Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #211
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
Another ripping yarn in the great British tradition! Many thanks for making the effort and brightening up a cold December evening.

Glad to hear you got some social time over there. Friends that have worked the rigs tell me it's often more like this:

Substitute "oil platform" for "oil tanker."
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #212
Deamon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Laugh Slovakian princess!

I think she is the one - 3 photos in - 3 diffrent locations; 3 diffrent dresses - So you meet her atleast thrice on a fast rolling trip where you are working / riding 12 hours a day . I am kinda sure she is the Special one.

Awesome RR. Godspeed bro!!!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #213
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Or maybe-------the Moto GP Paddock Girl

While we wait?
 photo girl_09_preview_big.jpg
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #214
outdooredjim
n00b

Oddometer: 1
all good stuff

as I expected , good photos, and very interesting and informative
outdooredjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #215
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I found that photo that I had lost

Oops! Thought I'd found that lost photo----guess not

Wesley----looking forward to your further reports.

Deseret Rider screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 11:21 PM
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #216
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
Oops! Thought I'd found that lost photo----guess not

Wesley----looking forward to your further reports.
I am back from work (currently at work on x-mas day) in one week so will blog alot then as time is flying for me and not long until i start my next bike trip in April so between work/work course's exams, sorting my bike out for my next trip & catching up with friends in and out of the UK on my down time from work i am pretty busy however once i am back in a week i will have a few days spare (was planning to head away out the UK once i am back from work but got to hang around for a speed awareness course for doing 34mph in a 30mph zone) i can commit to put alot down on this ride report instead of small sections at a time as i have been doing

I never took a good camera with me so my pictures and few videos i have are not great as i never planned for a ride report but for my next trip i will take a good camera and i am also thinking of getting one of them quadcopters to mount a go pro on for aerial photos/videos as they look pretty cool

Well there is another guys blog on here with great photos and 3 video links, i like his Caucasus video the most http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942792

Happy Christmas to all

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 02:17 AM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #217
Boarder06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Hey Wesley,
Finally caught up on ADVRider over Christmas. It's been fun reading your report. It helped to motivate me to start writing up my on report. I can't believe we never bumped into each other. Well, probably next year.
Cheers,
Boarder
Old 12-26-2013, 03:10 AM   #218
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder06 View Post
Hey Wesley,
Finally caught up on ADVRider over Christmas. It's been fun reading your report. It helped to motivate me to start writing up my on report. I can't believe we never bumped into each other. Well, probably next year.
Cheers,
Boarder
Yes i left my DRZ400 (first bike first love) also in KGZ so my plan next year is to ride my other DRZ470 (i am currently building in the UK) from UK on one trip then leave it somewhere and fly back to KGZ to pick my other DRZ400 from this trip to carry on some more and then leave that somewhere eles and then fly back to pick my DRZ470 up to carry on where i left off.

Yes i am confused also just reading the above but sure it will all work out

Maybe meet you next year

Here is the link to Yeuop the Polish guys blog i told you about on facebook who we both meet on our trips

central Asia 2013 (low budget mode)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901392

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 03:17 AM
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 AM   #219
Boarder06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
Yes i left my DRZ400 (first bike first love) also in KGZ so my plan next year is to ride my other DRZ470 (i am currently building in the UK) from UK on one trip then leave it somewhere and fly back to KGZ to pick my other DRZ400 from this trip to carry on some more and then leave that somewhere eles and then fly back to pick my DRZ470 up to carry on where i left off.
Yes i am confused also just reading the above but sure it will all work out
Makes perfect sense to me

Quote:
Maybe meet you next year
Sure hope so

Quote:
Here is the link to Yeuop the Polish guys blog i told you about on facebook who we both meet on our trips

central Asia 2013 (low budget mode)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901392
Yes, I found that a few days ago. Great read as well. So many different ways of doing these trips and most of us seem to have fun.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #220
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So i headed off with my map marked up the the by the older Ukrainian man who was wearing military style clothing and the younger Ukrainian guy on the back of my bike to the dead end he pointed to on the map somewhere in the Carpathian Mountains as darkness fell not knowing where we was going and why.....

Welll it turned out the dead end was just a short cut to where this young Ukrainian man lived and i was to stay at his house for the night

Hi lived with his brother and brothers wife and also a older lady who was his gradmother, the house was a nice oldstyle house and felt very homely. We could not talk in each others language but we could communicate well never the less and the night was spent looking at there photo albums me trying to learn Ukrainian (in Ukraine the West manily speak native Ukrainian as first language but in the east later i found out they mainly speak Russian as first language and Ukrainian second, someone told me in the East it was banned from all cinemas from showing films in Russian language but had to show in Ukrainian so in that town i stayed in they said no one went due to this change as the cinema closed down)

I had some great Ukraine soup and also they gave me chocolate and coffee and in the morning my young Ukraine (Sasha) freind/ guide would show me around the area he lived..................

Outside his house the next morning, this is me with Sasha's older brother

Traditional style cooker

So after this we went around the area he lived and he took me to a area that had soldiers at a gate and after he talked to them they let us in and we both rode around this area he wanted to show me........ i think he said (with hand signals and a few words he knew or i though i understood) it was the Ukrainian winter olympic team training ground but not sure but any way we rode round and he showed me all the sites/views..

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 10:03 AM
Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #221
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So around after he showed me the area he lived he took me to a petrol station and his brother followed in his car as he was to head off back to his home and i was to carry on my trip with no real plan of where to go just knowing i will head East as thats the direction to Tajikiistan.................

Me and Sasha

I always try take small parths i see and offroad routes

I always stop to talk to locals, my ex girlfriend for around 7 years is Russian and she warned me about Ukraine saying " Westly (How she says Wesley) if you go to Ukraine you will never get anywhere as the Ukraine people are just like you they love to talk all day"

I think she was right

No fixed route no hotel booked for the night or no plans to stay anywhere, no GPS way points or a GPS telling me where to go (as it deleted the memory card i was just using it on compass mode now, Garman Montana 650 a expensive compass) just me and the Sputnik Explorer making our way to Tajikistan

So i stopped in a small town for food and water and meet another biker who wanted to take me to the best place he said to get water

I followed him to the best place to get water from, he was a nice guy

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 01:25 AM
Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #222
KTM Deano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Another top post Wesley Can't wait to get to Ukraine myself next May. Thanks for sharing thees experiences with us.
KTM Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #223
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So i then stayed in a hotel i found on route and at night looked at the map and thought i would go to Romania or Moldova of maybe both as its kind of on my way, i always could not sleep much at night as i was quit excited about riding my bike (like a kid at christmas eve waiting to open his present but for me the present would be the views i would be seeing and the great people i would be meeting) in the moring and what i will see and who i will meet, most nights i only got around 5-6 hours sleep.

So i set of early for a great ride and great views and made my way to this place as i decided the new plan of the hour would be to cross into Romania as suggested back in poland by the guys who changed my oil for me

On my way i got very lost as is the down side with not using a GPS in large towns or citys so i pulled into a road side cafe to ask for directions and the guy inside got the owner who asked if that was my bike and if i rode from the UK to here, i told he yes and he asked where i was going what plans i have and i replied just making my way to Tajikistan.... he turn around to the guy working and after speaking to him in Ukrianian the guy working said i must stay for food and drink and its all free for me as i am a guest in this country, the Ukriane people are real friendly and this was my first non EU country i visited on my bike and it is one of my favorite countrys i have been to. i am planning to spend more time in Ukraine on another bike trip as it has great views and very friendly people.

After food i asked for directions in which he made a small map on a post-it note for me, this is how i rolled now stopping asking for directions when needed and loclas would sometimes draw maps for me

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 12-29-2013 at 10:45 AM
Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #224
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Deano View Post
Another top post Wesley Can't wait to get to Ukraine myself next May. Thanks for sharing thees experiences with us.
Hey Deano i highly recommend visiting Ukraine and the Carpathian Mountains, its a great trip with great views and very friendly people. shame i did not stay to long on this trip but thats because its Tajikistan or Bust so really i am just passing these areas alittle to get to Tajikistan however next trips i will spend alot more time there and also travel more slowly
Old 12-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #225
KTM Deano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks Wesley. I will be coming on from Bulgaria (south west), so probably heading to Odessa first where I have a friend. Plans are not fully sorted yet but I'm hoping to make this trip an annual thing.
KTM Deano is offline   Reply With Quote