User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #316
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quick change of plan..... I am heading South

So once i crossed into Russia i stopped to buy insurance in the small huts just passed the border and the women who was working made me a coffee whilst she filled out all the paper work and also let me use her computer to check some routes.

Shortly into my ride i stopped at a signpost which said Volgograd so many KM's East and Rostov-on-Don so many KM's South.

I am not sure why but something inside me was telling me to head South?

I had a feeling i must head South so i followed this feeling and went South towards Rostov-on-Don

I had a Kazakstan visa which if i did not make the dates would run out so i should of pushed on East on the route i planned (Volgograd to Saratov to cross into Kazakhstan then to Kyrgyzstan & then to Tajikistan) but all my plans just changed.

This is a important part of my trip as this quick few seconds decision would put me 5 weeks behind my planned arrival in Tajikistan which becomes important later on in this blog, but you will have to stick around to see why
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #317
azbnd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thumb Excellent!

Great RR! Keep it coming.
azbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #318
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Russia: Krasnodar

On my way South i stopped to ask directions, this women has a baby boy the same age as my sisters baby boy which made me think of home a little as when i went back to England for 10 days i went straight from London airport to the helicopter airport on the East coast of England to head offshore and straight to work and when i got back from work i headed straight back out to London to catch a flight back to Ukraine so i never saw my family, previous to this trip as i stated i was working/living in Australia for 1.5 years so i had limited time with my family in the last few years, i think my family understand my life style. My sister once said to me i am like a shark, if i stop moving i will die

So i passed Rostov-on-Don and then headed to Krasnodar in which i arrived at around 1pm i saw two guys on a moped who i spoke to for awhile, one guy was from Uzbekistan and the other was a local and they said i should follow them so i did.

So it turns out the local guys birthday was 5 days ago and the drinking celebrations are still ongoing so i was to join in, as you can see from this blog alot of people offer me drinks and i am to polite to refuse as i don't want to offend. i may look like a alcoholic but in my own life back in the UK i rarely drink alcohol.

So then his young son came in the room with a laptop and with google translate told me i am the first tourist/ foreign person he has ever seen and i think he asked his father "can we keep him"

So then his father typed on the computer that i am to stay for 1 week and i typed back i cant and after deep negotiations we got it down to 2 days.

Well in the morning he even took my bike keys so i could not leave

So his wife took all my clothes to wash and the boys father gave me clean cloths to wear and for 2 days i lived with this family.

So i settled in well helping out and they showed me around the area they lived

So after my 2 days of being under house arrest was up i was finally allowed to leave

They gave me a map and planned my route as i decided i would head to Sochi and then to Georgia and from Georgia i would try get a Azerbaijan visa to catch the ferry at Baku across the Caspian sea to Kazakhstan...... well i told my self i would do this anyway

So i head to Sochi, i forgot to mention i was using a old USSR map book that Tatjana's father in Ukraine gave me

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 07:15 AM
Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #319
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,982
Man, these are some awesome updates Wesley Thanks again for the advice on the side
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #320
Mehaniotis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
You are truly a free spirit.
Forgive me for ever doubting you.
If I could, I would vote your R/R as a six star......
Be safe always.
Mehaniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #321
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Man, you do get around, don't you? A bit of a holiday and you're off to the Pamir's on a pushbike! Crikey! Great update! Your ability to very quickly make friends despite language barriers is beyond impressive.
Thanks Blader54

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian View Post
very cool write up, looked thru every page, keep up te good work.
Cheers glad you like it, as you can see my blog is more about the people i meet who made this trip what it is for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Man, these are some awesome updates Wesley Thanks again for the advice on the side
Anytime and if anyone wants any advice with regards to this trip just PM and i will try reply, i am trying to smash out alot on this blog this weekend as soon i am at work for 1 week and then i am away on "holiday" again for about 20 days so will not be able to blog
Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #322
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
GREAT STUFF WES Looking forward to getting over there myself even more now.
Phil
Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #323
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehaniotis View Post
You are truly a free spirit.
Forgive me for ever doubting you.
If I could, I would vote your R/R as a six star......
Be safe always.
Thanks Mehaniotis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILinFRANCE View Post
GREAT STUFF WES Looking forward to getting over there myself even more now.
Phil
Old 01-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #324
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:
You dont need to speak the same language to communicate with people
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #325
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,308
Awesome updates!!

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #326
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Russia: From Krasnodar to Sochi

So i headed South to Sochi and it was real bendy roads with heavy traffic as a lot of ongoing construction due to the winter Olympics which are to be held next month it took along time.

I stopped to get a drink at a shop and when i came back a Russian man who spoke English with a American accent was standing next to my bike with his friend and his car was a top of the range porsche 4x4, anyway we started speaking.

He told me he lived in America for a long time (hence the American accent, however he was Russian) as he worked for Goldman Sachs as a investment banking but now works in Moscow

He asked where i was going to and i said i will head to Georgia, and he told me i must head along the black sea route to Sochi and then follow the coast crossing into Sukhumi Georgia (Well on google maps it says its Georgia but more on that later)

He said what ever i do i must not head into the Caucasus region as i could have problems and if i have a mother i should think of her ?!?!?!

I think he has watched to many Hollywood movies for his own good but anyway i took the advice he said and headed South with the plan to cross into Georgia where he told me to from Sochi to Sukhumi along the Black Sea...........

On my way to Sochi

Due to heavy traffic i never got anywhere fast and in this part of the world if you ride 2 wheels you are family so i would stop to talk to other bikers

The start of the amazing Caucasus's!!!!!

So it was dark by the time i got to Sochi

So as i was riding around i saw a group of bikers so decided i should park up next to them

I then met my good friend Chugunov who was from The Russian Republic of Tatarstan and and he decided i must stay with him.

I also made another good friend called Andrey, this 2 guys i still keep in touch with often and plan to catch up again soon. Chugunov and me have promised we will do a trip together so watch out for the ride report on that one one day

Old 01-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #327
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Sochi with my Tatar friend

So Chugunov was to show me around Sochi the next day which was real cool of him, as i said he is a great guy.

So Sochi

Outside his house

Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #328
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb A Sochi Bikers house or should i say a real mans house

Chugunov house, i loved it

Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #329
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Leaving Sochi

I loved Sochi not because of the city but because of the friends i made, it was time to move on and in the morning i was ready to roll out and my friends asked me where to next and i said to Sukhumi Georgia............

Andray & Chugunov said "you mean Sukhumi in Abkhazia right"

Abkhazia what is this ?

Turns out google maps lied to me as between Sochi and Georgia is a country called Abkhazia in which i dont have a visa for

So i said to them i will just head to The Republic of North Ossetia–Alania then to cross into Georgia via the city of Vladikavkaz.

They said this might not be a good idea and would rather i take another route like the ferry from Sochi to Turkey.

Planes, Helicopters, cars, motorbikes & pushbikes i am fine with but i am not one for boats so i decided i would head to North Ossetia–Alania located in the center of the Caucasus's.

We said are goodbyes and i headed off with no fixed plan just knowing i was heading to North Ossetia–Alania
Old 01-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #330
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Russian Caucasus: The Republic of Adygea

The national flag of the Republic of Adygea

After leaving Sochi it was some gravel roads and i slowly made my was to a city called Maykop which is the capital city of the Republic of Adygea.

I stopped as i was tired and with in seconds a man in his car stopped next to me and asked what i wanted or if i need any help.

I asked him if he knew a hotel and he told me to follow him so did.

We got to a hotel but they would not let me keep my bike in the back garden as building work was going on so he said i could leave my bike at his fathers house as he has a garage and he would drive me back to the hotel in his car and then he would pick me up in the morning and take me back to my bike.

I only just met this man and to be driving somewhere i don't know to leave my bike and then get taken back to a hotel for him to come and get me in the morning to take me back to my bike,,, well why not

So i followed him back however he had called his father whilst i was following on my bike and i was not to stay at a hotel but i was to be there guest, this is the Caucasus's which i was soon to find are very friendly and welcoming to visitors or guests.

Once back at his house his father greeted me and said to his son "you said this man was from England, he looks like a black like one of us"

His son explained to me that the Russians call the Caucasus's people blacks due to there black hair dark eyes and beards and he said i also have Kavkas (Caucasus) looking facial features

So my friendly and welcoming hosts from the Republic of Adygea

I was then told i am to stay at there house as they are Caucasus's people there home is my home this is what the Caucasus's people due for there guests

The front gates in the style of the Republic of Adygea flag

Aslan the father of the house hold

My bike was parked up

I was taken to the shower room and all my dirty clothes were to be washed even though i said i am fine they insisted

When i got out the shower food was waiting on the table for me, the people of the Caucasus's really are great friendly people

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 11:26 AM