Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #196
KTM Deano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Another top post Wesley Can't wait to get to Ukraine myself next May. Thanks for sharing thees experiences with us.
KTM Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #197
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
So i then stayed in a hotel i found on route and at night looked at the map and thought i would go to Romania or Moldova of maybe both as its kind of on my way, i always could not sleep much at night as i was quit excited about riding my bike (like a kid at christmas eve waiting to open his present but for me the present would be the views i would be seeing and the great people i would be meeting) in the moring and what i will see and who i will meet, most nights i only got around 5-6 hours sleep.

So i set of early for a great ride and great views and made my way to this place as i decided the new plan of the hour would be to cross into Romania as suggested back in poland by the guys who changed my oil for me

On my way i got very lost as is the down side with not using a GPS in large towns or citys so i pulled into a road side cafe to ask for directions and the guy inside got the owner who asked if that was my bike and if i rode from the UK to here, i told he yes and he asked where i was going what plans i have and i replied just making my way to Tajikistan.... he turn around to the guy working and after speaking to him in Ukrianian the guy working said i must stay for food and drink and its all free for me as i am a guest in this country, the Ukriane people are real friendly and this was my first non EU country i visited on my bike and it is one of my favorite countrys i have been to. i am planning to spend more time in Ukraine on another bike trip as it has great views and very friendly people.

After food i asked for directions in which he made a small map on a post-it note for me, this is how i rolled now stopping asking for directions when needed and loclas would sometimes draw maps for me

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 09:45 AM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #198
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Deano View Post
Another top post Wesley Can't wait to get to Ukraine myself next May. Thanks for sharing thees experiences with us.
Hey Deano i highly recommend visiting Ukraine and the Carpathian Mountains, its a great trip with great views and very friendly people. shame i did not stay to long on this trip but thats because its Tajikistan or Bust so really i am just passing these areas alittle to get to Tajikistan however next trips i will spend alot more time there and also travel more slowly
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #199
KTM Deano
Adventurer

Thanks Wesley. I will be coming on from Bulgaria (south west), so probably heading to Odessa first where I have a friend. Plans are not fully sorted yet but I'm hoping to make this trip an annual thing.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #200
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,479
Can't see your pics from your post 221 onwards
Old 12-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #201
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,935
All pictures working and viewable here in the US of A. Magnificent pictures at that.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #202
Deamon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Photo Sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
Sometimes this happens to me and I can't see them also, I think I have used the wrong link from smugmug to upload them as I used forum photo link and not photo link which when I saved some other photos to private which I had uploaded to smugmug it made the pictures on this ride report not viewable....

When I am back home in a few days I will re- upload all the photos using the photo only link on smugmug and then carry on the blog from there.

First blog I have ever done so it's all new to me, any advice maybe from people who blog on here which link they use on smugmug for pictures only?
You should be able to Picasa / Google + or Flicker links as well. And its free too.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #203
KTM Deano
Adventurer

I can see them fine. No problem here
Old 12-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #204
Deamon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thumb

Now,
I can see them too :)
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #205
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorted the photo problem out now as i had it on the wrong setting, every day is a school day.............
Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #206
CosmicWally
n00b

Oddometer: 5
ADV Definition

I think this says it all...No fixed route no hotel booked for the night or no plans to stay anywhere, no GPS way points or a GPS telling me where to go (as it deleted the memory card i was just using it on compass mode now, Garman Montana 650 a expensive compass) just me and the Sputnik Explorer making our way to Tajikistan...Wes, thank you for dragging us along!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #207
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
The expensive compass now has a new home...........
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #208
Prutser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
That compass showed us some strange tracks this summer….

Ride Report 2012
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #209
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #210
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
My new GPS Terry....

I used this from East Ukraine onwards and worked a treat, sometimes you would have to stop to let it settle but it worked well, i also had another small compass in my map case, basicly when there are a few roads with long stretches like at a junction (sometimes small tracks or roads are not on maps) i would get my compass out to pick which one was heading my way towards Tajikistan,,,,,, it was funny sometimes stopping in small villages and asking the locals which way was it to the next country i was going to and sometimes they asked where is my GPS and i just pointed to the small compass on my handle bar

When i was a kid i did alot of orienteering with a map and compass so liked this way of traveling alot more

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 12:41 AM