Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #481
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I then made my way to the village of mestia which turns out is a very tourist town and there were not many rooms available at all))))))

I went for alittle ride to the outskirts and back and met two Polish bikers who asked where i was from, i said Anglia and they said another Anglia biker is staying here and i should follow them so i did.

When i got to this hotel i knew straight away from Blogs i read who it was from there bike....

Was another big trip going down with Walter & co ?

The Sibirsky Extreme Trail - The Toughest Ride of Them All

The bike belonged to the Famous Mr Terry Brown from Cambridge England

It was a BMW 650 Cross country been adapted how he likes it.

I think he was on the toilet looking out of the window when i said "Hi Terry"

He did not know me and maybe thought i was some crazy stalker

Well we got talking and got on great straight away and there were no rooms in the guest house however Terry said there is a spare bed in his room so i was welcome to it, pretty nice of him.

a little about Terry....

From what you guys know of him here is from his rides with Walter however Terry goes on long trips most years on his own or sometimes with friends which have no ride reports blogged about, i am sure they are just as amazing as the ones he is mentioned in on this site. He has been riding bikes alot longer than i have been alive and there is not much you cant tell him about bikes.

He is also a great guy

Over the next few days with Terry i would ride with him and he would teach me the basics of off road riding, like standing up on the foot pegs whilst steering with knees on the tank, engine breaking and rider position

It was real lucky to meet such a great guy by total chance in the Georgian mountains, it kind of sums the luck i have had all trip and i would continue to have all the way to Tajikistan, what he would teach me was the basics that would stand me in very good stead for for the later parts of my trip riding alone in which i would cross areas of the Kazakhstan desert off road, remote areas in Kyrgyzstan's mountains and how to correctly carry out a river crossing in Tajikistan

Kazakhstan desert

Remote areas in the Kyrgyzstan's mountains

Tajikistan river crossing method, fully approved and endorsed by Terry Brown

However the Tajik truck broke down in the middle of the river and as you can see with my head in my arms i also broke down in the back of the truck

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 10:06 AM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #482
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Alway good to see Tee Bee's smile.
Great report Wes.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #483
Yamezz
Suffers from MBS

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
Tajikistan river crossing method, fully approved and endorsed by Terry Brown
Do I hear bongos playing?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #484
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 430
I really enjoy this RR.
Your positive approach to the places and people you meet, give the report a "feel good" vibe that is out of the ordinary.

You give bikers a good name!

A side note: Like you I rarely drink alcohol in my day to day life, but for some reason it's another story when I travel on 2 wheels Beer and booze just tastes better after a long day in the saddle.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:13 AM   #485
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Haha, Yes i was a bit surprised Wes.

I was having a piss,looking out of the window ,at the mountains ,as you do, when you turned up

I did think you were a bit crazy, but hey i was the same a long time ago and i like crazy people.
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #486
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Enough Road View Post
This ride report is absolutely fantastic!

I think you mentioned taking a ferry to Kazakhstan but I'm really hoping one of your impromptu detours takes you to Iran!
Nope as Iran takes around 2 months for visa process, however i do hope to one day visit Iran as i have heard from so many people who went how friendly and welcoming the people are

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Fabulous read thanks for bringing us along, maybe I missed it but what months did you do the trip? You passed through my wife's homeland, Poland, and we were in Zakopane last summer in early June and visiting her family near Lublin, maybe we crossed paths but never knew it? Cheers!
Yes i think it was around April i passed Poland, one night this winter when i was about to go to bed and flicking on the TV channels i came across a film called Escape from Sobibor, located right near Lublin. very interesting film worth a watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Alway good to see Tee Bee's smile.
Great report Wes.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:39 AM   #487
Never Enough Road
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Nope as Iran takes around 2 months for visa process, however i do hope to one day visit Iran as i have heard from so many people who went how friendly and welcoming the people are
I went to Iran two summers ago and that was my experience too- the people were so amazingly warm and friendly, even for me as an American. I didn't get to ride though, so hopefully one day soon I can return on two wheels.
Never Enough Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 PM   #488
pbear
Still Crazy

Oddometer: 7
Wow

Hey dude, thanks for such a great report, took me days to read it all to here, you should be the roving ambassador for Britain, If our leaders could get on with each other like you do, it would be an inspiration for the world. By the way, I have officially stolen one of your comments, "strangers are just friends i havent met yet" cant wait for the rest, and like others im still waiting for the pic of the girl with the horses in the forest........what an image in my mind whether you ever find it or not.... You sure have opened my eyes to an area I would have never considered ...........cant wait for more.....
sorry to whoever for stealing your pic off the web, but i liked it.
Attached Images

pbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #489
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear View Post
Hey dude, thanks for such a great report, took me days to read it all to here, you should be the roving ambassador for Britain, If our leaders could get on with each other like you do, it would be an inspiration for the world. By the way, I have officially stolen one of your comments, "strangers are just friends i havent met yet" cant wait for the rest, and like others im still waiting for the pic of the girl with the horses in the forest........what an image in my mind whether you ever find it or not.... You sure have opened my eyes to an area I would have never considered ...........cant wait for more.....
sorry to whoever for stealing your pic off the web, but i liked it.
Guys! I guess you never viewed the movie City Slickers II. The girl on the horse is only a fantasy. She may exist in a moment of time, but once you talk to her, well.......you know.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #490
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
The pictures of the church yard? a few pages back?

In Chechnya? A graveyard on the church grounds? There is a 'cross' on the monument there----are these people 'Christian" ? Muslim? Or?

I think that your blog here----and those of others like Walter's----shines light on the truth that there are good people everywhere.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #491
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Old 04-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #492
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry for taking so long been real busy with work, i will update the blog later in a couple of days when fully back home and also reply to the questions in full.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #493
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Sorry for taking so long been real busy with work, i will update the blog later in a couple of days when fully back home and also reply to the questions in full.
Your blog segments are well worth waiting for.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:06 AM   #494
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Your blog segments are well worth waiting for. __________________

???? I agree---and check the thread once every couple of months just in case anything new has been added.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #495
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
???? I agree---and check the thread once every couple of months just in case anything new has been added.
Sorry fellows been a little busy with work stuff but will carry on at the weekend

for sure this time!!!!!