Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,421
Great pics!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #47
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,181
Enjoying your RR Bob. Is it true you're thinking of selling your WR?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #48
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 609

Great report.

Keep it coming !!!!!

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #49
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
It's too far to backtrack so I keep pressing forward. I stop a few time to check my maps but I'm not feeling to confident. Mostly because the road in front of me looks endless.
The day grows late again and I start thinking about a place to camp.... and there it is; all of a sudden out of nowhere another developed campground. I ride around to get a closer look at the place and discover there are other people here. What that tells me is I'm not too far from civilization because most people just don't get that far from home.
I choose a comfortable spot in the tall grass; set up tent: clean up, change clothes and visit the neighbors. I learn they are in the area as a classroom assignment for their archeology course. They intend to take a hike in the area to explore fossils and rock structures. The class instructor has a very helpful friend along who I talk with for a while. He lets me know how to reach the Hwy. and how far the nearest gas is. In the morning he was up early making breakfast for everyone in camp. After breakfast he gave me a hand with my motorcycle issues.
Back in Escalante; The Desert Dr. explained a possible remedy to help cure my clutch issues.
Disassemble clutch and using a center punch deepen the existing punch spots in the steel plates. So what the heck; let give this a try.... It's during this procedure I discover just how much wear has taken place on my pressure plate; about the thickness of a disc....NOT GOOD!

I dont get very far when I discover things are worse that ever. That little trick just didn't do the trick. I think the cold oil and cold engine had something to do with it. Within a mile or so from camp I'm back into the clutch trying to make the punch marks deeper and roughing them up a bit for better bite.
But this little trick just wasn't working. I had my clutch apart three times that morning in the middle of the gravel road in the midst of a wind storm that blew sand and dust into everything. Finally; on my last attempt I figured it would be better to wad this thing up in order to have a bike that could move forward rather than trying to attempt a fix for a workable clutch so I took a couple of the steel plates and fashioned wave washer out of them..... Finally I had my bike moving forward in a respectable fashion; and the clutch seemed to work pretty good!

pozer screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 05:41 PM
pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #50
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The wind and the dust kept blowing most of the day. There weren't a lot of travelers out due to visibility and wind issues.
I finally found my way to a Lake Powell marina where I could get some gas. There were no boats out on the water that day; things were just crazy out there.

A couple of wrong turns later and I'm back on route just north of the Arches Park. I climb in elevation and leave the dust behind as I enter higher ground.

The day grows late and what do you know... another developed camping area; How does this keep happening? So I set up camp and take a few pictures.

Another good day in spite of all the mechanical issues.

To BE Continued.

pozer screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 11:01 AM
Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #51
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
AWESOME
Old 11-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #52
acidman1968
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Definitely loving this report! Keep it coming!
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #53
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Up with the sun and I'm on my way; should reach Moab sometime today if everything goes according to plan. Thinking the White Rim Trail would be a neat excursion.

The canyon lands stretch out in front of me. One after another. Canyon, canyon, wash, wash; They just keep coming. A couple of wrong turns here and there but mostly I find my way.

I start worrying about fuel again and think If I ever see someone out here I'm going to stop and ask if anybody is selling. I have no clue how much further Moab is.
At just about the perfect time, along comes a caravan of jeepers. They have to crawl through this stuff. So when I meet up with them we all come to a stop to chat. I ask if they are selling but they won't take my money. I think I only need 1 gallon but they insist on filling me up. Just pay it forward they say and don't forget to stop and say hello to the nice couple coming up the trail... walking across America. I head on down the trail.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #54
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I carry on down the trail.

And soon I come to the couple the jeepers were talking about. They are part of a group that walks across America during the summer months picking up where they left off the year before. Very interesting friends; together they hope to finish up in Burlingame Ca. I believe. And as I recall they began their journey in one of the Carolinas'. They gave me their web card to look up once home. I did and found it very interesting that they were part of a much larger social group that takes on this challenge every year. many of them document it much like we do right here on ADV.

I also learn I'm getting very close; within an hour of town. They tell me about this very tricky 4x4 spot up ahead that most wheelers don't go past. (coming from town). I try not to over think it; there's almost always a way around these things on a motorcycle.... so on I go.

To be continued.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #55
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
I am enjoying this RR, keep up the good work. And thanks for taking the time to post it up.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #56
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,004
Fantastic RR Pozer! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:23 AM   #57
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Nice! Thanks for sharing

I recently rode a KLR across the country to do the desert-off road, only problem I have since is find a way to quickly do the area again
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #58
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Great pictures, cant wait to read more!
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #59
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Great RR and great pictures! Keep em coming!
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #60
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well turns out the tricky 4x4 section was a 2 to 3 ft. step up in the middle of the road. For the 4x4's coming from town it would be a step down; and it would be a bit unnerving in a wheeler for most casual drivers.
But for a motorcycle its really no biggy cause I'm not limited to the road.

Anyway without too much drama I arrive in town through one very busy camping area. Seems to me 99% of the people stay within 5 miles of camp. Too bad; they;re missing out on so much. But then I can't complain about that because it makes my experience of the outdoors better that way.

No pictures of town. I stop at the info office to get an idea of what to expect of the White Rim Trail. After regrouping I figure I'd better get a move on so I gas up and hit the road north for the White Rim turn off.
I find the turn and head up the road...... all of a sudden my clutch issues start coming back. I've had to baby this thing the last 50 miles or so but now it really needs my full attention to get down the road.

I need to stop and rethink things so I pull over and convince myself the White Rim will have to wait for another day. It helped riding through endless canyons and washes on the way up to Moab to help justify my decision. I figured the trail was just going to be more of the same stuff so I get my maps out and rethink my strategy.

I turn around and head back up the Hwy. where I shortly exit to the west trying to stay in the dirt........ I promptly take the wrong road and find myself down by the river. One of the best wrong turns of the trip.... and there has been a lot of then; I just edit most of them because they are usually uneventful. But this one was fantastic; I never imagined it possible to actually ride to the shore of the river below.