ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #61
rotarywing
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 50
Lots of great info and good links.

I am taking delivery of a 14 GS Adventure in March and wonder what off toad tires I should choose.

Tire life is not important since the tires are pretty cheap to start with and I can swap them myself in very little time but traction in gravel, sand and mudd is.

Any suggestion for a 80% off road and 20% on road option?
rotarywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #62
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,871
Looks like propper size 50/50 offroad tires are not for sale anywhere I can find, but that hopefully will change by the time you take delivery. And even more sadly, I see nothing in a true 80/20 tire for the new GS. That's perhaps the biggest deal breaker keeping one out of my garage.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #63
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Lincolnville,Maine
Oddometer: 624
I'm on my second bike this year on the Anakee IIIs. I've decided that I really like these tires for 80/20 work. Mostly crappy roads with the occasional trip down the dirt. Today, it was a typical November day in Maine where the sunny spots on the road are wet and the shadows are hard frosted. The Anakee IIIs do a particularly great job on this kind of pavement. As a decent all around, do everything well tire they are the best I've found. It's kind of like the GS. It does everything well but nothing really the best.
__________________
'14 GSW
'02 Aprilia Mille
'66 R50/2 with hack
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #64
rotarywing
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 50
I really hope so. I bougth it for off road. I have a Harley for on road riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Looks like propper size 50/50 offroad tires are not for sale anywhere I can find, but that hopefully will change by the time you take delivery. And even more sadly, I see nothing in a true 80/20 tire for the new GS. That's perhaps the biggest deal breaker keeping one out of my garage.
rotarywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #65
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner
 
ClearwaterBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL USA
Oddometer: 5,972
just got back from a 220 mile ride in all give you a quick synopsis to spend a bit of time with my wife before she hits me over the head with a stick

I now have 350 miles in the bike which doesn't someone a lot to most of you but all of it was back roads no highway The bike below 5500 RPM the entire time. Interestingly enough first tank of gas OF 5500 RPM and I am not an easy rider 48.3 miles per gallon on a brand-new motor which is incredible to me.

a few other thoughts:

- not one time did the bike miss and upshift. I have owned countless BMWs every single one of them has false neutrals between first and second second and third almost all the time even after the transmission is broken in putting the spike not one single time yet knock on wood.

- the bike is a pleasure to ride. with earplugs in the only thing I hear is the road noise from the tires which was discussed above several times. The bike is comfortable and although the low seat is a bit hard I expected that because it's the only seat I can ride with on the bike that I know of in existence yet. It is likely I will exchange the seat at some point

- the Clearwater lights are working well as on the stock LED bulbs. The LED turn signals are nice as well.

- The bike has plenty of power when you needed it and when keeping the RPMs below 5500. I hope to have the first service done with in a week and then really see what the motor can do.

- the Vario cases are growing on me for this bike... for this rider... for this application.

- the clutch is wonderful with an engagement zone that is far superior than any other BMW I've ever ridden. while there is a long throw, relatively speaking, of the gearshift itself, it is certainly far smoother than any BMW in recollection and I have been on plenty, of my own and those belonging to friends.

- the brakes are typically BMW superior without being too intrusive. they are very progressive, strong, and work just the way they're supposed to.

- I did play around with the rain mode and the dynamic mode and appreciated the difference in the throttle sensitivity. I left the bike and rode mode most of the time

I LOVE THIS BIKE....
and will add more to this thread later
thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this.
__________________
Greg
'11 R1200 GS Adventure with a DMC M72DX Sidecar
'14 R1200 GS & '14 R nineT (march, 2014)
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #66
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!
 
ooweel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: ShoeMashVille
Oddometer: 790
Would this make a great tug?

Greg,

What are your thoughts on this bike being hacked?
ooweel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #67
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner
 
ClearwaterBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL USA
Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
Greg,

What are your thoughts on this bike being hacked?
I already have a hack as you know so I wouldn't hack this bike. however I think it would be great because of the increased power that my 2011 does not have. Jay at DMC Has already happened his personal water-cooled GS, as i have heard
__________________
Greg
'11 R1200 GS Adventure with a DMC M72DX Sidecar
'14 R1200 GS & '14 R nineT (march, 2014)
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #68
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner
 
ClearwaterBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL USA
Oddometer: 5,972
a few pictures from today:


I went writing today with my two friends and their Harley dressers. it was a great time and they really are awesome riders.



this is a picture outside my office



John, on the left and Hutch on the right



Outside of Inverness, FL
[imghttp://savel.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/My-2014-BMW-R1200-GS/i-jg7d7Hz/0/X3/DSC00162-X3.jpg][/img]


At Sleepy Hollow in Inverness
http://www.wallowatthehollow.com/
__________________
Greg
'11 R1200 GS Adventure with a DMC M72DX Sidecar
'14 R1200 GS & '14 R nineT (march, 2014)
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #69
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!
 
ooweel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: ShoeMashVille
Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
I already have a hack as you know so I wouldn't hack this bike. however I think it would be great because of the increased power that my 2011 does not have. Jay at DMC Has already happened his personal water-cooled GS, as i have heard
I am waiting to hear about Claude's or someones he does up.
This bike in an ADV get up seems like the ticket.

Thanks
ooweel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #70
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Monterrey, NL, Mexico
Oddometer: 172
My ride experience.

Sorry if highjacking, but would like to comment on my first off road experience.

Im up to 500Kms and the engine is really starting to settle in and run smooth. The shifting keeps improving and getting smoother every Km I ride. I did drain a little oil from the clutch reservoir as it was overfilled as other stated. My engine oil is a little just under the upper part of the circle, probably will drain a filters worth of oil in the next few days just to compare on the shifting and clutch engagement.

As for my first off road experience, it was a blast. Never had owned a BMW or GS for that matter. My first impression when buying it was that i would never get it off road, as it was too big to handle. Well it was almost as if i was ridding my sons CRF250X, (not really but could relate)very agile, smooth and the tires held quite good for being 80/20. Really looking forward to the Anakee Wild next spring. I changed the riding mode to Enduro, but did not like the feel of the traction control. It seams it exerts too much back and forth force to the final drive when limiting the slip. I was not able to stop and plug the Enduro Pro plug since it was getting dark, but im sure i will like it even more as it will eliminate the back and forth of the traction control. The acceleration is smooth no fast jerks, but when presented with a high incline, you do have to be prepared to keep the revs up. Clutching to help gain a few revs is wonderful in this wet clutches, just can't imagine the old GS with dry clutches, just too painful to even try. I only tried the ESA on Soft and it worked great, you can feel the suspension working, maybe that is why the traction control felt too much back and forth. Next time i will try the other settings.

Thanks

Felipe
__________________
2013 1200GSW Brand Spanking New!
Flying Tivo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #71
nadredrum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: northern Indiana
Oddometer: 142
If you love the motor now, wait till you can open it up after the first service. From what I have noticed the sweet spot is 6k to 8k, and you will know when you get there. First time I played with dynamic after the first service I opened it up getting on the interstate and it is crazy fast, and power wheelies far easier than I figured it would, at 80 mph the front wheel was no where near the pavement. Just take it easy on that shoulder for a while.
nadredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #72
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner
 
ClearwaterBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL USA
Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooweel View Post
I am waiting to hear about Claude's or someones he does up.
This bike in an ADV get up seems like the ticket.

Thanks
i thoroughly agree
__________________
Greg
'11 R1200 GS Adventure with a DMC M72DX Sidecar
'14 R1200 GS & '14 R nineT (march, 2014)
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #73
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner
 
ClearwaterBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL USA
Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tivo View Post
Sorry if highjacking, but would like to comment on my first off road experience.

Im up to 500Kms and the engine is really starting to settle in and run smooth. The shifting keeps improving and getting smoother every Km I ride. I did drain a little oil from the clutch reservoir as it was overfilled as other stated. My engine oil is a little just under the upper part of the circle, probably will drain a filters worth of oil in the next few days just to compare on the shifting and clutch engagement.

As for my first off road experience, it was a blast. Never had owned a BMW or GS for that matter. My first impression when buying it was that i would never get it off road, as it was too big to handle. Well it was almost as if i was ridding my sons CRF250X, (not really but could relate)very agile, smooth and the tires held quite good for being 80/20. Really looking forward to the Anakee Wild next spring. I changed the riding mode to Enduro, but did not like the feel of the traction control. It seams it exerts too much back and forth force to the final drive when limiting the slip. I was not able to stop and plug the Enduro Pro plug since it was getting dark, but im sure i will like it even more as it will eliminate the back and forth of the traction control. The acceleration is smooth no fast jerks, but when presented with a high incline, you do have to be prepared to keep the revs up. Clutching to help gain a few revs is wonderful in this wet clutches, just can't imagine the old GS with dry clutches, just too painful to even try. I only tried the ESA on Soft and it worked great, you can feel the suspension working, maybe that is why the traction control felt too much back and forth. Next time i will try the other settings.

Thanks

Felipe
I am glad that you posted here. How nice to know about your experiences on this much larger bike. I am happy that the bike has lived up to your expectations and even more so. I hope that you will tell us about more of your experiences soon.
__________________
Greg
'11 R1200 GS Adventure with a DMC M72DX Sidecar
'14 R1200 GS & '14 R nineT (march, 2014)
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #74
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner
 
ClearwaterBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Clearwater, FL USA
Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadredrum View Post
If you love the motor now, wait till you can open it up after the first service. From what I have noticed the sweet spot is 6k to 8k, and you will know when you get there. First time I played with dynamic after the first service I opened it up getting on the interstate and it is crazy fast, and power wheelies far easier than I figured it would, at 80 mph the front wheel was no where near the pavement. Just take it easy on that shoulder for a while.
You know I can't wait for that. Hopefully it will only be another week. I appreciate your comments about your own experiences and I look forward to finding out for myself.
I agree about the shoulder. I was very very thankful that I had no twinge of discomfort from it whatsoever. I am well aware, however, there could be issues if I don't take it easy.
__________________
Greg
'11 R1200 GS Adventure with a DMC M72DX Sidecar
'14 R1200 GS & '14 R nineT (march, 2014)
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #75
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 962
Nice write up and nice bike.

The Std lights are set rather low. But on the fully lit motorways and local streets that's not really a problem for me.
Just starting to wonder if the Clearwater lights will work in conjunction with the auto DRL function set to DRL. Since I do want to use them to filter inbetween the traffic.

Lots of nice photo's, it's probably the only time your bike will be that clean.

I am about the same size as you. About 167 cm with a 73 cm inseam (28 1/2"). Low suspension and low seat. But I am probably a bit lighter so the suspension is less compressed. Next bike will be either a normal GS with low seat or a GSA with an extra low speed.


Have fun and go ride (or sleep, I don't know what time it is over there).
__________________
Past bikes: 09 BMW F800ST
Current ride: 2013 BMW R1200GS

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014