User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Lithium Ion Batteries in Cold Weather

I know there are a lot of threads on lithium ion batteries, but I didn't find any that adequately addressed cold weather. I need a new battery, and I'd like to fit a larger capacity battery in the same space as my stock battery... So a lithium battery just makes sense in this regard. However, I ride through the winter, so I don't want to be let down with a battery that isn't up to the task. Normal riding temps here in Northeastern PA in the winter range from the teens into the 20s. However, single digit temps are fairly common as well.

I'd like to hear from those of you who actually use their lithium batteries in the cold weather, and how they actually perform.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,059
Lithium Iron.

The people that I have talked to found them worthless below at 50F.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I have a Shoria in my F650GS and it kinda sucks in the winter at any temp below 40*. In cold weather your supposed to turn your key on and leave the headlight on for a minute or so to warm the battery. The problem with that on my bike is that the headlight doesn't come on until you start the bike. So I can't warm the battery to start the thing.

So I end up just hitting the start button over and over until it finally turns the bike fast enough to start it. My next battery won't be another lithium ion.
Ride-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
Have a Shoria in my FJR, last night it started at roughly 25 degrees but it wasn't happy starting.

My XR has a Li Iron, forget the make but it ain't a Shoria and it has seen it's last days I think and the cold helped it along I think.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
BTW, if you get one,,,, get one listed as roughly twice what they recommend. The one in my FJR is roughly twice the power recommended and it's still greatly effected. The batteries will warm up as you try to crank it and that does help but my XR's just won't do it and it's the "normal" recommended size.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
I had one on my DR and although it never didn't start the bike waiting up to 15 minutes for the damn thing to warm up (in 25 degree temperature) just sucks. Back to a good old Yuasa.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Well, I got impatient and ordered the lithium battery last night. I'm afraid I may have made a mistake in doing so, since I ride a lot in the cold weather. My stock battery is 10 Ah/180 CCA. The Ballistic 12 cell is 20 Ah/400 CCA. I'll report back after I have a chance to thoroughly test it out in cold weather.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 11-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
My stock battery is 10 Ah/180 CCA. The Ballistic 12 cell is 20 Ah/400 CCA.
Keep in mind that they also 'fudge' those numbers. the Ballistic 12 cell is called a 20 amp hour battery, but it is actually 6.9 amp hours. They claim that it is equivalent to 20 amp hour.

Just another reason to be sceptical about them.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,892
Quote:
I know there are a lot of threads on lithium ion batteries, but I didn't find any that adequately addressed cold weather. I need a new battery, and I'd like to fit a larger capacity battery in the same space as my stock battery... So a lithium battery just makes sense in this regard. However, I ride through the winter, so I don't want to be let down with a battery that isn't up to the task. Normal riding temps here in Northeastern PA in the winter range from the teens into the 20s. However, single digit temps are fairly common as well.

I'd like to hear from those of you who actually use their lithium batteries in the cold weather, and how they actually perform.
you didn't look very hard .. right here on Adv .. my LiFePO4 testing thread is the world's best resource on 12v LiFePO4 motorcycle batteries ... link in sig

cold starting has been covered in detail, along with a slew of other factors LiFePO4 mfg don't say much if anything about.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
when it's cold why not just just on the key say 1-2 minutes before you plan on starting it and let the battery pull current that way and warm up from bike draw???

with that said, i'm still using a US-produced sealed Deka AGM battery myself.
it costs $60 shipped online, last a solid 4+ years every time and works rock solid every time & all the time. i have a bike (DR650) that a lbs or 2 difference in weight does not matter.
at this point (w/ current prices), the only bike i'd pay extra for Lithium is a dirtbike where every lbs counts.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 10:00 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Lithium Iron.
There are both Lithium Ion ("Li-ion") and Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO) batteries.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,159
Here in eastern Idaho my Shorai-powered KLR sits in a cold (20s and colder) garage for days, even weeks and months in winter, unused. I've had no difficulty starting it.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
max384 OP
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Keep in mind that they also 'fudge' those numbers. the Ballistic 12 cell is called a 20 amp hour battery, but it is actually 6.9 amp hours. They claim that it is equivalent to 20 amp hour.

Just another reason to be sceptical about them.
Do you have a link or explanation on this? I definitely don't like the sound of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
you didn't look very hard .. right here on Adv .. my LiFePO4 testing thread is the world's best resource on 12v LiFePO4 motorcycle batteries ... link in sig

cold starting has been covered in detail, along with a slew of other factors LiFePO4 mfg don't say much if anything about.
I did see your thread, but it was honestly too dense for me to look though all 24 pages, and it seemed to be technical tests, not real world experience of guys actually using them in the cold weather.

Thanks for the link though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Here in eastern Idaho my Shorai-powered KLR sits in a cold (20s and colder) garage for days, even weeks and months in winter, unused. I've had no difficulty starting it.
Do you mean there is no difficulty starting the bike in that weather, or do you mean that there is no difficulty starting it once the weather warms up after being stored in those cold conditions?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,159
No difficulty starting once ambient temps warm up. I don't ride in our winters, and prefer not to ride when it's colder than, say, low-40s unless the morning's start requires me to.

byways screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 10:30 AM Reason: add text
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Quote:
Do you have a link or explanation on this? I definitely don't like the sound of that.
They try to explain it here.
http://www.ballisticparts.com/tech/faq.php#6

For those that think that simply turning on the key for a few seconds will warm the battery, that may work for them, but is is proven to not work on my bike, a 2009 Stelvio. The headlight only comes on after the motor has started. And the starter will not try to pull in if the voltage is too low. So turning on the key will not warm the battery. And the bike is a huge pig to try and push start.

I just sold a 1994 motorcycle with a 2001 AGM Odyssey battery that was still in great shape. My 2004 still has the original factory AGM lead acid battery. My 2009 still has the original factory AGM battery. Last night when I left work, the dash on my motorcycle was flashing a snowflake symbol because it was only 31 degrees out. The AGM lead acid had zero issues. I have no reason to go with a chemistry that has failed for my friends. They claimed failure at just under 50F.

YOUR investment into this experimental technology is appreciated.

worwig screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 04:43 PM
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote