User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Pozer: To moab via death valley & grand canyon

I'd been thinking about taking an overnight motorcycle adventure for a few years now; actually quite a few years. I even have the complete set of maps for the TAT hiding in my closet for safe keeping; they've been there for years. I would read everything Big Dog posted. I studied his choice of bikes. I even went out and bought the same ones; that guy; he's such a good salesman. He made the Husky 610 and the WR 250 sound bullet proof, and I've enjoyed both of them. But I'm growing old and restless and it's time I left this nest for some higher ground.
So I start planning a weekend getaway; an easy safe first ride not too far from home. Time after time life gets in the way and I end up canceling out. I keep telling myself,"Bob you need to get this little trip behind you, who knows; you may think its more work than it's worth". So a small two day trip would be perfect to figure it all out...... Well, that didn't happen!
So long story short; all of a sudden; out of nowhere the stars line up. Everybody's schedule is in sync. I'm given a two week window of opportunity I just can't afford to pass up. So much for that two day pass; I'm going for the long haul; the whole two weeks. (that's big for me considering its a first). So I get my trusty little 250 all decked out in adventure clothes and begin......>

pozer screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 02:52 PM
pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My window is the first weeks of June; I had it all planned out; It'll be perfect! The snow will be out of the way in the mountains and Death Valley will only be moderately warm... or so I thought. My plan never seems to end up being the final plan.... go figure.

Ok so I head east on Hwy 88 towards Tahoe; I don't get very far from home when a picture moment pops up so I take full advantage of my opportunity. Capels Lake Carson Pass

pozer screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 02:54 PM
Old 11-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't go into Tahoe instead I stay on Hwy 88 then right onto Hwy 89 towards Markleeville. Shortly after that I ditch the pavement for some forest road across the hill toward Topaz.

I top off my fuel in Topaz and head east toward Wellington. It's not so far; so the pavement stretch is no big deal. Shortly I'm back in the dirt heading south.
I ride on forever and it opens up into this;

Old 11-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride till the sun starts to set and I make to my first days destination: Mono Lake; where I pitch my tent and check things out. I'd never been here before; only seen pictures. Man is it lonely out here. Beautiful but for being so close to Hwy 395 it feels so remote. Just me and some crazy bird out in the distance somewhere chirping away.

Well there ya go, not so bad for the first day... I think I'll keep going and see what happens next.

To be continued...
Old 11-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the bird chirped all night long so I was up early and on my way. Here are a few shots of the place as I left.

As I head south the topography changes into forest land.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That doesn't seem to last very long. Soon I'm making my way south again over flat land. I come upon this stream and it looks too inviting for me to just ride on by so I stop and enjoy the scenery. The water is warm but I can see it's coming from the snow melt in the mountains in the distance; what's going on here? As I make my way to Mammoth Ca. I pass by a very popular trout fishing area. I stop and look around; I learn that the creek is naturally fed by hot springs in the area. I think it was called Hot Creek.

After gas and lunch in Mammoth I head south for Bishop. I manage to find the backroads into the west side of town; more gas and I'm off again. This time as I leave the eastern side of town I exit onto a dirt road and proceed up the mountain. The view from the top was worth stopping for.

You can barely make out Bishop in the valley below.

pozer screwed with this post 11-15-2013 at 06:57 PM
Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
acidman1968
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Damn! You're going right through my old stomping grounds - I grew up in the Owens Valley, so I've been to Mono Lake, Mammoth, etc. more times than I can count.

Keep it up!!!
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,701
Solo----very nice---I think I'm going to enjoy this

And you even got a Dingweeds R3000 adventure tarp---waaaaHooooo.

BigDog

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I continue east which takes me down the other side of the mountains. Then once on flat land again I'm heading south for what seems like forever. I come to a paved road. There is a sign and a map across the street so I go take a look. I discover that I'm entering the north end of the Death Valley Park. I thought I still had a long way to go. Little did I realize how large Death Valley really is. We're talking GIGANTIC! I was soon to find out! So I follow the dirt road to the Imperial Dunes where I find my next night's nesting place.

Not a soul around. The whole place to myself. The night was like no other night in my life. When the sun was gone and the wind died off it was so surreal; no sound, no light, not even bugs. Nothing; it was like being in a box.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next morning I'm up with the sun again. I take a quick shot of the Imperial Dunes and I'm on my way.

Checking the map I discover my route continues toward the back side of the dunes through a narrow passage over some rocky hill thing. Kinda crazy step up thing. Then what seems like a 4x4 trail heading mostly southwest.

Ride.... ride.... ride... and then; you gotta see it to believe it. I had no idea it was going to be there but right in front of me I see palm trees in the distance. I think'" is this one of those mirages you see in cartoons?" No that only happens on TV so I ride up to get a better look.

To be continued.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,454
Nice RR, thanks.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
fuller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Loving the pics. Keep it coming.
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So you know; I can't believe my eyes. What a sweet treat. I could use a dip. Man is this place for real? I couldn't have found this place if I was looking for it and here it is. An oasis right in front of me. I look around for signs of life but nobody... I mean nada no one not a soul. So hey I guess its just the perfect time to freshen up; so in I go... of course.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Man, I can't tell you how good that was..... But an hour or so later and it's time for me to head down the trail.
Turns out that a family of volunteers put these hot tubs in years ago. Most people visiting these parts do so in the winter months... makes since. I mean it must be in the mid 80's and it's mid morning still. No big deal; I'm sure it won't get much hotter.... famous last words.

From there the trail/road heads west but I think I'm supposed to be heading south so I'm getting concerned. Finally I come to an intersection; I head south; I look up ahead to where I'm headed and I'm amazed; you can see the entire length of the valley. The vastness of this place overwhelms me; it's just so big. A person could get in real trouble out here; a break down or a crash; whatever. It could be some time before someone comes along. It's along way to walk out from.
After 30 or 40 miles (which looks like an inch on the map) I come to my next turn. It goes across the valley and up and over Lippincott Pass.