Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #46
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
There isn't any way to put hard bags on an RNineT is there?
if you look at the BMW page for that bike they do have a nice tail bag and tank bag but no hard luggage. but.... the R1200 C had bag.... so, i'm sure someone will make some for us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #47
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

An update from a "Ride in the Rain"

I just rode 35 miles in the rain in city traffic and a few country roads. I will add to my observations noted at the beginning of this thread.

I did play around with the modes little bit and noticed the different throttle response in RAIN mode, to have spent most of my time in DYNAMIC mode. the bike handles wonderfully in the rain and I'm reminded of how much I'd rather be writing the boxer that some S1000RR in these conditions. Many years ago I owned a Suzuki GSX-R750 and I bought that bike instead of the 1000cc model because I thought it was much safer to ride because grabbing a handful of throttle was much less likely to kill you that its larger-displaced brother. even though BMW has every bit of engine management trickery in place you can still get yourself in trouble in the rain with your right hand even if you do know what you're doing. RAIN mode was fun to try for a while by switch back to ROAD mode fairly quickly. we are all aware that BMW has the best breaks in the business not because they are necessarily the strongest but because they modulate so well which is a huge deal in rain. Remember I said I was riding in a city environment and therefore there was oil all over the roads and I never felt the bike ready to slip on deceleration.

A few other things I wanted to touch on again:
- the clutch is fantastic in the engagement at three quarters of the way out of lever travel is perfect and very progressive and linear. Kudos to BMW here
- the oddly shaped windscreen worked well about two thirds of the way up from all the way down. Again, please remember that I am 5'6" tall with a 27 1/2 inch inseam.
- the BMW small tank bag is a perfect size for me and this bikeand and the fact that it has a fully waterproof compartment inside is wonderful
- the low seat on this normally suspended bike is just perfect for my frame but I do look forward to taking a 250 to 300 mile ride this Sunday, two days from now, when the weather is supposed to be much nicer.
- I spent some time staring at the bike today and notice something important. The VARIO CASES have a taper towards their rear which fits along the tapering of the rear section of the GS. I was unaware that until today and it showed me why those particular cases fit better and look better on the bike that any metal variant. IMHO, of course. Again, I won't be taking this GS off-road because of my size so I'm well aware the fact that if you are going to be taking a bike in a much more rugged environment these cases won't work for you, probably.
- I installed PIVOT PEGZ on my GS and they are wider that standard pegs. Because of my size I always get on the GS by putting my left foot on the left peg and swinging my right foot over. that is why I like these particular pegs because they give much better area for purchase for my left boot when mounting the bike. one thing I noticed was that it is difficult to get the heel of my boot to lower the side stand when I come to rest because the part that sticks out to catch your boot is very close to the front part of the peg and I almost have to look down every time to make sure what I'm doing. In time, obviously, this will become much more second nature to me because of muscle memory etc.
- I have not yet use the center stand but will report back on that when I do.

again, enclosing for now, this bike is everything I thought it would be and more. I appreciate everyone who's taken the time to read this and those who helped me get to this point of waiting until mine was here.

the very best all of you
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 11-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #48
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
If you have time to share…maybe some more impressions of the Anakee III's? Wet/dry how long they take to scrub in?

Never take your bike someplace your head hasn't already been.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #49
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
If you have time to share…maybe some more impressions of the Anakee III's? Wet/dry how long they take to scrub in?
you have to give me a couple of weeks to accurately give you that information. We felt fine in the wet today. I've sort of been a student of tire tread architecture and its relationship to the road noise and handling characteristics because I'm a huge nerd... so i've been looking carefullly at michelin's choice of "cut-out" on the face of the tread and how THAT choice has cause a great deal of ROAD WHINE at almost ANY speed. i know how much folks love these tires and i wear earplugs, so it really doesn't matter... but, as a point of interest these tires have more road noise than any other i've had on my bikes recently
Old 11-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #50
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
'14 R1200 GS & '14 R nineT (march, 2014)

Your sig line

What is a " '14 R nineT "

Got it !
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #51
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
- the LED light is great. but I think I must mention the following. My friend was riding behind me on his K1600 GT with the LED lights. a much sure a lot of you are aware that those lights are invisible to vehicles riding in front. They may throw a great deal of light at night and they may look cool in a picture but you really can't see them when looking at the bike in the daylight. The LED light on the new GS is fantastic but it isn't really is visible from a vehicle riding in front of you in the daylight as a traditional headlight assembly and that really aggravates me.
This comment was made to me, too, by a rider I was following. I adjusted the headlight and then everything was fine.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #52
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Here you go, Coma.....some thorough Anakee 3 ride/tire reviews can be found in these threads,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905927

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896111

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929415

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882083
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #53
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
This comment was made to me, too, by a rider I was following. I adjusted the headlight and then everything was fine.

i will let him know
thanks for your experience in the matter
i was surprised how "INVISIBLE" they were to me
Old 11-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #54
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,024
Greg - great write ups. I would be interested to hear your comments on the headlamp at night with the TT guard removed. As you know LED lighting is extremely directional and despite the quite delicate design of the guard, it still blocks a significant amount of light (which is why it’s marked for off road use only).

Out of curiosity could you post a photo of your LED indicator lights? I’m interested to see if they are the same units as the ECE models or if they are on longer stalks like the DOT standard indicators...

Also are you experiencing the cylinder decompression device ticking occasionally when the engine is idling and then engine is fully warmed up?

Glad you are enjoying the new bike!

Blog: Blogspot **SO NEW IT STINKS!** Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #55
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Thanks for taking the time! Good stuff.

Never take your bike someplace your head hasn't already been.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #56
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
I've sort of been a student of tire tread architecture and its relationship to the road noise and handling characteristics because I'm a huge nerd... so i've been looking carefullly at michelin's choice of "cut-out" on the face of the tread and how THAT choice has cause a great deal of ROAD WHINE at almost ANY speed.
Completely agree, the Anakees are fantastic wet and dry but remarkably loud...

Love the HDRs btw!

Blog: Blogspot **SO NEW IT STINKS!** Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #57
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Completely agree, the Anakees are fantastic wet and dry but remarkably loud...

Love the HDRs btw!
I suppose the loudness of the tires is a good compromise for how confident we all feel with them carrying us around.

I am going on a 200 to 300 mile ride tomorrow with the neighbor and I will try to take as many pictures as I can but to more riding is more important. I will report back tomorrow night with my continued findings

thank you for your kind words about the photography
Old 11-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #58
mountainguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
What mileage do people get with the Anakee's. I hate changing tires.
mountainguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #59
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,494
Greg, I have to ask this, but if you have no intention of going off road, why are you running an off road only headlight guard? The roads there aren't that bad!
Old 11-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #60
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Greg, I have to ask this, but if you have no intention of going off road, why are you running an off road only headlight guard? The roads there aren't that bad!
I have also ordered a plastic cover to take that metal covers place. Your question is well put and I suppose that most will think I'm doing it for style only. However, in the past few years I have replaced the windshield and two of my cars because of rocks coming up from trucks in front of me. That LED headlight assembly is very expensive and the headlight guard is not. I hope I hope that I never have to see if it really works

also, I still go to bed every single night even at age 51 hoping that when I wake up I'll be 6 inches taller and can finally ride my bikes off-road