User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,259
Motorcycle size and speed

I just bought an older ZX6 a few weeks ago. This is the first sportbike I have ever owned. It hit Craigslist for a reasonable price and I had been looking for a Bandit 1200 or big bore relaxed ergonomic bike. After inspecting I tossed the low offer and rode it home.

I have experience with pretty much every type of bike as I used to be in the industry and whenever yours truly was at the helm of something fast it would be exercised for its intent. I would rip around and a great many bike Ihave top speed tested. Just in my nature to test and observe.

This brings me to my choice in bikes. I used to get into trouble even going fast on slow bikes so that is what I owned. Cruisers and dual sports with the fastest bike being a BMW K1200LT. It was ridden to its limits as well.

To summarize or make a point, I have always owned slow bikes because of a lack of self control on the faster machines. Now that I have the fastest bike I have owned, the old youthful throttle hand seems to have awakened and a fear for trouble on the horizon lingers.

Are you able to remain chill on the hot bikes?
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
The fines eventually slow you down a little and help choose more appropriate times to get on it.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
The fines eventually slow you down a little and help choose more appropriate times to get on it.
I have quite the rap sheet to prove that... until I started riding this bike!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
I keep my speed down to avoid impacts, not to avoid tickets. I can get over a ticket.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
I keep my speed down to avoid impacts, not to avoid tickets. I can get over a ticket.
I try to avoid both ,but I'll never ride in total fear of either.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
No
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Dude, I'm not able to remain chill on slow bikes. 17 years old with all the poor decision making processes(When I see a sign that says "Loose Rock and Off Camber Trail, proceed at own risk" I proceed at the trail's own risk) and lack of foresight(Possible damage to my body resulting from a early life of aggressive dirt bike riding and a diet of Red Bull? Fuck it, that's future SP4RKS' problem) that comes with it that tends to do that to you.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Fortunately speed doesn't give me the thrill so much as acceleration, or hitting a nice set of curves just right or picking the right line through a technical trail. Seems like cops are a lot more forgiving of accelerating hard than they are of speed, thank goodness
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 225
You have to know when and where you can indulge your throttle hand. The track is best for all out thrills, but carving up a nice back road you are much less likely to get a ticket than if you were blasting down the interstate at triple digits...

My point of view is that any idiot can open the throttle and hang on down a straight road. It is much more rewarding for me to hustle a good twisty road at a sporty pace than to try and set a top speed record.

Good score on that zx6, I ride it's brother, a '92 Ninja 600R, and its fun suprising people with an older machine that still performs.

EDIT: Check to see if your Speedo is accurate... the one on my Ninja reads 10 more than what I'm actually doing on the highway...
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post
You have to know when and where you can indulge your throttle hand. The track is best for all out thrills, but carving up a nice back road you are much less likely to get a ticket than if you were blasting down the interstate at triple digits...

My point of view is that any idiot can open the throttle and hang on down a straight road. It is much more rewarding for me to hustle a good twisty road at a sporty pace than to try and set a top speed record.

Good score on that zx6, I ride it's brother, a '92 Ninja 600R, and its fun suprising people with an older machine that still performs.

EDIT: Check to see if your Speedo is accurate... the one on my Ninja reads 10 more than what I'm actually doing on the highway...
I need to GPS it. Have not been past a speed radar sign yet, either. That would be good if it reads high. Should keep me out of trouble.

I am hoping this all is just a reaction to not riding a fast bike in a while and it will subside once the dogs have had their chance to run off of the leash for a bit. I will take it out tomorrow for a long ride, put a few hundred more miles on.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Well, i dunno, but im about to find out. Taking my fz1 out for my first real ride on it Saturday. Last bike had about half the hp, and i was none too calm on that. Dunno that I really need to hit 165 at this point, though.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I'm 28, I've been riding for 6 years now on the road, had a dirtbike before that.

I have a genuine lack of will power for some things. Women, drink, riding fast, things I find pleasurable. I NEVER mix drinking and riding and try not to mix drinking and women, but it happens.

At any rate surviving and enjoying is all about knowing yourself and setting certain boundaries. I know at this time if I had a fast bike I would be riding fast A LOT. So I ride a KLR 650. It's got cases, crashbars, skidplates, handguards and the whole 9.

I ride mostly at a reasonable speed but I accelerate hard and sometimes I speed like hell but the bike can't get over 95 so it's not too bad. I'm typically 5-15 over the limit, and at top speed on the highway, but 80-90 in a 65 is only slightly faster than traffic.

When I had a VZ 800 I would pretty much hit 105-110 on the highway every day to school. It almost got me in trouble once or twice as cops notice that kind of speed. If you think your will power is weak enough that you can't control your throttle wrist than perhaps a fast bike isn't ideal, it's all up to you. In the same way I know to bring an air mattress and sleeping bag or arrange a DD after a good night of partying, I also know to not have too fast of a bike.

Perhaps when I get older that will, change, maybe not but a mans got to know his limits.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 AM   #13
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post

I have always owned slow bikes because of a lack of self control on the faster machines.

Sounds like me. I always said I had to buy a bike with the governor already built into the throttle.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #14
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,197
Although I am capable of riding a big bike slowly, I really don't enjoy it much.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 AM   #15
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
Fortunately speed doesn't give me the thrill so much as acceleration, or hitting a nice set of curves just right or picking the right line through a technical trail. Seems like cops are a lot more forgiving of accelerating hard than they are of speed, thank goodness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post

Gearhead and Tim Tom nailed it.

Our 26 y.o. daughter has her ZX6R out in California with her. She has ridden 1000cc bikes. She has done track days.

Frequently I remind her about safety and speed. She is careful and while she isn't a slowpoke, she reminds ME that her right hand is connected to the smart portion of her brain.

Any boob can pin the throttle on a straight road but moderate speeds and good lines while having fun in the twisties takes skill.

Keep your right hand hooked up to the smart portion of your brain and you will be fine.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote