Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #181
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Sooo, wheres the photo of Lady Godiva ,Wes.?
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #182
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
I am 31 now and all my friends are married and have kids or have kids and are getting married, they work 9-5 normal life with 3-4 weeks holiday a year i go round and see them, i look them in the eyes and see the fire has gone out and this scares me really scares me to be like this, i have friends i work with who are planning bike trips now but for 5 days max because there wifes/GF said that's the limit?!?!
That about sums it up for me. I felt myself going that way and made some changes...

Anyone up for Mongolia in August? PM me...

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #183
IvanRUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Hi!
Slight refinement of Ingushetia - this border zone: (

On the border of Ingushetia and Chechnya such inscriptions: "mine"!

Chechnya and Dagestan itself safe for tourists...
IvanRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #184
IvanRUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Chechen police Sharoy village, near the border with Georgia:

[IMG][/IMG]
IvanRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #185
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanRUS View Post
Hi!
Slight refinement of Ingushetia - this border zone: (

On the border of Ingushetia and Chechnya such inscriptions: "mine"!

Chechnya and Dagestan itself safe for tourists...

Prevet Ivan!!!

Great photos & cool set up on your KTM.....

Yes i never planned to visit the Caucasus mountains it was very last minute decision for me so when i was there i was limited in time due to my last minute decision to visit........I stopped shortly after crossing into Russia from Ukraine at Donets'k (not Ukraine but Russian Donetsk) and was planning to head East straight to Volgograd where i would then head to Samara and cross into Kazakhstan at Uralsk, i stopped and looked up at a sign and i remember it well it said something like

Volgograd 450km
Rostov-on-Don 120km

I was tired from miles and miles on the DRZ it was just one of those days where i wanted to just burn my bike and all my smelly motorbike cloths and head home..... i am sure many people get these days i get them after hours on asphalt road motorways and could not bring myself that day to ride 450km to Volgograd on what i could only assume would be asphalt motorway as map says....

So Rostov-on-Don was a lot closer so i headed South and would decide what to do after, I always wanted to Visit Georgia and said i might do this on my return trip back but i am sure maybe i would not as i change my mind alot so just decided last minute "well i am heading South so might as well just keep going now"

Well i found out a real trip to the Caucasus could easily just be one big trip in its self for many weeks i am sure as i don't think you would make many miles each day due to the friendly hospitality of all the people you meet.

I think many tourist will be/our heading to these areas as Caucasus's is such a beautiful area, i asked about visiting Dagestan on my trip to some locals and they said yes it is safe but maybe travel day light hours only at the time of my trip, i am sure it would be fine however due to time constants i never visited this Republic

As you mentioned "Slight refinement of Ingushetia - this border zone" well i never traveled on these tracks like you in your photo on my time in this area as i stayed with my hosts mainly so i regret i should of traveled more in remote areas on my time there......... i will just have to go back one day to ride such areas
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #186
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
Sooo, wheres the photo of Lady Godiva ,Wes.?
I had to google that Terry

Godiva (/ɡəˈdaɪvə/; Old English: Godgifu[1]), known as Lady Godiva, was an 11th-century Anglo-Saxon noblewoman who, according to a legend dating back at least to the 13th century, rode naked through the streets of Coventry in order to gain a remission of the oppressive taxation imposed by her husband on his tenants. The name "Peeping Tom" for a voyeur originates from later versions of this legend in which a man named Tom had watched her ride and was struck blind or dead

Not found it, i am sure i took a photo of her or maybe i thought i did as at the time i was more concerned about getting help than a photo but really thought i had one..... such is life

But to be fair i have not looked very hard as i have been to busy and all photos are in a right mix up on that laptop so really need one whole day dedicated to sorting them...... will find time soon but to busy,,,,,,,
Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #187
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
That about sums it up for me. I felt myself going that way and made some changes...

Anyone up for Mongolia in August? PM me...

JG
Old 12-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #188
Mehaniotis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
The proof is in pictures all else are just words.
Be a good fellow and serve us the crumpets with our tea......
Mehaniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #189
EltonAvenue
Banned

Oddometer: 544
Thumb

hey Wes, with regard to your "will I ever settle down" scenario that kicks around in your head, let it go out of the back door & get on with the life that you want to lead at the time you want to lead it!
I always remember someone saying about life "This isn't a practice run!"
You will as time goes on adapt to a more sedate lifestyle, but never, & I mean NEVER worry about ending up as that 'sad old man on his own' that you described!.....lt won't happen, & how do I know this?...Because I have been around the block a few times, I won't bore you with the middle bit other than to say the happiest times where the 18yrs I was single after my 1st divorce .
Because being single & being able to travel 6 weeks a year & every weekend (not exactly your mantra, but my job wasn't as flexible as yours)suited me down to the ground, you can own a place & travel, just not for extended periods, but because you CAN do it, then DO do it, normal to one person is totally out-of-the-box to another person!
I didn't do epic motorbike trips either because it didn't suit me, a few days camping at the BMF Rally in Peterborough was enough to have me craving for my big comfortable bed at home (maybe with someone on the end of a phone to come & make it more comfortable as well!) but my best trips were to utilize Easyjet & their car rental & their hotels as well & set it all up from home & have a very comfortable trip from southern Italy to Northern Italy staying in a rented apartment in places like Bologna on the way, tasting the best ever pizza in Milan, & when in Rome just sitting in the main square watching all the people! But I didn't just do cities, once I just got a plane to Malaga, rented a car & followed my (broken) nose & found some fantastic villages & out-of-the-way places & travelled east to Granada then direct west across country to the Atlantic & you can knock on someone's door & they will direct you to a homestay place or put you up themselves for $30 & give you breakfast.........I could go on & on about my "single" experiences, but this thread is about you, & I am just trying to give you an old fart's perspective on my life where I also thought the same thoughts as you..........
As a footnote, at the age of 59 I met the perfect woman, we live together, but still ride our bikes & have fun that suits us, & we don't have to go on epic trips, we just enjoy what we have (that said, I did go to Nepal, Sri Lanka & Thailand by myself last March because she still has to work)
Also, here's a link to my friend James from England who now lives in California who found the ideal partner late in life.........TTFN
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932758

EltonAvenue screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 08:58 AM
EltonAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #190
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
Thanks for the update! Love it. Now , we're hanging on to WHAT HAPPEN at the DEAD END.
You're right about the US being so different from state to state , but, more so in the Western parts than the Eastern. I've spend a few 100 thousand miles running about the US on motorcycles and enjoy all states, but, some more than others.
Now, on to the DEAD END!

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #191
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
"will find time soon but to busy"

I think it would be a good idea to just go ahead and take the time----

Find it or no----and then we can all just get on with it,
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #192
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehaniotis View Post
The proof is in pictures all else are just words.
Be a good fellow and serve us the crumpets with our tea......
Yes a picture paints a thousand words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
I think it would be a good idea to just go ahead and take the time----

Find it or no----and then we can all just get on with it,
This half day event and brief meeting with this women has turned into main topic here, sorry i thought i had a picture to hand of her however not able to deliver so for now i will fall on my sword so now you can get on with your life and move on from this.......
Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #193
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EltonAvenue View Post
hey Wes, with regard to your "will I ever settle down" scenario that kicks around in your head, let it go out of the back door & get on with the life that you want to lead at the time you want to lead it!
I always remember someone saying about life "This isn't a practice run!"
You will as time goes on adapt to a more sedate lifestyle, but never, & I mean NEVER worry about ending up as that 'sad old man on his own' that you described!.....lt won't happen, & how do I know this?...Because I have been around the block a few times, I won't bore you with the middle bit other than to say the happiest times where the 18yrs I was single after my 1st divorce .
Because being single & being able to travel 6 weeks a year & every weekend (not exactly your mantra, but my job wasn't as flexible as yours)suited me down to the ground, you can own a place & travel, just not for extended periods, but because you CAN do it, then DO do it, normal to one person is totally out-of-the-box to another person!
I didn't do epic motorbike trips either because it didn't suit me, a few days camping at the BMF Rally in Peterborough was enough to have me craving for my big comfortable bed at home (maybe with someone on the end of a phone to come & make it more comfortable as well!) but my best trips were to utilize Easyjet & their car rental & their hotels as well & set it all up from home & have a very comfortable trip from southern Italy to Northern Italy staying in a rented apartment in places like Bologna on the way, tasting the best ever pizza in Milan, & when in Rome just sitting in the main square watching all the people! But I didn't just do cities, once I just got a plane to Malaga, rented a car & followed my (broken) nose & found some fantastic villages & out-of-the-way places & travelled east to Granada then direct west across country to the Atlantic & you can knock on someone's door & they will direct you to a homestay place or put you up themselves for $30 & give you breakfast.........I could go on & on about my "single" experiences, but this thread is about you, & I am just trying to give you an old fart's perspective on my life where I also thought the same thoughts as you..........
As a footnote, at the age of 59 I met the perfect woman, we live together, but still ride our bikes & have fun that suits us, & we don't have to go on epic trips, we just enjoy what we have (that said, I did go to Nepal, Sri Lanka & Thailand by myself last March because she still has to work)
Also, here's a link to my friend James from England who now lives in California who found the ideal partner late in life.........TTFN
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932758
Yes good advice and thanks for the link to the blog, i started briefly looking but will look forward to reading it in full at a later date when i am less busy
Old 12-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #194
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149

More please
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #195
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
In for the ride . . .

Super cool part of the world for exploring. Also some very nice looking women you just happened to ask for directions.

Well played. Carry on.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote