Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #571
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
Hi,

me to I'm really following this trip, in 1 day at page 28 and i am curious for the rest!

but a question i want to ask, is how long did the total trip take? how many months? and what was you budget you spend? if you hav any idea of this that woud be great!

i want to travel to Nepal or further, from Belgium.
But I want to know if it is do-able with my budget!

i'll read the rest, for sure!
For budget as you see i did not spend much on accommodation as i was lucky to meet great people who let me stay or would feed me.

As i had to fly back to work from time to time the main cost was flights which would smash any budget however i would break around even cost wise when i arrive back to my bike, to be fair i would rather not go back to work and carry on the trip but when work calls you have to go when you are in my line of work, if not then you could soon find yourself not getting any work when you need it.

if you like camping main cost is fuel and food which works out pretty cheap but also allow some more for a break down fund if the bike breaks and you need part's ect ect

I would say $1000 a month is realistic if you like camping a lot

As for how long well i started April and ended (this time includes working also) September 2013 , however last month i pulled the Sputnik Explorer out of her long winter hibernation and put a new front tire on her that Ali my good friend and also the best bike mechanic in Kyrgyzstan gave me as my front was on its way out.

Over winter he did a bit of welding to the frame and changed the piston rings as last year my air filter came off inside the box (i will get to that bit later) which caused a lot of sand to get sucked in which must of worn the rings out as towards the end of last years trip she drunk 1L of oil in under 600 miles at one point.............. here is how she was after pulling her out Ali's garage

Anyway she fired up first time and i was back on the road with her like i never left................... hence why the delays in blogging as i have been busy doing this

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 10:20 PM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #572
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmetrinity View Post
Hello, I'm reading your post and already love it. Very humble and down to earth style of travelling! Those big bikes with high tech gear seems like also an unnecessary target for thiefs...the best way to experience the local culture is by blending in as much as possible.
Also with a big bike you are limited to where you can go, even at 140kg dry on its own the DRZ felt heavy at times (mostly when i was lifting her up of the floor)

I don't think anyone wished there bike was more heavy than it is on any trip that's for sure.

As for experiencing the local culture i always advise to visit small towns or villages more than visiting cities as people have more time for you than in larger cities

As for thiefs then yes less bling is better i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBz View Post
I really like your style of travel and I too hope to conduct a trip like this in South America. I am learning a lot from you as to how to be open and meeting the locals. It's a shame you were robbed, but when you trust people by default, there will be those who take advantage of that. Luckily those people are few and far between.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the report! Cheers
Yes i would love to ride some remote areas in South America myself
Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #573
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by US7IGN View Post
the one who wants - is looking for opportunities, and who do not want - he is looking for excuses.

I'm 34 years old, married and I have two children. last year I bought a motorcycle, got the driving license and drove over 6000 km last summer . and always with me was my wife, who had very afraid of motorcycles. this year, only a war with Russia and lack of money prevents us to drive many miles together on a motorcycle ...

"the one who wants - is looking for opportunities, and who do not want - he is looking for excuses"= wise words and very true
Old 06-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #574
KTM Deano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Wesley i remember you mentioning something about being robbed. Did you write about this (if you did I missed it) or is it to come in another post later?
KTM Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #575
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Deano View Post
Wesley i remember you mentioning something about being robbed. Did you write about this (if you did I missed it) or is it to come in another post later?

yep.....details please

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #576
tee bee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Wes is a bit busy at the moment, but i,m sure once he gets back he,ll update the blog .....,Its well worth the wait :)
tee bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #577
Ratte
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
For budget as you see i did not spend much on accommodation as i was lucky to meet great people who let me stay or would feed me.

Thanks for your answer!

glad to hear that $1000 a month is feasible, i had 1000€ in my mind, so that woud do it also.
for sure I want to camp as much as possible, because its cheap and i like it, so that's not a problem.

So it took 6 months to do it, with work included.

Another question that I have is, I want to leave in September, but i'm afraid that it will be too cold the time I arrive there (nepal/india) or it wil be too rainy.
Another issue for me are the visa's. I have no idea how long it takes for different countries to get them, how much they cost, and if it's do-able to just ride to the border and try to get in there, if you want to visit a country you hadn't planned...

keep on telling the story!
Ratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:02 AM   #578
PropTP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I was considering visiting a friend in Ukraine and my Google search led me to this thread. Read it all in one session. Made for a inspiring and riveting read! Thanks for posting!
PropTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #579
00-SEB-00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
Another issue for me are the visa's. I have no idea how long it takes for different countries to get them, how much they cost, and if it's do-able to just ride to the border and try to get in there, if you want to visit a country you hadn't planned...
Ratte, Since your profile says that you live in Brussels, I assume you have BE nationality? If so, pm or mail me, I'll help you out with how and where for the visas.
I actually met Wes in Tajikistan when we were both there.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #580
Ratte
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Ow, I see your report wich is quite nice. I started to read, but i'll finish it later.
It woud be great to speak with you in person, or even on the phone.

You live in Antwerp i suppose...
Ratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #581
00-SEB-00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I won't be in Antwerp for the next year... Currently in Canada and going south on a trip for the next months, so no can do... ;-)

we kunnen wel skypen, dat zal een stuk gemakkelijker zijn dan alles te typen: wanderingsouls.be
Old 07-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #582
hunter151
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Just finally caught up with this report after a few days. Wesley, thanks for putting this all out there - its truly an inspiration.

While I generally hold the belief that people are for the most part good - I am sure your luck with accommodation and friendliness is a mirror upon yourself and your personality. It is easy to tell from your stories that your positiveness and openness to new people and experiences pretty much carries you on this trip.

This is more than a ride report - this is a lesson on how to live a happy life! :
hunter151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #583
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Pretty sure I would have risked it and stayed in Astrakhan for at least one night.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #584
yeuop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
So what's new, Wesley?
I do believe you are now somewhere in central Asia
I just got back from a trip to Nordkapp and then Murmansk, St Petersburg and so on.
yeuop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #585
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
ADV to Wesley.......copy?