WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #422
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder06 View Post
Well, about time mate. What took you so long
Well it seems not as busy as you have been so now i understand why you are so behind on your ride report))))))))

Congratulations by the way

Hopefully we will bump into each other at some point as you could then give me a hand to try and calibrate the flux capacitor i fitted to my bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Damn. I want to ride my bike across Eastern Europe.

Just picked up this thread. Loving it.
Some of the best months of my life so far..........
Old 03-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #423
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So we then headed off to Grozny the capital city of Chechnya

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 11:04 AM
Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #424
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Republic of Chechnya Flag

Grozny City Sign

It was a pretty hot day, to be fair i was real lucky with the weather i was having for my trip as it was always near perfect with only a few days that you could count on one hand with that i had rain, that's all the way from England to Tajikistan...............

Maga got some spring water which is local to this area which was much needed in this weather, he would not let me pay for anything as i was his guest, to be fair for the whole time i was in the Caucasus's from Sochi to Grozny everyone refused to let me pay for anything as they said i was there guest.

Well actually this was the case for my whole time in Russia since leaving Ukraine which was 9 days in all, Russians are some of the most hospitable people you will ever meet............

Well to be fair if you have been reading this ride report from the beginning then you could also say the same about Poland, Ukraine, Romania, Moldova, The Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic (PMR) as well.

This kindness from totally strangers would carry on all the way to Tajikistan which made my first every motorbike trip totally amazing

People have asked me many times if i got lonely whilst traveling on my own but as you can see i was very rarely alone as to me being a lone traveler, strangers are just friends you have not met

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 12:22 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #425
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So after the rest stop we headed to the center of Grozny City to meet Maga's friend

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 12:34 PM
Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #426
yeuop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Haha, very nice to see Grozny (what a magical place i must say!) and some other places i have also been to ;-)

"strangers are just friends you have not met" - fantastic!
cheers

PS: what are your plans for this year?
yeuop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #427
Boarder06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Thanks but don't get your hopes up. Still working on my own flux capacitor

I guess we both had really good excuses for being behind in the ride reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
Well it seems not as busy as you have been so now i understand why you are so behind on your ride report))))))))

Congratulations by the way

Hopefully we will bump into each other at some point as you could then give me a hand to try and calibrate the flux capacitor i fitted to my bike

Some of the best months of my life so far..........
Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 AM   #428
00-SEB-00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
hahaha.... making a RR is almost more time consuming than the actual ride...
Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #429
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeuop View Post
Haha, very nice to see Grozny (what a magical place i must say!) and some other places i have also been to ;-)

"strangers are just friends you have not met" - fantastic!
cheers

PS: what are your plans for this year?
Central Asia mostly

And your plans......?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-SEB-00 View Post
hahaha.... making a RR is almost more time consuming than the actual ride...
Agree!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #430
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So me and Maga went to meet his friend and as we waited some local children were interested and curious in the bike and my clothing, i would of been just the same when i was younger so i gave him my helmet and gloves to wear

As a child i have always wanted/dreamed to travel. i come from a working class family that only every had enough money to support its self and on a few occasions we had less than that. My family never had enough money or could financially afford to take time off work to go on a family holiday aboard outside of the United Kingdom, during the long 6 weeks summer holiday breaks from school each year many of my friends would go on holidays with there family to Europe, America and other such places and for me i would spend my summer holidays playing down the locals woods/forest building tree houses/den's or roaming the cliff tops along the local beach.

I remember the first time i left England to go to Wales on a school trip when i was about 12 years old which was about as much if not more an adventure to me back then as this amazing trip i was currently embarking on was

Anyway Maga's friend arrived and we then went to a local restaurant for dinner, he is a response medic and carries and hand gun for his own safety which also makes for a good photo

Maga's friend was as equally as friendly as himself and told me his friend was getting married the next day and said if i wanted i could come to the wedding which would of been amazing i am sure (one of my biggest regrets of the trip not going as i would of loved to see the traditional kavkaz Lezginka dancing) however by now i was getting a little worried as i was near to the maximum days permitted to be in Russia before you have to register which would cause a lot of problems if i had not done this in which i had not, basically i was on a one month visa but within so many days you must register your visa/passport at an official center and if you don't do this within the set amount of days you could get fined or temporally banned and as Russia is one (well one of many) of my favorite country's i would not want this. As i said i never planned to head to these areas and at first i was going to go from Ukraine to the Russian city of Volgograd then head to Kazakhstan but as i changed my mind last minute when i crossed over from Ukraine into Russia i decided to head to Georgia via the black sea route which i found out in Sochi was not possible as i did not have a visa for Abkhazia which is a country located between Russian and Georgia along the black sea however even if i did have a visa Georgia would not let you enter from Abkhazia hence why i ended up in North Ossetia as this was at the time the only land crossing into Georgia)))))))))))

This is traditional chechen soup with dried meat abit like South African biltong meat

Very tasty

Again they refused for me to pay for anything as i was there guest and after dinner we headed out to see the sites of Grozny but first Maga's friend write on my bike as since Berdyabsk in Ukraine when my bike got officially named Sputnik by the couple i was staying with this now become common practice wherever i traveled to

Grozny Chechnya Forever

So we headed off again but now with Maga's friend on the back of his bike

Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #431
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So we parked the bikes up to go see the sites of the city, in my home town in England if you left your motorbike helmet on your motorbike it would not be there when you got back. In Grozny this is not the case..........

First stop was to visit the famous Akhmad Kadyrov Mosque which was opened in 2008 by the Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov

After we walk outside and check the other sites out

Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #432
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,311
Enjoying your story of an area of the globe I am not familiar with, namely Eastern Europe and Central Asia. This report led me to spend most of this past Sunday studying those countries.

From the news lately, it seems there is a possible potential for a major "hot" war breaking out in Ukraine and surrounding areas. That must be troubling you in that you have made so many friends who may be forced to take sides in a conflict which is really the making of governments not the people?
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #433
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Enjoying your story of an area of the globe I am not familiar with, namely Eastern Europe and Central Asia. This report led me to spend most of this past Sunday studying those countries.

From the news lately, it seems there is a possible potential for a major "hot" war breaking out in Ukraine and surrounding areas. That must be troubling you in that you have made so many friends who may be forced to take sides in a conflict which is really the making of governments not the people?
Hi Merlin i am glad from reading this ride report you started studying these areas, I will look forward to reading your ride report when you go visit

For myself since this trip ended in my free time i enjoy studying the history and geography of the areas i have visited, at work during the 9am tea break i have become the font of all knowledge geographically within the people i work with

With regards to your other comment i see on my personal Facebook page status from a few of my friends in these areas regarding this situation as it has been unfolding and have friends on both sides of the fence so with regards to this current political / geopolitical situation ongoing in these areas i only hope for the best outcome on all sides for all the people.

Also with nothing to do with these events i learnt along time ago that how governments act does not represent the people they govern and people should not judge other people from different countries due to there governments actions, like myself i am British (I always say British not English even though i was born and live in England) but i do not agree with my governments current foreign policy and off course would not want to be judge on the actions my government makes by people i meet when i travel

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 12:15 PM
Old 03-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #434
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
So true, Wesley. I've been in places where the people disliked the American govt but really liked American people. I think the way you travel, being so open and so interested in the people you meet and their culture/history is one key, and the other, as you say, seems to be that folks to the east tend to be more generous and kind to strangers/guests.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #435
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So my short visit to Ingushetia & Chechnya was a totally unplanned part of my trip and was a real highlight of this whole motorbike adventure which i thank Maga for showing me

As i don't speak or understand (well i understand some not much) Russian myself and also after reading what micky mouse ( As i said before i now believe Micky Mouse must be running and writing the travel advice for the British Foreign travel office as it is either totally out of date or is totally wrong) said regarding travel information to Ingushtetia that it is "presently a war zone" as you can see its not this

I have never been to a war zone so would not know what one is or looks like however from my short visit to Ingushetia i can certainly say from what i saw (i understand maybe there are some slight problems) that it is no war zone and i think all people reading this blog would agree also

So now it was time to head back to Ingushetia so Maga showed the way

We passed my favorite type of drink (in yellow storage tank on the far right of this photo) which i had every time i went to Moscow as i mentioned previously in this blog, Irene (ex girl friend) said its called grass's or something like that its a non alcoholic type of beer which tastes great and in Ukraine i was drinking it a lot

Well Maga stopped a little bit later where we had a drink of this magical liquid which they stored in the yellow steel tanks with wheels

Fedor Emelianenko!!!!!

So we then arrived at Magas home in Ingushetia

Maga is a Kavkaz and as i said before this is how they greet there guest's

Well after dinner we talk for awhile and then Maga showed me his home which was very nice and i also met his family, he also told me about his other bike which is a YBR125 and these have a big following abit like a Honda C90 in the UK. He then showed me his workshop as he also repairs his bikes.

Here is a picture of the YBR and not YB (Corrected now Maga)

He to has been on motorbike trips to Ukraine and is also planning a trip this year to Kazakhstan.

Well time was getting late and he called Dima who was to meet me at the Ingushetia border point were i met Maga however Dima was alittle busy with work so another one of his friends was meeting me.

I then said my goodbyes to Maga and his family however later on in this trip i would surprise Maga with a return visit back to Ingushetia as plans always change for me as nothing in this trip was set in stone with regards to my route

Me and Maga's family

So Maga took me back to North Ossetia

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 01:20 PM