Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #481
Mendo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
This is for sure one of the best ride reports I have read. I woke up randomly at 3am last night not being able to sleep so went onto advrider and came across this thread. I read about half of it and then fell asleep and had a dream I was riding your DRZ through eastern Europe meeting all sorts of interesting people haha. This morning I finished the report and am so intrigued by how kind the people you have met along the way have been. I have had the same experience with the kindness of strangers on my travels in latin america and asia. The world is a incredible place to explore and you have inspired me to ride Europe now. Thank you!

Maui Dual Sport Rentals and Tours
www.mauidualsport.com
Mendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #482
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Back To Russia!!!

Russian National Flag

So i rode to the Russian border and there was long ques, i pulled into the side after getting waved passed by other cars.

I went inside the office to fill out custom papers but the only forms were in Russian, the office guard asked if i spoke Russian in which i replied "Nyet Pannie my Rusky" = no i don't speak Russian

The guard was real cool and filled out the papers for me and i sat next to him behind the desk whilst he filled them in.

I took my jacket off as it was hot and other motorbike stuff and had a wash in the toilets in his office in the sink as the blast up from Tbilisi was full on near Dakar spec riding

When i came back out there was a big Que of people standing in front of the desk, the guard pointed for me to fill some details out on a form as he spoke to the others so i went behind the desk and did this

He then had a phone call and the guys coming in was asking in Russian where the forms were to fill in and where the toilet is and so on.

I stood up behind the desk telling them in my broken Russian where the forms/papers were across the other side and where the toilet was and so on

When the guard got off the phone he turned to me with a smile and put his hat on my head as if to say i now work here

I started talking to another guy who was from Armenia and even today we message/email each other often and i looked forward to going to visit him in Armenia .

So i left the border checkpoint after all was cool and headed to buy Insurance about 2km down the road.

Whilst i was there i called my Ingushetia friend Maga, I met Maga a few weeks earlier so i told him i would be passing again

How i met Maga early on in this ride report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...934709&page=28

Me and Maga

He was surprised to hear i was back and passing through again so we arranged to meet at the North Ossetia to Ingushetia border post.

I gave my Russian map to some guy in a truck going the other way on my way into Georgia a few weeks before as i never planned to come back this way as i wanted to head to Azerbaijan to cross the ferry to Kazakhstan but this never happened

I got real lost and stopped to ask people directions and one family i met invited me to the back of there shop for chi tea which was pretty cool

So i made my way which was only a few miles across North Ossetia to Ingushetia border post where Maga would be waiting

The Republic of North Ossetia–Alania Flag with the Coat Of Arms

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 11:40 AM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #483
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
This is for sure one of the best ride reports I have read. I woke up randomly at 3am last night not being able to sleep so went onto advrider and came across this thread. I read about half of it and then fell asleep and had a dream I was riding your DRZ through eastern Europe meeting all sorts of interesting people haha. This morning I finished the report and am so intrigued by how kind the people you have met along the way have been. I have had the same experience with the kindness of strangers on my travels in latin america and asia. The world is a incredible place to explore and you have inspired me to ride Europe now. Thank you!
Thanks Mendo for your kind words, i myself read blogs on this site which inspired me to ride to these places just like you when i was living in Australia waking up randomly at 3am and so on i would then read blogs and also dream i was riding these route

It is the the kindness of strangers i met who made this trip what it is for me, one of the best experiences of my life...... actualy it was the best experience of my life

I also totally agree the world is a incredible place to explore and is the best education you can get in life

as you said "This morning I finished the report" well its not finished yet its just getting started
Old 05-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #484
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
as you said "This morning I finished the report" well its not finished yet its just getting started
That's what we like to hear. This is one of the best ride reports we've had in awhile, even if we have to wait a bit for updates.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #485
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup man View Post
Georgia is officially on my bucket list for places to visit on two wheels or not. Absolutely stunning scenery. Thanks again for writing this.
Yes it is a real amazing country and very friendly people that's for sure ,if you are a skiing/snowboarding person it is real cool for winter sports so i hear of others

Maybe just crack a winter ski trip if that's your thing if you are not going to ride a bike there but for sure whack it on the bucket list

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 11:42 AM
Old 05-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #486
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Short Stop In The Republic Of Ingushetia

The Republic of Ingushetia Flag

So back to the Republic Of Ingushetia

So after getting lost i found the border post which is like a road block/check point crossing with guards/soldiers in

I was not sure if i was in the right place and was looking confused when a guard called me across to the building

I had a international sim card in a unlocked phone but to be fair it never worked properly and when it did it was total hit or miss. the guard could see i was trying to make a call and passed me over his phone to use, Russians are real friendly people. Well i tried to call Maga but no answer so he must be on his way.

I got talking to the guards but they could not speak English and i could not speak Russian however i talked away anyway

So Maga arrived and suggested i go with him to his house so i followed him, he was riding his Yamaha XJ600 Diversion

(Photo from out first meeting)

Back at Magas house

Now when we got to Magas house i checked my oil as this was a problem i had before as i had no oil reading, i was worried as i was about to ride straight to Sochi or at least push as far as the town of Armavir as i told them i would be passing (guys i met before) and they was waiting for me to pop by as i emailed them back in England to confirm i would be passing

Maga could see i had a problem and even though it was late in the afternoon he went straight out and got me 2L of top grade oil for the bike and he and his son carried out a oil change for me

So after the oil changed you can guess what was next?

Well i was in the Caucasus's and this is how they welcome there guests

Magas wife had prepared a feast

I even got given a gift which would ride with me all the way on this trip

So maga asked my plans and i told him i was meeting another biker and as it was getting late i had a big night ride ahead to the other side of the Caucasus's which is 90% smooth easy roads and basically easy route

I mean who could get lost????

So we said our goodbyes again I left Ingushetia and headed West

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 11:44 AM
Old 05-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #487
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So not part of my ride report however i will share it in this blog

I visited Terry a few weeks back as we live near each other in East Anglia

He did some work for me on my other DRZ i have and also taught me alittle more off roading and the next day he was setting off to go on another crazy bike trip which he does ever year, he was heading to Russia and other areas.

As i said before i hope to be like Terry cracking such greats trips when i am his age

Well i then headed back to work on a oil platform in the British North Sea and woke up early as usually around 6am and after jump starting my body with the biggest mug of strong coffee you have ever seen i sat down in the TV room which has wifi and checked my messages and so on and i got a message from Terry that he was now in the Russian Caucasus's and just rode from Dagestan to Grozny Chechnya and as soon as he pulled in to Grozny he made friends with local Chechens who would show him around the next few days.

Terry the other week riding in Dagestan living the dream we all wish!

Terry in Chechnya mountains with locals he made friends with

I messaged Maga my Ingush friend to tell him i had a friend who was passing and Maga told me to pass him his number.

Terry Brown and Magrohman (also know as Maga on this blog) in Maga,s home, Ingushetia

Maga was impressed with Terry, as he said distance is nothing for this man

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 11:46 AM
Old 05-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #488
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
Loosing interest anyway--------
Maybe you should hit the road and write your own blog then!

I live a busy life hence delay in blogging, plenty more good blogs to read on here
Old 05-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #489
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,299
Quote:
+1
Old 05-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #490
just jeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
I wouldn't worry about him being critical of your excellent ride report Wes. He has never written one and you have TB in yours!! Very cool!!
Waiting PATIENTLY for the next installment....justjeff

Quote:

I live a busy life hence delay in blogging, plenty more good blogs to read on here
ErikMotoMan: "People struggle with many things in their lives. But the answer to struggle isn’t MORE struggle. It’s peace. If you want more joy, peace, love, happiness… you have to GIVE those things first. You have to THINK those things. You have to have faith that they’ll come to you, despite what you may see. The truth isn’t in what you see with your eyes. It’s what you feel in your heart."
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #491
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,466
It's easy to be a critic when it comes to typing a few words on the internet. Damn haters. Thanks for the updates Wesley. It's great to see the famous TeeBee in another thread.

Just make sure if there are any water crossings more than a few inches deep you get him a ride in a bongo truck....

Sorry TeeBee, I had to do it.... I owe you a few beers for that.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:26 AM   #492
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,479
That pic will follow those two to the grave
Old 05-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #493
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Getting Lost In Russia?!?!?!?

Well after leaving Magas house i then rode West but i am not sure how this happened it was easy route but i got lost...............Tak Tak Tak

So i was turning into more small roads and more big roads, i stopped to buy a road map at a petrol station however there was no road maps?

I had no Maps just a compass on my bike so i filled my bike to the top with fuel and just rode listen to my ipod on random select which was tucked away in my jacket.

Ipod got jammed on one track on repeat constantly, i was in the riding zone so did not adjust the Ipod and rode for a few hours with this song on repeat

I now know all words now so look forwards to a Karaoke night as now i will steal the show

So i stopped as needed a toilet in a small village, there was a big building with a light on so i went and knocked on door to ask if i could use the toilet, the room was full of big guys playing a card game and drinking beer & vodka, it looked like something out of a Mafia movie film

Big guy asked "Kuda Kuda" I replied "Anglia Anglia"

He gave me a thumb ups and i asked where the toilet is and he pointed outside, i went to toilet and it was a wooden box with a hole in the ground with a empty water bottle and no paper

Not sure if you bring your own paper or use water to clean after, i took the empty water bottle back and the big guy fills the water bottle up and i finish up.

The big guy (I did not ask his name so i will call him "Boris" in this blog) has a cup of tea for me, i drink the tea and set off, good guys very friendly

So i also adjusted my ipod music player, i like phill collins but do not want to listen to him all the way to Kazakhstan

I ride on however i don't know where i am but i have put near one full tank of petrol in the bike, i could be anyway all i know is i am in Russia!

I try head West on the compass when i come to a road junction but the compass jumps so i stop to flick it to adjust bubbles

A big man approached me who appears a little drunk but friendly and points to his house, i ride my bike inside and he locks the gate

So it appears i am in Stavropol Region

Stavropol Krai is a federal subject of Russia in the North Caucasian Federal District. Its administrative center is the city of Stavropol. Population: 2,786,281

So i have a name of where i am so that is a start, i am lost but have name so all i need is a map, i asked my new Russia friend if he has a map i can look at in which he does not have

However he has this! This is Russia and i have told you how friendly the people are

His friends come to see the man from "Anglia" riding a blue horse wearing cloths like a star wars storm trooper

I thank them and say i should be on my way, however they say no eat and stay some more

So then food turns to drink, looks like i am staying

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-28-2014 at 10:39 AM
Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #494
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So i leave the next day and i push on again to try meet the British guy i arranged to meet to cross Kazakhstan with.

I try call him on my hit and miss phone

No luck my phone does not work!

So i ride getting lost again and try again to find a road map i can buy at another service stations i stop at however no maps?!?

So i stop for food and then changed my mind, i will head to Kazakhstan on my own, this dude wanted to take main roads i want to take broken roads.

He has a big BMW so will ride fast on smooth roads and i like to ride broken roads in small villages, maybe we will not get on?

I tried to call him again but still no luck.

I see i need to go to Kazakhstan so i plan a route, looks like it will be to Elista then cross over at astrakhan border.

Ok i hit the road again only stopping to ask people i see "Yar har choo poy tea Elista"?

Where to go to Elista?

It works well and i am on my way, now it is very late and i see a police vehicle in road.

I stop to ask the same "Yar har choo poy tea Elista"?

The Police man is called Alex, he is super friendly and says i must rest as he see's i am tired.

We go inside his van and i rest, we also speak on google translate the he has access to.

We have a great conversation, i only know him a little while but we get on well

We swap contact information and i still speak to him from time to time. One day i hope to visit again when i am passing

So it is very late and i set off again.

Later i stop at a road junction as there is no sign, i see a brand new infiniti 4x4 car and ask directions however they do not know so they ask me, looks like we are both lost

They head one way i head the other as its 50/50 so one of us should get it right, luck is still with me as i get it right.............

So i ride to Elista town

Elista
City in Russia
Elista is the capital city of the Republic of Kalmykia,

The people look like people from Mongolia not Russia?

I get petrol at a small station and the old man working starts talking to me in Russian and i asked him a "Kuda Kuda Mongolia"?

He smiled and come out and put his hand out, i put my hand out and he holds it with both hands and then speaks to me for along time in Russian

He tells me an amazing story in Russian for over 20 minutes and whilst holding my hand with both of his hands

I do not know what he said but i am sure it was pretty amazing and somehow we have spirituality connected, i leave feeling happy i met this man as i feel he gives me luck

So i then feel sleepy as its early morning now

I feel my eyes close whilst riding in a remote area so for the first time since i leave Great Britain i camp on my own, sleeping bag had never see sunlight before

After a few hours i wake up and then set off again and i make it to Astrakhan

Astrakhan is a major city in southern European Russia and the administrative center of Astrakhan Oblast. The city lies on two banks of the Volga River, close to where it discharges into the Caspian Sea at an altitude of 28 meters below sea level.

With in minutes of stopping i make new friends

Many new friends.....

As you see Astrakhan has amazing views and scenery, if the city of Astrakhan had a national sound track than this music video fits in just right..

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 12:04 PM
Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #495
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So i asked the super pretty women directions to Kazakhstan and they said it was not far however they wanted me to stay and asked if i had eaten ?

I had not, they also said i should stay and look around there city with them.

It was a great offer but also as you could see i was very dirty from hard riding and rough sleeping and was looking like how i felt.

So why did the women want me to stay with them..... I think it is a trap

I think these women must be like Mermaids from mythology and folklore tales who are irresistible and sing songs to lure men into their traps......

I decided to leave before they start singing to me

The "Pretty" one makes me A Map to find my way

I put the map in my high tech map holder along with my state of the art navigation equipment and my special high tech carburetor adjusting tool.

I say goodbye and set off towards Kazakhstan

I had that feeling i had again like when i was just about to cross into Ukraine.

In just a few hours i will be in Kazakhstan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 12:07 PM