Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate63 View Post
Understand Wes.
update when your ready.

Clive , you met us in Dushanbe , we were the couple on the Suzuki Strom

http://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com
Hi Clive yes i remember you and your wife.

We have a mutual friend in Bishkek

And now i have the link to your blog, i am always interested to read blogs of people i meet on my trip.

Look forward to reading it
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #512
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Clive i was just looking at your blog and i am in it, its strange/funny seeing photos your forgot were taken

"We met a English guy just outside town and had a good chat.."

http://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com/2013/09/

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 12:28 PM
Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #513
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Worth the wait!!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #514
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Also staying at the guest house was one of Terrys friends who is also a well traveled gentleman called mark manley, he had some very interesting story's

I asked him his favorite place he had traveled to and he replied "Pakistan"

Pakistan never really ever crossed my mind as a place i would head off to but marks storys about it has put it on my list of places to visit one day

Mark was on a XR125 he was heading on a big trip but this got cut short when the engine blew in Azerbaijan

Mark was wearing a open face helmet and old school black leather jacket with stone wash jeans and a pair of hiking boots. he looked like something out the 80s or maybe 70s but it was a pretty cool look thats for sure

His bike is at the back

So me and Terry shared a room again, i had my own corner

We went out with mark for dinner and sank a few beers and i think Terry got a bottle of wine for later on.

Well later on Terry called it a early night and mark read his book and I.................... Well Terry let me borrow one of his shirts so i headed out to see what Batumi is like at night

Terrys shirt was a good fit

Well i made friends with some guys down town and not to be anti social i joined them in drinking and cant remember much apart from the taxi driver waking me up every 10 minutes stopping outside various hostels in Batumi asking me if it was my hostel and i would wake up each time looking out the window saying Nyet and then fall back into a coma..... we did finally reach my hostel during daylight hours

When i checked my wallet in the morning it was full of Turkish money however up until this point i had never been to Turkey.....

Well that was my time with Terry, mark was heading to where me and Terry had just came from and Terry was heading off to Russia

I no longer had a Russian visa or any other visa as my Kazakhstan visa i never used was about to expire as i changed my mind to not head there last minute when i crossed into Russian from Ukraine and decided to head South

So i headed to Tbilisi again which is the capital of Georgia, I needed a new plan, new route and new visa's?

Tbilisi, formerly known as Tiflis, is the capital and the largest city of Georgia, lying on the banks of the Mtkvari River with a population of roughly 1.5 million inhabitants

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 12:31 PM
Old 05-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #515
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post

When i checked my wallet in the morning it was full of Turkish money however up until this point i had never been to Turkey.....

???

Detailed BMW X-Challenge build thread.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
F-ing in Iceland and Faroe Islands, 2013.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #516
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206

Good to have you back.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #517
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So i headed off to the capital of Georgian again

I meet some crazy bikers from Germany

I also stopped to socialize with the locals

Then i was in Tbilisi............ Bad photos as from iphone

Old 05-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #518
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I decided best route would be to go back to Russia and then across Kazakhstan as originally planned.

I need to get Visa's ?

Well i was still on time off from work as i was on a break however if i fly back to London to sort visa's out it will smash my budget........

My DRZ was having a problem with finding gears also, i had to stop it to find 1st gear and it was making a noise, i got told a aftermarket adjustable cam chain tension would fix the noise and maybe i need a new clutch kit?

I did think about getting the Ferry from Batumi to Odessa in Georgia where i could try get the DRZ parts but also would smash my budget and add to much time going back and i will still need a Russian & Kazakhstan visa's

Ok maybe i could work whilst i wait for my visa's which would take around 2 weeks?

Good idea as i would earn money towards my cost i will be laying out.

So i called work.....

Work said i was needed so i left the Sputnik Explorer

I then put on my flight suit to catch a last minute flight to London
and said my goodbyes to the fine Georgian people

I headed back to London via a Russian aircraft

Back In Great Britain

Once back i sent my passport away for visas and went to work spending 10 days of this in the British North Sea

I also brought some more tires and when i checked in they said only one item, real men always have a roll of duct tape to hand. So i fixed the "one item problem"

They pulled the plane i would be taking back out of the hanger whilst i watched

I then made my way to board once documents were checked

After the flight brief i was ready to leave

So i left England and headed back to Georgia ready to carry on my trip

Extra leg room made the flight comfy

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-28-2014 at 03:37 PM
Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #519
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 270
Ha ha ha, fantastic read

I hope you have lots of fun on the next leg of your trip
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #520
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Englandflot Airways, London to Georgia

As my flight back was on a budget airline the runway had not been commissioned yet, i drunk a 2L water sports bottle and put it to the bin when i finished however the planes Engineer went back to the bin and took the bottle out and fitted it to the rear of the aircraft for extra fuel containers.

As i was there first passenger they let me sit up front right next to the cockpit

Old 05-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #521
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back In Georgia

So i was back in Georgia

National Flag Of Georgia

Whilst i was away i made arrangements with another British guy on a forum to ride across Kazakhstan together.

He said he would meet me in Sochi and then we would ride together so the plan was to blast it as fast as i can on the DRZ to Sochi to meet the British dude and then cross Kazakhstan together.

Kazakhstan is a massive country and the route i wanted to take was the South route but he wanted to take the main roads as he was on a big BMW

We discussed on the forum that it is best to meet up and ride together as i read about fuel issues as very long stretches of roads and not knowing how remote some areas are in Kazakhstan if one of us broke down the other could help and so on

So with in a few hours of landing i set off blasting it up to the Russian border to Enter at South Ossetia

Views amazing off course and weather to

Border was quick leaving Georgia however as i was pulling away after all checks another guard stopped me again and started reading all the writing on my bike which people had wrote and asked for my passport again which he took away and photo copied, once he gave it back i rolled on to the Russian Border which is afew KM's North past the Georgian Border point

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 12:37 PM
Old 05-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #522
Mendo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
This is for sure one of the best ride reports I have read. I woke up randomly at 3am last night not being able to sleep so went onto advrider and came across this thread. I read about half of it and then fell asleep and had a dream I was riding your DRZ through eastern Europe meeting all sorts of interesting people haha. This morning I finished the report and am so intrigued by how kind the people you have met along the way have been. I have had the same experience with the kindness of strangers on my travels in latin america and asia. The world is a incredible place to explore and you have inspired me to ride Europe now. Thank you!

Maui Dual Sport Rentals and Tours
www.mauidualsport.com
Mendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #523
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back To Russia!!!

Russian National Flag

So i rode to the Russian border and there was long ques, i pulled into the side after getting waved passed by other cars.

I went inside the office to fill out custom papers but the only forms were in Russian, the office guard asked if i spoke Russian in which i replied "Nyet Pannie my Rusky" = no i don't speak Russian

The guard was real cool and filled out the papers for me and i sat next to him behind the desk whilst he filled them in.

I took my jacket off as it was hot and other motorbike stuff and had a wash in the toilets in his office in the sink as the blast up from Tbilisi was full on near Dakar spec riding

When i came back out there was a big Que of people standing in front of the desk, the guard pointed for me to fill some details out on a form as he spoke to the others so i went behind the desk and did this

He then had a phone call and the guys coming in was asking in Russian where the forms were to fill in and where the toilet is and so on.

I stood up behind the desk telling them in my broken Russian where the forms/papers were across the other side and where the toilet was and so on

When the guard got off the phone he turned to me with a smile and put his hat on my head as if to say i now work here

I started talking to another guy who was from Armenia and even today we message/email each other often and i looked forward to going to visit him in Armenia .

So i left the border checkpoint after all was cool and headed to buy Insurance about 2km down the road.

Whilst i was there i called my Ingushetia friend Maga, I met Maga a few weeks earlier so i told him i would be passing again

How i met Maga early on in this ride report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...934709&page=28

Me and Maga

He was surprised to hear i was back and passing through again so we arranged to meet at the North Ossetia to Ingushetia border post.

I gave my Russian map to some guy in a truck going the other way on my way into Georgia a few weeks before as i never planned to come back this way as i wanted to head to Azerbaijan to cross the ferry to Kazakhstan but this never happened

I got real lost and stopped to ask people directions and one family i met invited me to the back of there shop for chi tea which was pretty cool

So i made my way which was only a few miles across North Ossetia to Ingushetia border post where Maga would be waiting

The Republic of North Ossetia–Alania Flag with the Coat Of Arms

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 12:40 PM
Old 05-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #524
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
This is for sure one of the best ride reports I have read. I woke up randomly at 3am last night not being able to sleep so went onto advrider and came across this thread. I read about half of it and then fell asleep and had a dream I was riding your DRZ through eastern Europe meeting all sorts of interesting people haha. This morning I finished the report and am so intrigued by how kind the people you have met along the way have been. I have had the same experience with the kindness of strangers on my travels in latin america and asia. The world is a incredible place to explore and you have inspired me to ride Europe now. Thank you!
Thanks Mendo for your kind words, i myself read blogs on this site which inspired me to ride to these places just like you when i was living in Australia waking up randomly at 3am and so on i would then read blogs and also dream i was riding these route

It is the the kindness of strangers i met who made this trip what it is for me, one of the best experiences of my life...... actualy it was the best experience of my life

I also totally agree the world is a incredible place to explore and is the best education you can get in life

as you said "This morning I finished the report" well its not finished yet its just getting started
Old 05-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #525
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
as you said "This morning I finished the report" well its not finished yet its just getting started
That's what we like to hear. This is one of the best ride reports we've had in awhile, even if we have to wait a bit for updates.