Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
ABChaos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Stan up when 2 up?

So this may be a stupid question....

I primarily ride solo and obviously ride standing on my pegs when off road. I'm about to do a trip riding 2 up and will encounter some off-road terrain but probably nothing gnarly. Is it best to then stand while the passenger stays seated for better bike control?
ABChaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,265
If you are going downhill, you might not have a seat left when you do decide to sit down.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,417
Probably not a real good idea to stand up with a passenger.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
My ex didn't mind me standing off road, or on while she was riding pillion. Most of the time it was simply to let the blood flow, and to stretch out a little. She was like a piece of luggage back there though, and rode many thousands of miles with me. She would stand while we rode at times too for the same reasons.

I'd make sure your pillion knows when you are going to do it, and is comfortable with you doing so ahead of time. Since you are new at the 2up thing I would practice slowly, and cautiously at first as well. At the end of the day only you will be able to decide if it's beneficial or not.

It was beneficial to stand, and look over drop offs before heading down them for me. Of course stopping, getting off, and checking ahead would probably make her feel more comfortable...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Who is Stan?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Who is Stan?
i am. and i wish someone would fix the title to this thread, because i keep thinking the forum is talking directly to me...
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
mtnbikeboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Paging Big & LittleWan.

I believe if you watch some of their videos, Matt does stand up when they are offroad.
mtnbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,075
No problem, just remember to not fart
Old 11-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
DHawthorne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Hey Guys,

Just recently watched a series of basic D/S training videos which just happen to show some examples of 2up riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0zef...FCF0D3B73D5066

Cheers,
Darrel
DHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikeboy View Post
Paging Big & LittleWan.

I believe if you watch some of their videos, Matt does stand up when they are offroad.
exactly what I thought, those two pretty much set the standard for two up off road riding.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
My wife and I usually ride our own bikes, but recently we were 2up on my Suzuki Vstrom and found our selves off road. I stood up to see how it felt while she sat down and I was amazed at how good it felt 2up. Certainly much better than both of us sitting down. Honestly it just felt like she was luggage back there.

I tried to get her to stand up with me, but she didn't want to participate in that even though she's really good about standing up on her own bike.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
My wife and I usually ride our own bikes, but recently we were 2up on my Suzuki Vstrom and found our selves off road. I stood up to see how it felt while she sat down and I was amazed at how good it felt 2up. Certainly much better than both of us sitting down. Honestly it just felt like she was luggage back there.

I tried to get her to stand up with me, but she didn't want to participate in that even though she's really good about standing up on her own bike.
my ex wife used to sometimes stand up with me depending on why I stood up, in traffic if I was standing a moment for visibility over lines of traffic, she would remain seated, but many times just riding down the road I would stand to absorb an upcoming bump, she would pull herself up with my shoulders, something we just started doing cause of the shitty SV650 suspension

if my ex was good at anything, its was riding pillon, it was hard to tell the was on the back unless she was actually touching me, in cold, she always kept he hands warm by reaching thru the armpit vents of my Aerostich and getting warmth from my electric liner
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I stand on the pegs with my wife on the back when I need to because of the terrain. I prefer her to stay seated so, as already stated, she is like luggage on the back. You have way more control standing when the terrain demands it. Don't forget that she's back there, though, and taking the rough bumps sitting down with nothing to hang onto. In other words, take it easy. I put a seat on my wee that has a pretty good lip in front of her so she doesn't slide forward. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
On washboards and rocky spots, sometimes we both stand up. Just a much smoother ride. It doesn't work as well in a place where you have to toss the bike around.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,403
The only issue I could see (other than your passenger sliding under you on downhills) is that you may tend to hit bumps harder while standing. If the passenger remains seated, that is going to be a rough ride back there.

My wife tries to lift off the seat when she sees the big bumps coming. She doesn't always see them coming, and I can hear the wind getting knocked out of her through the intercom. No wonder she wanted her own bike.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote