Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #46
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I'll be riding along cause I want to see if Tajikistan is a real place.
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #47
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 777
I find a photo of you here!!!

Keep up!
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #48
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandesiro View Post
I find a photo of you here!!!

Keep up!
Yep i met yeuop on the road in Kyrgyzstan, trust me its a very very small world. i read his blog and knew who he was when i saw him coming up the road on his famous purple Yamaha but more on that later.

There are a few ride reports either going on now or have just finished on this site of people i met whilst on the road so as i go along on this report i will copy/past the links to the ADV report from this site with pictures of them so you guys can get a feel of what was going on around the same time and see how are paths all crossed.

zandesiro just realized we are friends on facebook and i liked your page, good luck on your trip you have planned and look forward to your ride report here once its finished

Enjoy the ride
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #49
KTM Deano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Loving this. I'm off to Ukraine next year.
KTM Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #50
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydarock View Post
I'll be riding along cause I want to see if Tajikistan is a real place.
You and me both!!

For some reason i love this comment
Old 11-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #51
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Deano View Post
Loving this. I'm off to Ukraine next year.
Cheers Deano, yes i plan to head back there also next year
Old 11-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #52
cones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
i guess Chechnya must have changed for better. doubt you would have had same luck about 15 years ago.

crazy fucker
cones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #53
benwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
very unique trip, good for you!
benwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #54
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,306
Love these kind of reports and pictures. Thanks for taking us along.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #55
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 608
Dream trip

Damitt.....

Another rider doing my dream trip

Paka, Dan

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #56
odart
Galen Äventyrare

Oddometer: 13
No doubt...I´m in
Old 11-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #57
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Cool. land of luscious ladies I see.
im in too
Old 11-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #58
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post

zandesiro just realized we are friends on facebook and i liked your page, good luck on your trip you have planned and look forward to your ride report here once its finished

Enjoy the ride
Thank you.....Im collecting infos now....And waiting for your report...
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #59
calibro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
absolutely in for this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
Shortly after passing my full bike test (3rd time lucky!!!) i quickly brought a DRZ400S and after a few quick mods i set of heading East where my trip would take me across the High Tatras mountains in Slovakia & Poland, across the Carpathian mountains in Ukraine & Romanian, Riding the Caucasus mountains across the Russian Republics of Adygea, Ossetia, Ingushetia & Chechnya, along the Pamir mountains in Kyrgyzstan & Tajikistan in total crossing 23 country's/republics as a total novice

Exact route was a follows

1-England
2-France
3-Belgium
4-Luxemburg
5-France
6-Germany
7-Czech Republic
8-Slovakia (Tatras mountains)
9-Poland
10-Ukraine (Carpathian mountains)
11-Romania (Carpathian mountains)
12-Republic of Moldova
13-Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic (PMR) This country is not officially a country as most of the word governments don't recognize it but if you ever go there the 2 tanks and border guards with guns will tell you other wise
14-Ukraine (Crimea)
15-Russia
Russian Caucasus Republics
16-The Republic of Adygea
17-The Republic of North Ossetia
18-The Republic of Ingushetia
19-The Republic of Chechnya
20-Georgia
21-Kazakhstan
22-Kyrgyzstan (Pamir Mountains)
23-Tajikistan (Pamir Mountains) where i finished the trip at the Afghanistan border.

For me this was more than just a bike trip but a trip where i would make friends for life, in total on my whole trip i only stayed at a handful of hotels/guesthouses as 90% of the time i got invited back to peoples houses/flats which was a amazing experience.

Where ever possible i would always try to avoid city's and head of to villages or towns as people in these areas always have time for a guest. i also tried to ride as much offroad as possible and as a solo rider i found people would go out of there way to help me.

I started the trip off with a GPS but shortly after leaving Poland my GPS deleted its memory which turned out to be the best thing to happen to me on my trip as using a map forced me to interact with locals (which i got very good at) and also made me try to learn words of the local languages of where i was. Soon it would be the people i met on my trip who would be advising where i should travel to and what places i should visit like shortly after visiting the Republic of Adygea my host said "Wesley you must go visit Chechnya & Ingushetia i will call me friends and it will be safe for you" and at the time of my trip these areas had the following travel warnings

The Republic of Ingushetia
WARNING: Ingushtetia is presently a war zone is most emphatically NOT a tourist destination. Visitors are in fear of murders and kidnappings by government forces, high-profile crimes, periodic civil disorders and bombings. Travellers should consult to their embassy and request expert information before travelling to the region.

The Republic of Chechnya
WARNING Chechnya is most emphatically not a tourist destination and not safe for independent travel or sightseeing. Most foreign governments advise against non-essential travel. Those visiting for business, research, or international aid purposes should consult with their organization and seek expert guidance before planning a trip.

So as the title of this ride reports states this was a solo trip however by chance high up in the North West Caucasus Mountains of Georgia i bumped into the world famous Terry Brown from Cambridge England who i would ride with for a few days and who would teach me the basics of off-road riding (riding whilst standing up/rider position, steering with knees on the tank & engine breaking) that would stand me in good stead for the rest of my trip, also he would fix and adjust my suspension which had been screwed right down from the start of leaving England

He is a few pictures to show what this ride report is about before i get started..... hope you enjoy

calibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #60
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Slovakia with a novice kamikaze rider! learning to fall off

So after finishing off the mini bar i collapsed on the chair at the desk and awoke in the morning with the map stuck to my face, after making my way down to breakfast still in my riding gear (Boots & trousers) i noticed the hotel was basically empty due to it being out of season with only a few Czech tourists knocking about. During breakfast i could see the young girl who was working here curiously looking at me and then looking out the window at the sputnik explorer (DRZ)

She came over and sat next to me and we had a good conversation and i told here where i planned to go and she asked where the rest of my group is?

I said your looking at it this is a one man show pointing proudly at myself with my thumb and then pointing out towards my bike saying " just me and the Sputnik Explorer"

She then walked off with a surprised but disapproving smile, after about eleven teen cups of coffee i then checked out and headed to the Tatras mountains.

To be fair i never really planned a route in my hotel as i got to smashed and i was still not getting to grips with my GPS (this GPS was soon to became redundant) so i just started looking for off the track route which would take me up high, after riding around for a few hours and then trying to ride up the route of some ski lifts which always came to a dead end for the bike i deiced to head more further East.

I then started to ride along grass fields and other small tracks, offcourse making the route up as i go along

Then i came across a track heading up so i rode it, i said to myself i would only go for 1 hour so i knew my way back but this one hour soon grew to a few hours and i had changed direction many times so now i did not fully know where i was but it was good fun so i carried on, i wanted a adventure right? not a ride around the M25 (motorway around London in the UK)

I saw a lot of tree trunk cuttings and assumed this was a logging route into the mountains?

The tracks would change from gravel routes to very leafy and muddy routes and the mud would stick to the MEFO tires and as i mentioned i had very little on road motorbike experience as i was a total novice having only just passed my test from leaving England and with regards to any offroad experience apart from the one time i rode my 50cc Honda MT5 down the local woods when i was 16 and jumped a grass hill to try impress the girls that were watching Eddy the Eagle style which ending in smashing my foot brake lever and bending my kick start lever as well as heavily denting my pride this was it.

I was making it up as i went along so this happened a few times

The first fall was weird and i had the heart in my mouth feeling but after many falls i soon got very use to this and it just became a normal part or my day and my riding style which on my trip would happening at least once every 3 days which you will see throughout this ride report and also i have a few video clips that i will post when i get to this part of the report

I also soon realized i had prepared my DRZ well for falls and all types of impact as i read many blogs of peoples trips, before leaving i had fitted the following

Fitted engine case saver plates= read about a guy who fell off and smashed the side engine case in the UK, its a show stopper!

Fitted Radiator guards/braces= read about a girl who's DRZ radiator got holed in Kazakhstan and engine locked up, another show stopper

Fitted a thick bash plate with lower engine side protection= DRZ Tough mile lads had a big off in South America where there thinner bash plate split and engine case cracked, was a show stopper but they got it fixed as there was no stopping those guys!

I also fitted heavy duty hand guards that had metal bars built in with short bendy back clutch & brake levers as twice on my motorbike training lessons for my test i dropped the bandit 600 (guess who had to buy lunch after this for the instructors) learner bike which on both occasions needed new levers, a front brake lever is not a problem but a clutch lever is a show stopper.

My trusty DRZ was a strong as a Russian T34 Tank

And i keeped going following the tracks for most of the day, however i soon found myself in a very sticky situation which would be my first real lesson of the trip...................................

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 04:50 AM Reason: My spelling can be shocking, sorry!