User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

Oddometer: 1,405
Engine & Centerstand Skidplates Available

I have aluminum engine skidplates available for R100GS. Choice of aluminum or diamond plate aluminum. Hand fabricated & TIG welded. Will countersink the mounting hardware at no addition charge upon request. $110.00 each. Matching centerstand skidplate also available for $35.00 & fatfoot for sidestand for $10.00. Centerstand skidplates also available for R1100/1150GS and for KLR650 aftermarket centerstands. All come with stainless steel hardware. E-mail me at dakotabeemer@hotmail.com. Twin headlight Ernie

Twin headlight Ernie screwed with this post 08-30-2005 at 03:15 PM Reason: additional information
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #2
Eriksson
Isthatdirtinyourpocket?

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin headlight Ernie
I have aluminum centerstand skidplates available for R100GS, R1100/1150GS, & KLR650 aftermarket centerstands. Made from 1/8" aluiminum or 1/8" aluminum diamond plate for the extra knarly look. Your choice for $35.00 plus $5.00 shipping to continental US. Pictures available, e-mail me at dakotabeemer@hotmail.com. Twin headlight Ernie
How long before they're available for the 950 Adv. hoser, eh?
06 FJR Boomer
05 XR650R
99 Husa Fe501

WWW.BMWRA.ORG
Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 778
can you post pix right here???
Old 08-28-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
DruiD
riding too fast

Oddometer: 544
Plain AL for airhead GS.

When he rode the first three corners before putting the front wheel back down, I knew we were in trouble.

DruiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
DruiD
riding too fast

Diamondplate for airhead GS.

When he rode the first three corners before putting the front wheel back down, I knew we were in trouble.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
DruiD
riding too fast

Here's the one for the R1150 GS.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Looks good, but those exposed bolt heads are a problem waiting to happen. The Touratech skid plate for the R100GS is a pile of crap....looks nice but the mountings are flimsy as hell. At least the BMW parts have well executed mountings. Suggest you find some way to modify your design to be able to use the BMW rubber bushes and bolts - don't go the cheepo Touratech CSK route - please!
bcostell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcostell
Looks good, but those exposed bolt heads are a problem waiting to happen. The Touratech skid plate for the R100GS is a pile of crap....looks nice but the mountings are flimsy as hell. At least the BMW parts have well executed mountings. Suggest you find some way to modify your design to be able to use the BMW rubber bushes and bolts - don't go the cheepo Touratech CSK route - please!
Why are the exposed bolt heads an issue? What exactly would they hit or snag on in that position and why should the BMW rubber bushes and bolts be used? Why would they be better? I'm missing something here, pls explain.

Twin Headlight Ernie,

If/when you come up with one for the 12GS pls post up.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

SQD8R screwed with this post 08-30-2005 at 01:15 PM
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Talking

The bash plates perform a couple of functions: As a stone guard and also as a skid plate. So, if (as I've done) you go over a raised object and the bottom of the plate scapes, then.......you run the risk of ripping out the thread of the alloy oil pan if the bolt heads are exposed. Toratech countersink theirs and also space the plate off a little with welded on lugs. The problem with their design is that the lugs are very weak and snap off - maybe it's a sacrificial design?

The later BMW R100GS design has a swaged in hole for the head of the bolts to fit flush with the face of the plate. Their design is also a lot more robust compared to the Touratech design.

Your design looks pretty good - certaintly a bargain compared to the Touratech design and more protection than the BMW design.

I would have no problem paying the Toratech or BMW price for your plate if it had a mounting comparable to the BMW type.
bcostell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

Countersunk skidplate mounting bolts

Well I had a little time to kill this morning so I decided to pull the engine skidplate on my own 92 R100GS and countersink the mounting holes. I replaced the bolts with 4) 6mm x 30mm stainlss steel countersunk bolts. I must say that it has a much cleaner look to it. I'll try to get a new & improved picture posted soon. By the way if anybody out there has a 2005 R1200GS in the LaCrosse Wisconsin area. I'm looking to borrow a bike to make up a skidplate pattern for this model. In exchange the owner of the bike would get the first working model free. E-mail me at dakotabeemer@hotmail.com. Twin headlight Ernie
Old 02-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
DruiD
riding too fast

R1150 GS Adventure Centerstand Plate

Hey you guys check out the skidplate twinheadlighternie made for me!

Man that guy did a nice job!

Also check out the FatFoot he made! Bullet proof!

If you guys are in need of this kind of stuff, I highly recommend his work. Meticulus!!

Thank, Ernie!

By the way these pics were taken Feb 2nd in Wisconsin. It's a freaky fifty degrees F! Weird Winter that for sure!

Gotta Ride!

Old 02-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #12
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

Skidplates

Thanks for the complements Druid. Glad to hear you like the centerstand plate. I'm sure it will outlast that other one you had. I spent this last weekend making another batch of aluminum engine skidplates for the airhead GS's. I also have aluminum centerstand skidplates ready to go for the R80GS, R100GS, R1100/1150GS, R1150GSA, F650GS, R1200GS and KLR650 aftermarket stand. I also made a couple of rear master cyl protection covers for the KLR650. E-mail me at dakotabeemer@hotmail.com
Thanks Ernie
Old 02-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #13
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,471
Thumb R1150GSA center stand skid plate

Was just wondering what your price for the Adventure centerstand skid plate was.

Also do you accept paypal???

Thanks for the info.

JJ
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
Twin headlight Ernie OP
bar napkin engineering

Skidplate

Hey MXchamp, PM'd ya
Old 02-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #15
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,992
does the airhead skid plate mount to the pan?

does the plate for the Airheads mount to the oil pan or to the frame? i've already tweaked one pan on a relatively minor strike, don't wanna do that again.