Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #46
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 397
I can't believe that the police officer was let go over this. Maybe he can come to my home town and be a member of our police force. Almost all of our motor officers are pretty good guys. Yes, they will ticket you if you are out there doing stupid things but they don't harass. Almost all of them will give you a wave back if you wave at them. Sitting at a stop light with one a month ago, we talked. I asked him if he wasn't getting cold as he was in shirt sleeves. He told me he was going to stop in just a moment to put on his coat. I following him into the market he stopped at and we stood and talked about motorcycling for a half hour. Pretty good guy.

I do remember the 60's and the 70's when the police would bust your chops for being on a motorcycle. Lots better now.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #47
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I'm of the belief the police must be held to a higher standard than the general public.

But I also believe you can't expect that just because someone puts on a uniform they are any different than the general public.

So the man gave his bike a little shot alongside a fellow rider.
No biggie to me.

Should never have lost his job.
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #48
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Next time read before you quote
why you followed my post
by calling me a arsehole.
if not well read before you post
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #49
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
As evidenced by the video, your use of the word "they" is an exaggeration.

Aparently some of "them" DO like other motorcyclists, and have no problem in having a little fun. Some of "us" ride every weekend, and most of the time some of "us" don't ride with other cops.

As one of "them", I saw nothing drastic.......nothing I would have written a ticket for had both been "civilians", and most certainly nothing that the guy should have lost his job over.

Now....if by "them" you were referring to the current crop of Police adminstrators........I agree with you. Most of those guys forgot where they came from, and will use whatever means available to them to advance thru the ranks.
You're a "civilian" too jackass. You just made my point. I'd imagine you're not very popular at the donut shop either.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #50
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You're a "civilian" too jackass. You just made my point. I'd imagine you're not very popular at the donut shop either.

So out of my entire post, the only thing you can refute is my use of the word "civilian"?
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #51
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
I'm of the belief the police must be held to a higher standard than the general public.

But I also believe you can't expect that just because someone puts on a uniform they are any different than the general public.

So the man gave his bike a little shot alongside a fellow rider.
No biggie to me.

Should never have lost his job.
THEY think they're different than the REST of the public. Yes they're no different than you or I , they just like to think they are.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #52
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
why you followed my post
by calling me a arsehole.
if not well read before you post
cheers
You conceited asshole, I was talking about whomever posted the video on the internet, not the poster directly above me. Sheesh.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #53
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
THEY think they're different than the REST of the public. Yes they're no different than you or I , they just like to think they are.
So you want "them" to be treated as any other person around? Like yourself?

No problem.

So would you have to resign if you were filmed doing this kind of "race"? Honestly?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #54
joexr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
So you want "them" to be treated as any other person around? Like yourself?

No problem.

So would you have to resign if you were filmed doing this kind of "race"? Honestly?
He should have gotten a ticket. If a ticket cost him his job , so be it. Same as a trucker. If his peers want more well that's the way the cookie crumbles.(or donut as the case may be)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #55
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,500
Got his Job back

BREAKING NEWS:
Did anyone see this video? http://youtu.be/o6f9ObCTeIA

In short, a rider filmed his encounter with a motorcycle police officer, in which the officer engaged with the rider in a little friendly engine revving and quick starts at a couple of green lights, you know, fellow riders just saying “Hi” and sharing in the joys of two-wheeled travel. So the rider posted the video on YouTube, and sure enough, the officer was asked to resign by his commanding officers, and basically got fired for being a good guy and building friendly rapport with his community… It was a major bummer.

But, word has just come through that the officer will get his job back! The rider who filmed the whole thing was not happy with the officer losing his job, so he started an online petition to reinstate the officer, and this morning, the department Chief has released a statement that the officer will be back on the job Friday.

Here’s the statement from the officer, who has been identified as Carlos Rogers: "I don't have any hard feelings against the department. All my life and throughout my career I have tried to be humble and reserved, but I'm not perfect. If I could start over I would have never done what I did. I appreciate everyone's support and I can't believe how everything has turned around for me. I guess it's the will of God."

Our faith in humanity is restored! What do you guys think of this turn of events?

Read more about it right here: http://www.wsfa.com/story/23970489/m...s-his-job-back
Old 11-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #56
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
You conceited asshole, I was talking about whomever posted the video on the internet, not the poster directly above me. Sheesh.
Well I owe you an apology.
Sheeeeeeesh
We're arseholes
Conceited
Well I make a post
The next post relates to a poster
Being a areshole
Well occams razor
Agrees with me
Lol
Cheers
Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #57
fallingoff
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
BREAKING NEWS:
Did anyone see this video? http://youtu.be/o6f9ObCTeIA

In short, a rider filmed his encounter with a motorcycle police officer, in which the officer engaged with the rider in a little friendly engine revving and quick starts at a couple of green lights, you know, fellow riders just saying “Hi” and sharing in the joys of two-wheeled travel. So the rider posted the video on YouTube, and sure enough, the officer was asked to resign by his commanding officers, and basically got fired for being a good guy and building friendly rapport with his community… It was a major bummer.

But, word has just come through that the officer will get his job back! The rider who filmed the whole thing was not happy with the officer losing his job, so he started an online petition to reinstate the officer, and this morning, the department Chief has released a statement that the officer will be back on the job Friday.

Here’s the statement from the officer, who has been identified as Carlos Rogers: "I don't have any hard feelings against the department. All my life and throughout my career I have tried to be humble and reserved, but I'm not perfect. If I could start over I would have never done what I did. I appreciate everyone's support and I can't believe how everything has turned around for me. I guess it's the will of God."

Our faith in humanity is restored! What do you guys think of this turn of events?

Read more about it right here: http://www.wsfa.com/story/23970489/m...s-his-job-back
Great result, some common sense at last,
Karma etc.
I hope he has a long career.
Cheers
Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #58
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 948
Good news! That was a little harsh. I guess we can zap this thread and close the books on this one.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #59
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
Great result, some common sense at last,
Karma etc.
I hope he has a long career.
Cheers
This.
Glad to hear.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #60
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Certainly good news. I have had many nice encounters with moto-cops over the years. The best was on my commute home from work one night. I worked just inside D.C.'s beltway, I would generally ride 66 home using the HOV lane to make good time. I had just gotten on the beltway when I see in my mirrors a big group of D.C. police Harleys. I moved over and let them pass as they were really moving. The last cop in line points to me and then to his rear right. I got right in line. We were up to 120 mph (indicated on my BMW so it was probably more like 110) for most of the ride. I made it home in record time that day. By far one of the best run ins I have ever had with a Police officer and I never got to thank them. I found out later they were heading out to put the bikes in storage/maintenance for the winter.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote