ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #406
joenuclear
Planning.....
 
joenuclear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 6,298
Thank you!
__________________
2007 BMW GSA for sale.
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #407
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WesleyDRZ400's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Thank you!
Thank you for reading this blog, i never set out to make a blog however a couple of months after i finished this trip i decided i would to show others how friendly all the people i would meet were to me , maybe as a kind of thank you to them and also to educate others about these areas who have never been what it is like


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup man View Post
This is absolutely outstanding. Im learning so much from this RR. I cant wrap my head around the hospitality and generosity of these people in and around the caucasus region. Also, its a real eye opener to see that Grozny isnt a worn torn sheit hole like most here in the west think. I expected to see something that resembles more like inner city Detroit or Harlem. I cant wait to read more of this. Cpaciba balshoi !!
Yes according to the United Nations In 2003 Grozny was the most destroyed city on earth, then by 2009 Grozny was honored by the UN Human Settlements Program for transforming the war scarred city and providing new homes for thousands

Photo of Grozny taken of Google during the troubles there


And here is a video i found on YouTube to show you how it is today, its come a very long way and is as very nice City
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #408
Red Herring
Gnarly Commuter
 
Red Herring's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Victopia BC
Oddometer: 142
This is good stuff!
__________________
2012 DR650 With lotsa stuff.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #409
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WesleyDRZ400's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
This is good stuff!
Thank you however as Seb says

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-SEB-00 View Post
hahaha.... making a RR is almost more time consuming than the actual ride...
I agree, as i currently have this week off work as i am studying for a exam so during my study breaks I decided to put my free time here to finish this ride report but at the same time give it the full justice it deserves

Looks like i might fail that exam then
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #410
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WesleyDRZ400's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 282
So the next day after a good nights sleep in Georges grandmothers house he said he would take me to get what i need.

We both had sore heads as i said i am not a drinker but if i do drink i would rather drink vodka straight which is a clean drink than Tequila & red wine



Water was needed


So we set off in his car as i need a paper map of Georgia as i had no map and don't use GPS's

I also needed to find out about getting a Azerbaijan visa as i would need one to cross over to Kazakhstan by ferry as i no longer have a Russian visa due to it being single entry and it was now expired on exiting Russia



He also showed me the sites of the city and other not so tourist areas which he knew i liked





Well we got some supplies i needed however with regards to a Azabijan visa we had no luck but got told i should try Batumi the sea side coastal town located West of Georgia on the black sea

Well anyway it was back to Georges grandmothers house for food and also to discuss what i should do or see in Georgia
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #411
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WesleyDRZ400's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 282
Well George said i should spend more time in Tbilisi as i am young i should enjoy myself in the nightclubs that are in the city as there are many other tourist i would meet and i am welcome to stay at his as long as i like.

I thanked George very much for his offer but told him this trip was not about visiting nightclubs or acting like a tourist with other tourists but it was about meeting people, i told George this is my reason of the trip

George looked at me with a big smile and said "there's many people in the nightclubs"

I then explained i want to head to small remote villages, areas that are unspoiled by the western consumer lifestyle and are natural in beauty where real people live that have time for you, people that are not caught up in the fast pace of this capitalist world which we now live in if there is such as place left?

George was then quite in deep thought he then sat forward with his hands on his knees and said "Wesley i know just the place you are looking for"

I was all ears listening on his every word

He said he knew of a place high up in the Georgian Caucasus mountains which could not be reached by car however maybe by motorbike if i was determined enough it was possible

It was up a Gorge, high up passed a Gorge called Pankisi Gorge adjacent to the Chechen border.

He told me there are people called Kists which are from Chechnya but came to Georgia many years ago and i should pass the Kists peoples village and head deeper in the Gorge and i would come across villages of the few remaining Chechen refugees that crossed over from Chechnya during the conflict and settled in the remote upper part of this Gorge and even had no electricity as they were basically totally cut off from the outside world...........

He told me this is the most remote place he knew of in Georgia and sat back shaking his head and said im crazy, why would i want to go visit such a remote place on my own but that he also understood me

He then gave me his mobile number and said if i have any problems at all i should call him and he will come to me in his car if my bike was to break down in any remote areas.

He then marked the route on my paper map and then took me back to his mothers house in Tbilisi as i was to prepare the Sputnik Explorer so she was ready to roll out of Tbilisi first thing in the morning as we were heading to the mountains!

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 10:21 PM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #412
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
Well George said i should spend more time in Tbilisi as i am young i should enjoy myself in the nightclubs that are in the city as there are many other tourist i would meet and i am welcome to stay at his as long as i like.

I thanked George very much for his offer but told him this trip was not about visiting nightclubs or acting like a tourist with other tourists but it was about meeting people, i told George this is my reason of the trip

George looked at me with a big smile and said "there's many people in the nightclubs"

I then explained i want to head to small remote villages, areas that are unspoiled by the western consumer lifestyle and are natural in beauty where real people live that have time for you, people that are not caught up in the fast pace of this capitalist world which we now live in if there is such as place left?

George was then quite in deep thought he then sat forward with his hands on his knees and said "Wesley i know just the place you are looking for"

I was all ears listening on his every word

He said he knew of a place high up in the Georgian Caucasus mountains which could not be reached by car however maybe by motorbike if i was determined enough it was possible

It was up a Gorge, high up passed a Gorge called Pankisi Gorge adjacent to the Chechen border.

He told me there are people called Kists which are from Chechnya but came to Georgia many years ago and i should pass the Kists peoples village and head deeper in the Gorge and i would come across villages of the few remaining Chechen refugees that crossed over from Chechnya during the conflict and settled in the remote upper part of this Gorge and even had no electricity as they were basically totally cut off from the outside world...........

He told me this is the most remote place he knew of in Georgia and sat back shaking his head and said im crazy, why would i want to go visit such a remote place on my own but that he also understood me

He then gave me his mobile number and said if i have any problems at all i should call him and he will come to me in his car if my bike was to break down in any remote areas.

He then marked the route on my paper map and then took me back to his mothers house in Tbilisi as i was to prepare the Sputnik Explorer so she was ready to roll out of Tbilisi first thing in the morning as we were heading to the mountains!
Something tells me you'll need it, but it won't work in the mountains

Wesley, you're my hero. Really.
__________________
2015 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2008 Yamaha WR250R, 1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 AM   #413
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WesleyDRZ400's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Something tells me you'll need it, but it won't work in the mountains

Wesley, you're my hero. Really.
You sound like a guy who has tried to get a phone signal whilst in the mountains

Anyway the DRZ is a solid bike which i have complete trust and faith in starting up every time without fail when i hit the red button

she did start to get some slight problems later on in this trip but i put it down to my slight neglect of her maintenance wise

A quick funny story much later on in this blog when i was in the town of Murghab in the Pamirs of Tajikistan i met a group of bikers from Malaysia who i would say are professional motorbikes kitted out with the best gear money could buy.



They were on a epic world trip and were really friendly people, one of them told me there trip was sponsored by the president of Malaysia to promote Malaysia in all the other countries they visited, they even had a back up 4x4 vehicle as he was making a TV documentary for them

Well anyway in the morning i stood outside trying to wake up with my cup off coffee in my hand and sleepy dust still in my eyes and i saw one guy carrying out all checks to the tires, to the chain, and all other parts to his bike.

Another man took his bike for alittle warm up ride and checked some other parts of it on his return



I looked at them then whilst i was staring into the bottom of my cup of coffee understanding it is not going to fill its self up i went to walk away so i could go get another cup and as i went to walk away one of the Malaysian men in the group ask what daily morning checks i do on my bike in the morning?

I turned around to him and with a smile on my face i told him i just did it, as my daily morning check only consist of checking its still there after i have woken up................ its a DRZ, one of the finest engineering masterpieces ever made

WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #414
yeuop
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
my daily morning check only consist of checking its still there after i have woken up................


ps: I wanted to go to Magadan this year but it seems I will not, so maybe next year ;-)
yeuop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #415
hardwaregrrl
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 7,474
Nice write ups Wesley!!! Thanks again.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #416
Boarder06
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Boarder06's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeuop View Post


ps: I wanted to go to Magadan this year but it seems I will not, so maybe next year ;-)
I'm on the fence on that as well. I need to do some serious planning soon.
__________________
Ride Reports: Germany to Iran | Eastbound, to the Stans
Boarder06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #417
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WesleyDRZ400's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 282
So i set off from Tbilisi first thing the next day after thanking George for his help and kindness he had given me.

Before i set off i checked my messages and had a facebook message from my Sochi friends telling me i had left my cycle hand pump at there house so i would need to get one

I soon found a shop that sold foot pumps on my way out of Tbilisi so i purchased one and the kind gentleman even gave me a free cup of coffee

I have never change a tire on a motorbike in my life even up until today however i felt i needed a air pump just in case so felt happy i now hand a air foot pump

So after some time i keep getting lost as it was hard to find the way out as i somehow was turning back towards Tibiils as the map i had was not great so in the end i just followed my compass bearing at road junctions.

I put my earphones in to listen to my music and then just rode for a couple of hours in screensaver mode and riding a motorbike was now as natural as breathing for me

Well i then needed fuel so i stopped at a petrol station but as i like to talk i started talking to the workers there and soon a quick stop turned into drinking tea, eating cakes followed by numerous refills of tea (which was all free as they would not take no money of me , i only paid for the petrol) and just general chit chat......... Georgians are very friendly people








It turns out i am near a town called Gori heading in the wrong direction as i should be going East and not West.

Anyway after saying goodbye to the guys at the petrol station i set off heading East

Soon i was getting onto more smaller and smaller roads






Sometimes i stopped to ask for directions when i got lost or also just stopped to speak to people i passed



I loved every minute of it!!!!!

















I headed more and more towards to Kavkaz mountains of Georgia






WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 06:30 PM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #418
trevhead
Adventurer
 
trevhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 47
trevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #419
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WesleyDRZ400's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 282
So i carried on passing a couple of small towns and then started to make my way to the Kists (Vainakhs) peoples village which is located passed the town of Akhmeta

The Kist (Vainakhs) people's origins can be traced back to their ancestral land of Chechnya but since around the 1800's they migrated to the Pankisi Gorge



















I then came to a very small village and stopped to ask for directions as i was alittle lost and also i saw no one on the roads on any cars so also wanted to ask how far i was from the next village



The man was very friendly and pointed up the road and said Chechnya, i later would find out that the Georgians refer to this part of Georgia as Chechnya even though it is geographically part of Georgia due to the Kist people's origins being from Chechnya and also as the main language in the villages is Chechen however when i passed the Kist villages i later found out that the only language in the villages right down Pankisi Gorge is Chechen and no one spoke Russian at all as at least with Russian i cant understand some words and also speak enough to get me by along with hand gestures

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 03:05 AM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #420
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WesleyDRZ400's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeuop View Post


ps: I wanted to go to Magadan this year but it seems I will not, so maybe next year ;-)
I will look forward to reading your ride report on it Yeuop, when i was dreaming of traveling on a motorbike before i started this trip i looked over your ride reports and when i saw you and your purple Yam XT heading towards me on that road in Kyrgyzstan i knew who you was before we stopped and talked

Your ride reports along with the many others and the videos i watched about motorbike travel on youtube in my spare time whilst living and working in Australia inspired me so much that instead of saying i would do this later i decided i would do it now, hence i jacked my job in instantly when i realized life is for living to do what makes you happy and not what others think you should do, i realized its time to start doing not saying so i and caught the next flight home to England to do my motorbike test and start living how i want to in a way that makes me happy.........travel & now my new found love riding motorbikes

My friends in Australia said i was crazy as i had a very good paid job and very good career prospects in the booming Australia oil/gas sector........ however for me i have never regretted it and never looked back and that split decision was the best decision i made last year





However Yeuop my Polish friend have you never read Mr Colebatch's blogs and took on-board the advice he gives about how to pack a motorcycle!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Nice write ups Wesley!!! Thanks again.
I appreciate your comment, Thanks for liking it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder06 View Post
I'm on the fence on that as well. I neaed to do some serious planning soon.
For me she does the planning now

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 06:37 PM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015