2000 Suzuki SV650
2 x 1999 Suzuki TL1000R
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #602
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Atyrau-Aktobe

I did that road, but in the other direction, in 2012. Stayed on the potholed road though and completed the journey in 14.5 very hard hours, rupturing my auxilliary fuel tank. ADV Blog here
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #603
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate63 View Post
Fantastic pics Wes , say hello to Ali if you see him :, the rebuilt forks he did for us got us back to the Uk no problem.

https://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com
Yes Ali has been a busy man helping many other people

Here is just a few photos of Ali's work, he fixes all model bikes and all problems be it electrical or mechanical, a great guy to know as you found out yourself

Mike left his bike with Ali along with my bike over winter and Ali carried out some repair work to get him on the road

Electrical problem and shocks needed work, Australian guy arrived in fashion on the back of a truck to Bishkek and Ali got him back on the road where he finished his trip in Mongolia

A bike from a Russian couple who traveled from Moscow but had electrical problems Ali fixed it

2 guys from the UK turned up on factory KTM rally bikes, one bike was losing water and also oil and Ali found the leaks and fixed it along with other little bits that needed doing

Lyndon also stopped by to pick some parts up for his bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
I take it the people in the photos eat a lot of horse meat? I don't see any signs of any other indigenous foods? I have been away myself and may not be up to speed on your report. What language do these people speak? Thanks.
Yes there are many goats and cows they are herding up in these mountains but yes they also eat horse meat mainly at weddings or at a funeral in Kyrgyzstan, i had some and it is a tough meat and chewy also

Most people in former soviet country's speak Russian however maybe the younger generation say from 30 or below might not speak Russian.

Kyrgyz language is the national language however all documents are written in Russian so Russian also is spoken all over

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbbker View Post
BIG to you !!!!
Thanks

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 02:12 PM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #604
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup man View Post
Im so glad your back Wesley, (exhale) These latest photos are breathtaking, and of course it looks like you havent had any problems making yourself at home with the locals. Those Kirghiz seem like a real friendly lot.
Kyrgyz are very friendly people and the government is really trying to encourage tourism to this country, it is really amazing and a must for anyone heading to Central Asia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbrxx View Post
I did that road, but in the other direction, in 2012. Stayed on the potholed road though and completed the journey in 14.5 very hard hours, rupturing my auxilliary fuel tank. ADV Blog here
Yes basically the same route however i took the south section from Oktyabrsk to Aralsk and you took the North section road from Aralsk to Aktobe but the roads are probably the same i would assume

From Embi there was one pass which was a little hilly/mountains which was very green compared to the rest of this route

Yes later i also rupture my auxilliary fuel tank due to a stress crack on the weld haz (heat affected zone) area

Yes as you will agree it is not only the pot holes but also the geometry of the roads as they try fix them in summer with the high temperate melting the tarmac and also trucks don't care about the newly fixed road and just move the barriers to drive across causing deep groves where the tires pass

Also the freezing winters must take its toll due to the water freezing in the cracks and breaking it up.

I never took any good photos to show the condition of the bad areas but some of them pot holes were brutal and up to 1/2 deep in some areas and long enough to lay the bike in
Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #605
cejnys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Great pictures man, keep them going

www.aroundsouthamerica.info
cejnys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #606
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,570
Quote:
oon another police car arrived and they all started laughing, i think they found it very funny that i was traveling from England and was giving a random guy i met in the remote Kazak desert a ride on my motorbike in the middle of the night, i could also see the funny side and soon they waved us goodbye and also took a photo of me and my passenger/ co pilot
I have enjoyed your report, a true gem. Been riding along with you the whole way Wesley.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #607
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 558
Ali the Mechanik in Bishkek doesn't seem to be a part of Colebatch's waypoint file?
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #608
L0nerider
Ummmmm!

Oddometer: 7
Clothing

Wesley
Are you wearing the RST Pro Series 2 jacket and trousers. If so how do you find them, i have just got the same stuff

Cheers
Wayne
L0nerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #609
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
Ali the Mechanik in Bishkek doesn't seem to be a part of Colebatch's waypoint file?
More information about this is on the hubb under central Asia section on how to contact Ali

Also Ali is well known in Bishkek so any biker there will point you in his direction
Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #610
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0nerider View Post
Wesley
Are you wearing the RST Pro Series 2 jacket and trousers. If so how do you find them, i have just got the same stuff

Cheers
Wayne
Yes its the RST clothing, very good and up to the job.

Comfortable and fit for purpose, I tested it well with many offs/ falls
Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #611
L0nerider
Ummmmm!

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyDRZ400 View Post
Yes its the RST clothing, very good and up to the job.

Comfortable and fit for purpose, I tested it well with many offs/ falls
That's what I like to hear, thanks
L0nerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #612
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Wesley

Just Fcuking Epic

See U next year for RWC in England
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #613
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 444
[IMG]untitled-3.jpg by Brisbane2Bristol, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yep, Ali helped us with our blown fork seals last summer,we blew them coming on that shite road from China, here i am here helping him celebrate his birthday

[IMG]untitled.jpg by Brisbane2Bristol, on Flickr[/IMG]

Great mechanic and a great laugh.

Hi Wez, still following you along.

https://brisbane2bristol.wordpress.com
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #614
Tarmac Terrorist
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Enjoying this immensely Wes, you are an inspiration.
Tarmac Terrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #615
WesleyDRZ400 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So we headed to the small village i passed, as it is more direct and easier to ride in the sand on tracks already made i did this with the Kazakhstan gentleman behind me pointing which tracks to take, i think he to was glad i was taking this route rather than the uncomfortable road with many pot holes

We soon got to the village which appeared pretty empty

But soon people started to come out to take a look at the odd guy on a odd looking motorbike as i am sure for them it was very interesting, it was funny as a few locals in the hotel in Atyrau i spoke to about my route i would be taking advised me i should avoid stopping in the small villages as people can be unfriendly but they seemed friendly enough to me

A few more cars started to turn up...........

This is how they roll in the remote parts of Kazakhstan

Well there is a saying right "one good deed deserves another"

So i was told to stand with the more senor gentlemen of this gathering and was offered a drink or two of the hard stuff, i am not one to seem to be in polite and don't wont to offend, it just seems to happen often on this trip as a bottle of vodka always seems to appear and with in seconds i always seem to have a glass of the stuff in my hand

So i had one drink

Or was that two drinks

Well i was going nowhere and would be staying, if only they had a karaoke machine

Well while all this was going on the guy got his car towed and i got my things i left behind handed back to me and was asked if i wanted to rest in one of the houses which was a good idea considering i could not ride the bike.

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 09-15-2014 at 09:32 PM