Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
>"I start getting cramps in my legs, and my arms, and my hands; it felt like I was cramping everywhere."

IMHO: Likely low on salt. Carry some salt tabs... or some salty snack in hot weather.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Ride, ride , ride, I gotta make it to Bar 10 Ranch for that huge T bone I saw posted in the internet.

I finally get there; it's a long ways out there; again the map is so deceiving. Oh and that square black thingy on my handle bars known as a GPS; well that stopped working after the second day.
Every night I'd have to go over the maps I had and write down the info for quick reference on my bike.It wasn't that big of a deal MOST of the time.

pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #33
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

For some reason I felt rather confident that I could arrive unannounced and expect there to be a vacancy. I don't know I guess I didn't expect to see other people this far off the beaten path and when I got there the place was empty.
Turns out they're normally booked solid and advance reservations are highly recommended. The only reason the place was empty was because most of the crew had left for the day to retrieve rations for following weeks vacationers.
But as Bob luck would have it Bar Ten was booked solid yesterday and booked solid tomorrow and the rest of the week but today there happens to be one unoccupied room. When I ask how much a room is for a walk-in; the owners wife couldn't tell me because it just doesn't happen. So it took her 15 minutes just to locate the cost of the room in her Lodge manual. That seemed really strange and I was expecting be taken advantage of but when she finally came up with a price; that included dinner it was very reasonable and I was a happy camper. No steak though; they're on a "this is what we're having for dinner tonight; hope you decide to join us" menu. Some kind of Mexican dish... guess that steak will have to wait.
Well it's a couple of hours till dinner and I learn there are ATV rides down to the rim so I ask if it's ok if I take my motorcycle for a cruise to the rim.
She say sure; its an easy seven miles; enjoy the ride.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #34
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]

This would have been a wonderful place to camp but I have dinner and a cozy bunk waiting for me so back to the lodge I go.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #35
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It was a wonderful night at the lodge complete with musical entertainment at the camp fire.
In the morning they fed me breakfast and I was off to the beat the heat... next destination... Tuweep. I had read on line there was a fantastic view of the river; no pavement involved. Had to see that!

See that ledge? I was standing there next to the ledge looking over the cliff when all of a sudden a sparrow flew by the back of my head at about 80MPH...
After that I stayed at least a couple of feet away.
I couldn't get over the fact that a sparrow could have taken me out.

To Be Continued

pozer screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 02:41 PM
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #36
TurkeyChicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozer View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]http:/ /dads-memories.smugmug.com/Moab-via-DV-GC-3/i-KjjZd6K/0/X2/DSCN1839-X2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http:/ /dads-memories.smugmug.com/Moab-via-DV-GC-3/i-HBjXnJx/0/X2/DSCN1845-X2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http:/ /dads-memories.smugmug.com/Moab-via-DV-GC-3/i-Xj4VmDg/0/X2/DSCN1842-X2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http:/ /dads-memories.smugmug.com/Moab-via-DV-GC-3/i-gzw6JC6/0/X2/DSCN1848-X2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http:/ /dads-memories.smugmug.com/Moab-via-DV-GC-3/i-4Qd2BVx/0/X2/DSCN1852-X2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http: //dads-memories.smugmug.com/Moab-via-DV-GC-3/i-qCKLrWw/0/X2/DSCN1853-X2.jpg[/IMG]

This would have been a wonderful place to camp but I have dinner and a cozy bunk waiting for me so back to the lodge I go.
Do you happen to have GPS coordinates or can you poinpoint on a map where you were in these photos? It's a great looking viewpoint and I'd love to check it out!
TurkeyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozer View Post
For some reason I felt rather confident that I could arrive unannounced and expect there to be a vacancy. I don't know I guess I didn't expect to see other people this far off the beaten path
If you were there in June that is the start of the motorized rafting season and some outfitters helo up to Bar 10 after running one of the last fun rapids on the canyon,, Lava Falls. The Walapai ? tribe has a helo pad on the other side of the river just below Lava Falls. I've done two trips but both outfitters ran the full canyon so have never been to Bar 10. I have been to Tuweap/Toroweep via my truck. I was going to take my popup camper there but broke a leaf spring not far from the ranger residence. A long expensive story and my moment there was short and bittersweet. Enjoying the trip report.
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #38
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyChicken View Post
Do you happen to have GPS coordinates or can you poinpoint on a map where you were in these photos? It's a great looking viewpoint and I'd love to check it out!
Once I finish off the story I'll go back and make some replies.

pozer screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 10:42 AM
Old 11-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a long day ahead of me so after enjoying the views and Taking the necessary proof pictures I was back on the road......>

pozer screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 03:04 PM
Old 11-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #40
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As the day came to a close it seems there were no developed camp sites any where to be found so just before the sun fades off I ditch onto a small side road. Just right! looks like I'm not the only one who's had to use this place as camp for the night. The road doesn't go very far before it dead ends but I can't see the main road from there so I should be good.

pozer screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 03:11 PM
Old 11-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #41
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 188
Thumb

Fantastic, gotta get there, thanks!
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #42
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That night I check and recheck my maps and learn I need to backtrack a little bit so I'm up with the sun and outa there. First thing I do is promptly fall on my face. I saw the rock but I had rolled over a million rocks in the past few days; I didn't think there would be an issue until the rock moved as I rolled over it... down I went; fast and hard. Man I think I sprained my thumb joint on that one. It smarted for months.

Little did I know: This was just the beginning of my drama for the day....

Next; because it's warming up again, I stop for a moment and stow my trusty vest on the rear rack...... A little while later I'm coming to a screeching halt.

I dismount thinking my brakes are dragging but instead I find my nice vest wrapped around my wheel. NOT GOOD! One vest/jacket shredded.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #43
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Then shortly before reaching Escalante I feel an all too familiar feeling..... My clutch is beginning to slip a little. No big deal I think; Surely there will be someone in town willing to help.
I make my way to the gas station and ask for advise. They give me this business card with the name and address for The Desert Dr.
He seems to be the only game in town so I head on over to his place.
Turns out he is a regular celebrity in these parts and on the internet. He even had people visiting him while I was there for no other reason but to tell their friends they met the Dr.
I had no clue? Anyway he offered to change my oil and give me his professional opinion; so for a generous fee I agreed.
I Tell him I'm quite surprised I'm having clutch issues considering I'm running synthetic oil and upgraded my clutch to kevlar discs.
He informs me that that combination is the worst thing I could have done. He's seen it before in lots of his Harley fans that don't know any better either.
The Kevlar/synthetic mix makes thinks too slippery for most clutch springs to hold and eventually the pressure plate wears down enough to make the clutch fail.... Go figure! I learn something in the middle of the desert. No parts available.... I'm hoping the new oil will solve my problem; and for the moment it seems to.

If you haven't seen his place it's worth a stop just to look around and say hi. There was stuff everywhere from everywhere.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #44
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back on the road again everything feels fine for the short time . But the road I take heads north through some forest land before dumping me back down into nowhere land. It went on and on and on. I was getting concerned about my fuel; the sun was getting low; my clutch started acting up again and I was beginning to feel as if I was getting too far from civilization as I hand't seen a soul since town.

To be continued.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #45
bmah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Stunning Pics!

What a great trip Bob! Your photos really show how intense the sun and how dry things were. It must have been tough camping in the dez without water available. How much did you carry for the overnights? Water is always an issue out there!
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote