Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2014, 03:16 AM   #241
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Site will not let me multi quote so will just copy paste to replys, Also Happy New Year to all!!!

CosmicWally

ADV Definition

I think this says it all...No fixed route no hotel booked for the night or no plans to stay anywhere, no GPS way points or a GPS telling me where to go (as it deleted the memory card i was just using it on compass mode now, Garman Montana 650 a expensive compass) just me and the Sputnik Explorer making our way to Tajikistan...Wes, thank you for dragging us along!

Hi CosmicWally, yes for me the trip really started once i stopped using the GPS as it then seemed more a adventure rather than a ride. i know people like Terry was using maps on motorbike trips long before i was even born (hope that does not make you sound to old Terry) but for me i felt when you stop and are looking at your GPS or stop and look at your map people approach you more when looking at a map and offer directions and then from there conversations also start, my trip was about meeting people from all different countries and cultures so i think using a map is a good start (also i think i am alittle old school) . At first the bike was just a tool to travel but later i knew i am now a biker also

I loved the feeling of not knowing where i was going to sleep or eat and with the Garmin 650 before it deleted its self you could just press a button and it would tell you where the nearest hotel or place to get food ect ect which i feel was taking me to tourist or consumer areas and to be truthful i did not love the first part of my travels using a GPS and i grew to hate and resent it just looking at this screen telling me how long or far to were i then planned to go but with a map & compass you just head off where you feel and it always works out. also i never liked planning at all its just what i like doing and will carry on this method of travel.....

Tee Bee
The expensive compass now has a new home...........

I really loved not using it so much and all the chance meetings i made from getting lost and asking directions from people which i then made friends with and lead to me having a great trip and last year was prob one of the best years of my life i really just wanted to offload my nemis the 650T

Tee Bee
I know what your saying mate. I first bought a gps ,because i couldn,t see the map ,without stopping to put my glasses on..........

Well i hope/want/dream to be riding/traveling as long as you have been Terry so if thats possible then using a GPS by then is not a bad
by-product and i will embrace it, but for the next 20 or so years its map and compass

Prutser
That compass showed us some strange tracks this summer….

I also plan to be riding around these areas next year Prutser, have you put any pictures up on here?

Elron
Wesley, your a man after my own heart. This is one damn fine RR. Been following since nearly the beginning. As entertaining as anything I've read in a long time.

Happy New Year!

Thanks for reading it Elron and glad you are enjoying it, sorry for not being able to blog to often but i will try blog alot over the next week
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:28 AM   #242
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
I didn't post pictures of last years trip Wesley. But I could send you some if you like,or you could ask our tour guide about it.
There are lots of great people to meet out there.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #243
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ukraine to Romania

So i started heading East and then South towards Romania but again i got real lost as i diverted onto small roads and once i got back on the main road again i went to refuel at a petrol station and whilst i was there i saw a Dacia 4x4 with Moldavian plates on, i asked the driver for directions as i had actually gone back on myself quit some way he said he was also heading pass the way i need to turn off so i asked if i could follow him for awhile until i find my way again he said its fine and he actually pass's the road i need to turn off on so once there he will pull in to show me.

Well on the small bending roads the Sputnik Explorer is King compared to the others cars that are being held up by the slower trucks but this guy was the most craziest driver i had seen so far on my trip he was driving like a rally driver and i really struggle to keep up and i lost him a good few times.

I was sure this guy had driven this route before so he would be aware of any speed traps as this guy did not stick to any speed limits,,,,, well then at one straight a police man stood in the middle of the road holding what looked like a speed gun and pointed to pull over so he pulled over, i just slowed right down and then rode pass the police officer like nothing had happened and then he also pointed for me to pull over so i pulled in a good 20 meters in-front of the Moldavian 4x4 looking over my shoulder thinking the worsts as this police officer might not except a "fine" as my Ukrainian friend i worked with warned me about speeding and he said in some areas you can pay a "fine" but if you get the wrong guy and were going to fast then you could have real problems

After a few minutes the Moldovan guy pulled out and carried on driving and i looked back at the police officer and he just walked away so i pulled out and carried on following the moldovian 4x4 not sure what just happened, well once he stopped to show me the turn off i needed he told me his car is on Moldovan diplomatic plates as he is a diplomat in Chisinau so he only stopped out of courtesy and the police officer thought we was traveling together so he let me off also so looks like i got off on under his shadow as he pulled the diplomatic immunity card

He then told me he is buying a classic kick-start XT600 as he is also into bikes and then asked where i plan to travel to so i told him as i always do i am heading to Tajikistan and he said would it not be easier or safer just to fly there

He then gave me his phone number to call him if i head towards Chisinau (capital of Moldova) as he will advise places i should see in Moldova and also he is friends with people in the British Embassy and we should go of for dinner when i get there, looks like riding a DRZ you get to rub shoulders with diplomat's

So anyway I headed to Romanian and left Ukraine

Romanian National Flag

Enter Romania!!!

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 05:38 PM
Old 01-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #244
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Romania

So as soon as i entered Romania i brought a map and decided to make my way to the Romania Carpathians

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 04:13 PM
Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #245
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I soon found some smaller tracks

Old 01-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #246
KTM Deano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Wesley what are you using to take the still images from your helmet? Is it a Go Pro using a time lapse or something similar?
KTM Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #247
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Deano View Post
Wesley what are you using to take the still images from your helmet? Is it a Go Pro using a time lapse or something similar?
Ghost HD Drift but to be fair Deano it was all last minute leaving England so i never read the instruction and took me ages to figure out how to set up the remote button that you see on my left handlebar with my thumb on.

Also at first never set it up right to take good pictures hence alittle dodgy,its a ok camera but Go-Pro is better i think

Old 01-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #248
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I then got back on the road and saw this gentleman pass me a few times so i decided to follow him for awhile

Well he stopped and i pulled up next to him and asked if he is heading up to the hills as it such a lovely day i wanted to venture up, he seemed such a fine gentleman however his English was not great and i cant speak a word of Romanian so with hand gestures he encouraged me to push on alittle more down the road with him which i did

Down the the road we meet his brother and the rest of his family, his brother Lukas spoke good English and he said i really need off-road tires to go up the hills but i said i would be fine but asked if i could leave all my bags with him whilst we headed off.

He said off course i may but asked why i trust him with my side bags and other bits and i told him i am alone rider so i need to trust people and he smiled

So i headed up the hills in such fine weather with such fine company, my new Romanian friend

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 05:20 PM
Old 01-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #249
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

However......... there is always a however

I came off numerous times as i had no real off-road riding experience, i did plan to do a course in wales before i left the UK but as i failed my bike test twice and only just passed just before i set off i did not have time to do a off-road course or practice and was making big mistakes like not engine braking on the down hill parts and also holding my breaks in which caused my wheels to lock up and the bike to skid downhill which caused me to fall off many times over, i think in all i come off 10+ times this day and lost my Romanian guide numerous times as he had to come back for me, it was not until Georgia until i met Terry did i get any advice on how to ride off-road.

I am a quick learner and i know to you guys who ride alot it sounds simple but for someone who only a few weeks passed his bike test and with less than 100 miles set off on such a trip with no guidance i learnt the hard way but some times the hard way is the fun way right

Well this clip shows how poor i was riding and at the end i drop the bike gently compared to my other falls i had

Old 01-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #250
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,384

At 1:20 in the video, I was literally saying out loud, oh, oh, oh
and then ,

Your report is so good. I trust your okay?

Quote:
He said off course i may but asked why i trust him with my side bags and other bits and i told him i am alone rider so i need to trust people and he smiled

So i headed up the hills in such fine weather with such fine company, my new Romanian friend
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #251
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,252
Keep dem revs up!!

What tires are you running again?

Loving the RR!! Thanks for the updates! Even the :mutt "If you aren't falling, you aren't learning" I aways say...

Cheers! And Happy New Year.

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #252
macarron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
That clip shows how brave you are, Wesley. Offroading in the Carpathians can't be easy for a novice rider.

Following your report from the first day.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #253
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee bee View Post
I know what your saying mate. I first bought a gps ,because i couldn,t see the map ,without stopping to put my glasses on..........
Oh god that's sooooooooooooo true
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #254
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 732
To me this photo looks like the 'essence' of your trip

Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #255
Sroz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Man your style is great! I'm loving the way you roll, along the road, down a track, down a hill without your bike gem!
Sroz is offline   Reply With Quote