Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Up and over I go no big deal. I keep thinking I'm going to see other signs of life but I never do. Once on top of the pass I reach a rather large flat graveled road. My next destination is north so on I go. You can go about as fast as you want to out here. The road is flat and fairly straight. My bike kinda limits my speed though. Soon I'm at the Race Track watching the rocks race. What a show.

Then; since it's right on the way I'll stop by the Teakettle Junction.(a tourist attraction in the middle of nowhere).

pozer screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 08:35 AM
pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #17
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As I continue my northward trek I begin seeing scattered signs of life again.
Every 20 to 30 minutes a passenger car would be go by in the opposite direction. My only guess is they were off to see the races. There wasn't much else out there.
My next destination was Scotty's Castle where according to my trusty computer recourses gas was available. Good thing too cause I was running mighty low!
On my way there I came across this huge hole in the ground. Turns out it was the Ubehebe Crater. Had to hurry on by though my bike was sputtering and I only had a few miles to go to

Turns out I didn't quite make it to Scotty's So I pull over and perform my transfer ritual.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Scotty's is a mere 15 miles away; I should make that!

Ah; there it is now .... what a relief gas at last....Oh no; what's this; locks on the pumps? Must be a security thing, right?.... WRONG! The people inside tell me they haven't carried gas for ten years. So I'm thinking the maintenance crew must have a gallon to sell at a profit no less. Oh no... no gas there. So I ask the lady at the desk what my options are since I don't have enough gas to make it to my next destination or even the nearest gas station. So she tells me there is a kiosk for park entry tickets down the road 5 miles and if I'm lucky there might be a ranger there who if I'm lucky might have some gas to spare...."if I'm lucky".
Well knowing how my luck works (and who is looking after me) I figure its a sure thing so I head off down the road for this mystery kiosk.

And what do know! Not only is there a ranger at the kiosk but he has exactly one gallon he's looking to give away to some needy soul. (that would be me)
I offer to pay him dearly but he refuses. We exchange formalities and he ducks back into his air conditioned kiosk as by now it was well over 100 in the shade. things have warmed up considerably in the last couple of hours. I slip a $20 under his wiper and head for Stovepipe Wells where the closest gas is available.

To be continued.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #19
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Oddometer: 242
Nice RR & pictures. I'll just ride along if u don't mind. Have DV on my bucket list for spring. U must be going to get tires in Moab.???
2005 Klr 650
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have to slab it to make Stovepipe Wells; It's about a half hour away. As I make my way south I can physically feel the temperature rising. It's a strange feeling because it's happening so fast.
Then I happen to spot my little red light come on; I think, "that can't be good". Within a few minutes the little engine that could starts to miss slightly so I pull over. I don't have a lot of options so I let it idle for a moment.
Suddenly, the light goes out so I hit the pavement again, but this time I try to keep the RPM's to a moderate level.(the bike is usually screaming on the pavement).
So the light stays off and I manage to make it into Stovepipe and get my precious fuel. I was so relieved at just making it to the station I wasn't so focused on the heat but as I came to a stop at the pumps it really hit me.
There was another biker at the pump gassin up. He and his girl were on a hog making there way home from the Calavarus frog jumps in California. His poor girl was suffering from the heat badly.

Of course I had to ask how hot it was; 113? no wander I was so thirsty. So then I ask what the temp is in Beaty since I'm headed in that direction; A cool 94 was the answer. Oh can't wait for the cool down so after fuel and food I get the heck out of the Stove.

Beaty is to the east of Stovepipe; as I make my may over the Pass I can physically feel the temp changing again. Oh so mush better! Yes; 94 feels cool compared to 113!

However my real destination isn't Beaty; it's Titus Canyon. I had planned on riding through it but it's a one way road so I had to make this small detour.

As I turn off for the canyon road I notice (because the road stretches out in front of me) it takes me straight back west; and I already know what that means...... It's going to get hot again... real hot!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't get far up the road when all of a sudden I start getting cramps in my legs, and my arms, and my hands; it felt like I was cramping everywhere.
I manage to pull over and scream it off (those leg cramps really hurt).
I figure this is going to take a while to work out so I try to drink some more, have a bite and burn some time with a few phone calls. Luckily from this point I can get cell reception.
After about a half hour I'm ready to try and ride again. As I make my way westward the temps go up, luckily the scenery helps take my mind off the heat.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
shasta650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Pipes !

Love the plastic drain pipe storage,,cheap n ez, great rr thanx !
Old 11-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,368
Ah, Saline Valley.

I was planning a trip there the week of Thanksgiving. I just looked at the NPS website for Death Valley and found this.

Is it possible to get to Saline Valley? If so, which route would you take?

I'm be leaving from Truckee and was planning to go down the East side of the Sierra.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As I make my way through the canyon I realize the sun is setting and I need to find a comfortable place to set up tent. There isn't a lot of real-estate available since the canyon has become very narrow.
Soon I spy the perfect location; on top of that sweltering rock seems like a cozy place to lie my head. As night falls I'm thinking everything is going to cool down fast and everything will be just right.
Well that didn't happen!
It remained hot all night long, and that rock I was on turns out to be a bad idea. Seems I went from the Stovepipe to the frying pan all in one day. So 3 Tylenol PM's later at around 3am I finally fell asleep. Man what a night!

[IMG]
[/IMG]

To be continued....
Old 11-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Lippincott Pass

Well you didn't say much about Lippincott pass.

But when me and Dingweeds went thru there----going down----it got pretty tough and the dangers of going over the edge started to really bother me---I've done this type of stuff many times.

But what happened----I started remembering watching that video "Where's the "X$&@#"'s my bike" and I just got spooked.

I stopped and waited for Dingweeds and said---"Let's keep each other in our sight". I think he felt the same way.

On with your awesome story.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,433
Nice RR! I love Death Valley ride reports. Makes me miss my WRR too.

I also am interested in hearing more about your experience on Lippencott. I rode up it in 2011 on a KLX250S. I dropped my bike on the first steep part and had a bear of a time getting it picked back up without falling over the edge
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So four hours of sleep had to be enough. The sun is up and so am I. Time to move on. I exit the canyon and reach the Hwy again. I head south and roll into Furnace Creek For some gas and breakfast.

After FC I head down the Hwy for a while but I start getting bored; when a road construction crew stops traffic I start looking for another way around. I head east on some road that supposed to get me to Vegas through the hills. I go nearly 10 mile to find a gate and a no trespassing sign; man am I frustrated. As I back track I'm looking for anything that looks like road or a trail and what do you know; I find one. It meandered northeast for a while before coming to a small horse trail with no motor vehicles allowed signs posted. So back I go, I come to a T in the trail and what the heck lets go see where this other trail goes....... Lo and behold I start seeing other motorcycle tracks (a good sign). Eventually the trail parallels some power lines for miles before ending in a washed out river bed right next to the Hwy. So I find my way onto the pavement and head down the road...... Within a few minutes I'm entering the outskirts of Vegas.

pozer screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 07:56 AM
Old 11-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I stayed on the west most outskirts of Vegas; I head north towards Indian Springs on the HWY> Did I mention I hate pavement? Anyway it isn't too far out of Vegas when I reach my next turn. It was all dirt and no cars so I'm feeling much happier.
What I didn't know was that I was entering a wild life preservation area and I am supposed to stop and register at a group of trailers. But It's getting kinda late again and no one is home so I have to make a decision; risk arrest or backtrack. Well I don't like backtracking so much so on I go.
Turns out this little dirt road went straight through a Joshua Tree forest. Very very cool! On and on and on I go till almost dark. I just kept riding cause there was really no place to camp; but finally there it is... a camp ground; a developed camp ground. No way... Out here in the middle of nowhere. Pitch the tent and call it a day.

This wild life refuge was huge; although I saw millions of Joshua trees I never did see any wildlife? go figure.

To be continued.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #29
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Long distance travel, mostly via dirt. Good plan.

Some very nice pics. Thanks.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #30
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Smells like smoke; I later learn there was a major fire in northern Nevada. You can see the smoke in the air.