealer and having a key cut and then stealing your bike. Thank the people that have filed lawsuits against Corp America and won, forcing Corps to cover their A--. I don't like it either but understand the whys' of keys having chips and needing to be programed. The dealer needs the vehicle to program the key to the vehicle.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #40
econwatch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Ordered extra black key from Hanover Powersports NJ in mid Nov 2013 for my '12 990A. Its now been 3 months. They took all info as previously posted and put in order with KTM Austria. A few calls to the guys at HP NJ so far but they've gotten no updates from KTM. Still waiting. This is a little ridiculous...
econwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #41
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantabikesobad View Post
I have not tried this but was told that flashing your computer to 2008 spec,(last year of standard key) you can delete the chipped key and use standard keys. Has anyone heard of this. I am about to try it as I now have 2 bike payments worth of keys
My buddy Martynho did that, it worked but it's not straight forward
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=14
>2009 ECUs will always look for the immobilizer, even if you load a 2006-08 map
So you need to install a 2006-08 ECU on your 2009-12 bike

After Martynho installed a 2007 ECU we used Tuneecu to copy and paste the 2012 R map figures on a 2007 base map, downloaded it and the bike is running like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastera210 View Post
How about this idea? if you have two black keys go to locksmith and get some non chip keys made then take one of the chip keys and tie it up under dash near the ing lock then it will read that one and use the non chip key!
Sounds good, it may be worth a shot if you have a broken key

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #42
phycospecialties
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Keys

Just an idea! Try having a key made without the chip and see if it works.

I say this because my bike started flashing a imobilizer fault. 13 I think imobilizer control fault.

I unplugged the ICU and fault went away.

Funny thing is the bike still runs and starts with or with out it plugged in.

Bike was still under warranty so the dealer ordered a new key set with an new antenna/control unit/ icu

We first replaced the ICU and coded my original keys, bike starts fault codes present still.

We then replaced switch with antenna and controller, bike starts fault codes present still. 21 and 32 I think can bus failed and something else

But if we unplug the controller bike starts, no codes flash.

I'm seriously considering just taking it out altogether the bike starts every time with out the control unit

You can also test this on your bike by simply unplugging the ICU and trying your remaining key.
phycospecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 AM   #43
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Can you please share this info on the wiring diagram?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phycospecialties View Post
Just an idea! Try having a key made without the chip and see if it works.

I say this because my bike started flashing a imobilizer fault. 13 I think imobilizer control fault.

I unplugged the ICU and fault went away.

Funny thing is the bike still runs and starts with or with out it plugged in.

Bike was still under warranty so the dealer ordered a new key set with an new antenna/control unit/ icu

We first replaced the ICU and coded my original keys, bike starts fault codes present still.

We then replaced switch with antenna and controller, bike starts fault codes present still. 21 and 32 I think can bus failed and something else

But if we unplug the controller bike starts, no codes flash.

I'm seriously considering just taking it out altogether the bike starts every time with out the control unit

You can also test this on your bike by simply unplugging the ICU and trying your remaining key.
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #44
phycospecialties
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Icu

If you look the parts fisch. It's located with the key set. A small black box with 5 or six wires going to a white plug. It's located under the glove box on the bike. I do not have the wiring diagram. Trying to get one from another member here but I haven't been able to get it downloaded.
phycospecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #45
up2nogood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Did you try ktmpartsonline? They're Aussie and pricing is ok.
I'm screwed, prior owner lost orange key...