User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
AZKomet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
India.

Hello fellow ADV Riders. Question??? I have had the urge to go to India and ride/sightsee. I have planned on it for years but always wound up elsewhere. I want to go soon.....

I have searched the net and come up with a few places that rent/tour. Anyone have any experience here? Chanderjeet is prolly tired of me buggin so I am going to ask some of you all.

Aside from the obvious....Things to do? Cities to go to or stay away from?

Thanks for the help.....

Dave
AZKomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKomet View Post
Things to do?
Ok here΄s one suggestion, though it has nothing to do with bikes: go to Kerala, and rent a houseboat to take you to Lake Vembanad and the inland waterways for at least one night. Very nice to see the small villages pass by slowly, as you cruise on the canals.

(..and Kerala does actually have some very nice riding also in the Western Ghats mountains bordering the state of Tamil Nadu - but sorry I don΄t know about rentals there, as I took my own bike. I know you can rent in Goa, but that΄s a bit far away. And this is not the Himalayas, which of course offer the greatest riding in India, and possibly anywhere.. but especially midwinter the South has its own upsides, the weather for example).

Near Munnar hill station, Kerala (Dec-2004):

Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
AZKomet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

nice!

Excellent! Thanks.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
What city do you want to rent from. India is kinda big.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
AZKomet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
What city do you want to rent from. India is kinda big.

That is the dilemma here??? I do not know India. I want to see the Taj and related areas. So, no idea what the best action is to take in doing so.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
It's difficult to suggest stuff when we don't know what you like (apart from the Taj). Do you like monuments/old structures? Scenery (if so, what type, mountains, beaches, greenery)? Wildlife?

How long do you plan to be here? Lastly do "touristy" (the Taj and it's surroundings are as touristy as it gets) places interest you or would you rather go to more unspoiled places (which may be lacking in facilities)?
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
AZKomet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

old is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
It's difficult to suggest stuff when we don't know what you like (apart from the Taj). Do you like monuments/old structures? Scenery (if so, what type, mountains, beaches, greenery)? Wildlife?

How long do you plan to be here? Lastly do "touristy" (the Taj and it's surroundings are as touristy as it gets) places interest you or would you rather go to more unspoiled places (which may be lacking in facilities)?

I am a bit of a relic geek. I like temples, and tradition. Off the beaten path is ok but chances are I will be alone on this trip. The Mrs. refuses....In any case India has always been a goal. I do not know what to expect. I talked to another India goer and he shipped his bike there but left after 5 days citing the poverty and begging that went on.

I can be gone as long as a month so I am game for just about anything adventurous...River rafting and the like.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Temples.... while you can view most of them from the outside, entry within may not be permitted. No big deal as the architecture is outside. Forts and palaces - Rajasthan is your place - and all that is not too far from the Taj either. You can look up Deeg palace, kumbalgarh, Amer palace Mount Abu, Ranakpur. It's easy to spend a leisurely 10 days (or more) there. Bike hire can be easily arranged ex Delhi. + you get to eat Chanderjeets brains in person

A change of scenery would be the beaches of South Maharashtra (you can easily hire bikes from Goa). A real treat would be the 1000 year old Murud Janjira sea fort. Ganpatipule and Tarkarli have decent places to stay and awesome beaches, (the Tarkarli beach is over 40km long) the latter also has regular dolphin safaris. A day's ride (from Goa) away is the world heritage site of Hampi . Again, a 10 -12 day trip would cover a lot.

Travelling from Delhi to Goa is best done by train. Very few routes can match the Mumbai Goa sector (Konkan Railway) for sheer beauty. You just have to pick a train that does this during the daytime. As a foreigner, there will be a special quota, so getting tickets should not be a problem

I've not included the Himalayas or Kerala here. Not because they are not FABULOUS too, but in the case of the Himalayas, the only really good time to visit would mean rains everywhere else/very hot weather and you need almost 3 weeks to do some sort of justice to it... you'll see little else. Kerala, unfortunately is off the route, and though the scenery, as you can see in Pecha 72's picture is truly beautiful, there's not too much else to do . Many temples there, but they have all sorts of stupid regulations which would probably prevent you from stepping inside.

I'd skip adventure activities. Help, in case of emergencies WILL take it's own sweet time arriving. Also, if going to touristy areas, it makes sense to hire a guide from your hotel - it's not expensive, and it'll save you a lot of nuisance in terms of touts etc. Apart from giving insights and facts about the monuments you are visiting which will make your trip there all the sweeter.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
AZKomet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Temples.... while you can view most of them from the outside, entry within may not be permitted. No big deal as the architecture is outside. Forts and palaces - Rajasthan is your place - and all that is not too far from the Taj either. You can look up Deeg palace, kumbalgarh, Amer palace Mount Abu, Ranakpur. It's easy to spend a leisurely 10 days (or more) there. Bike hire can be easily arranged ex Delhi. + you get to eat Chanderjeets brains in person

A change of scenery would be the beaches of South Maharashtra (you can easily hire bikes from Goa). A real treat would be the 1000 year old Murud Janjira sea fort. Ganpatipule and Tarkarli have decent places to stay and awesome beaches, (the Tarkarli beach is over 40km long) the latter also has regular dolphin safaris. A day's ride (from Goa) away is the world heritage site of Hampi . Again, a 10 -12 day trip would cover a lot.

Travelling from Delhi to Goa is best done by train. Very few routes can match the Mumbai Goa sector (Konkan Railway) for sheer beauty. You just have to pick a train that does this during the daytime. As a foreigner, there will be a special quota, so getting tickets should not be a problem

I've not included the Himalayas or Kerala here. Not because they are not FABULOUS too, but in the case of the Himalayas, the only really good time to visit would mean rains everywhere else/very hot weather and you need almost 3 weeks to do some sort of justice to it... you'll see little else. Kerala, unfortunately is off the route, and though the scenery, as you can see in Pecha 72's picture is truly beautiful, there's not too much else to do . Many temples there, but they have all sorts of stupid regulations which would probably prevent you from stepping inside.

I'd skip adventure activities. Help, in case of emergencies WILL take it's own sweet time arriving. Also, if going to touristy areas, it makes sense to hire a guide from your hotel - it's not expensive, and it'll save you a lot of nuisance in terms of touts etc. Apart from giving insights and facts about the monuments you are visiting which will make your trip there all the sweeter.

You are a wealth of info my friend. And I do appreciate it. I will plan on meeting Chanderjeet if I can/he can. The train is an excellent idea as well. I do like to travel the rails. And the beaches too are my thing.....

Thanks so much I am going to start my travel plans and itel on the things you mention. I have been to 47 countries..Not India. It has been an destination want to eons. I have been to Nepal and the Hims...A beautiful area but I am done with that. India seems to be the place for me at the moment.....

Best, Dave
Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Maybe, once you google these places, you'll have a better idea as to how much time you want to spend, and where. That could be the skeleton around which you can plan your itinerary :)
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
AZKomet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe, once you google these places, you'll have a better idea as to how much time you want to spend, and where. That could be the skeleton around which you can plan your itinerary :)

Roger that! A great idea!