Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #61
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
that's where I'm headed and I can't say no.

pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #62
mdouglas71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pozer View Post
Well turns out the tricky 4x4 section was a 2 to 3 ft. step up in the middle of the road. For the 4x4's coming from town it would be a step down; and it would be a bit unnerving in a wheeler for most casual drivers.
But for a motorcycle its really no biggy cause I'm not limited to the road.

Anyway without too much drama I arrive in town through one very busy camping area. Seems to me 99% of the people stay within 5 miles of camp. Too bad; they;re missing out on so much. But then I can't complain about that because it makes my experience of the outdoors better that way.

No pictures of town. I stop at the info office to get an idea of what to expect of the White Rim Trail. After regrouping I figure I'd better get a move on so I gas up and hit the road north for the White Rim turn off.
I find the turn and head up the road...... all of a sudden my clutch issues start coming back. I've had to baby this thing the last 50 miles or so but now it really needs my full attention to get down the road.

I need to stop and rethink things so I pull over and convince myself the White Rim will have to wait for another day. It helped riding through endless canyons and washes on the way up to Moab to help justify my decision. I figured the trail was just going to be more of the same stuff so I get my maps out and rethink my strategy.

I turn around and head back up the Hwy. where I shortly exit to the west trying to stay in the dirt........ I promptly take the wrong road and find myself down by the river. One of the best wrong turns of the trip.... and there has been a lot of then; I just edit most of them because they are usually uneventful. But this one was fantastic; I never imagined it possible to actually ride to the shore of the river below.

Enjoying this ride report a lot. Whew. Too much fun, my drea mrides.

Did you look up the couples website where they post their updates on their walk across america?
mdouglas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #63
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It doesn't go through though so I need to backtrack back up the shelf road. By the time I'm up on flat land again it's getting late so I start looking around for a place to set up tent.

I find a place off the beaten path not too far; within a half mile of some other campers.

The only flat spot is in the middle of the trail.... no big deal right?

Well that night I'm suddenly woken up by strange noises; it was past midnight so I get concerned. Turns out some ATVers were playing around just outside a couple of trails away. I thought for sure they were going to end up coming straight thru my camp. Luckly; though as close as they came; they never discovered me as they made their way around me. They disappear into the dark and I slip back off to sleep.

pozer screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:43 PM
Old 11-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #64
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next morning I get a twisted around and have to ask local mtn.bikers which way the Hwy. is. I hate the Hwy. and soon look for an alternative. A frontage road and a power line road will do for a while.

After a few hours I realize I'm consistently moving in a northern direction and I need a more westwardly one so I stop and check the map. I start traveling across land to see whatever I might see.....

Soon I came to another Hwy. so I got out my maps again to figure out where I
I needed to go from there.
Lets see; um follow this dirt road south and I should intersect the TAT in an hour or so; turn right and head home .... NBD.

A few hours later and I'm rambling through some ATV trails in the middle of Utah somewhere.
Had to stop at this neat little cabin .

Moving on I'm pleasantly surprised at where I find myself. I had seen pictures of this place before and hoped I might come through here and now here it is. The trail system through Eagle Canyon parallels the Hwy. through a canyon and under some road bridges; Very cool....much better that that Hwy.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #65
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After Eagle Canyon The ATV trail continues. There are tunnels that take me to the other side of the Hwy. I spot some fellow ADV.riders checking out a map sign so I go on over for some possible direction. I share my clutch issues with one of the riders and he clues me in on a fix.
He says all I have to do is break one of the discs in half and double it together. Do that to 2 discs on opposite sides of the basket and I'm good to go.
Well that's all news to me and it sounds like it just might do the trick; besides what do I have to lose? my clutch is fading fast.
So I pull over at my next opportunity and give it a go.

After that little trick things are working great; I mean I have no clutch at all but at least everything is locked together well enough that I Have excellent forward momentum. Shoot! I can get home on this fix. All I have to do is starts my bike on gravel and let the wheel spin.

pozer screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:45 PM
Old 11-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #66
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Nice report. Thanks for posting.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #67
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Great ride and great reporting. That clutch fix is nice to know.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #68
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I burn the rest of the day getting turned around and hitting every possible wrong turn in ranch land on the southern side of Hwy 70 a couple of hours east of Salina Utah. I look at my maps but things don't seem to jive. By the end of the day I get my bearings but it's too late in the day to do any catching up on the Hwy so that will have to wait till the next morning. But first I need to freshen up a bit and since there just happens to be a creek crossing, I stop and take advantage of the opportunity.

The next morning I'm up early heading for Hwy 70 trying to make up for lost time.... I figure if i can slab it on over to Richfield which is just west of Salina I can resume the TAT trail and follow that through Nevada and home; That will help make up for the lost day. and get me home on schedule.

Riding the little Yamaha down the Hwy gets pretty unnerving at times. The little bike can run at about 65MPH without too much drama but the truckers out here are doing 70. There is a vulnerability factor I just don't feel comfortable with. It's usually safer for a motorcyclist to be traveling slightly faster than everyone else.

Of course there is a mountain range to go through and that slows my little bike down even more on the up hill climbs so truckers are flying by me. I feel like I should be on the shoulder at times.

I look over to the frontage road and notice a series of tunnels that the road follows. That would have been a much sweeter road (dirt and no one on it). But the sign at the beginning of that road said "no services for 50 miles". And I was trying to get somewhere fast. So down the Hwy I go. Too bad there is no way back onto the frontage road once you decide to take the Hwy.

I finally reach Salina, gas up; grab a bite to eat and buy a couple of souvenirs; then hits back on the Hwy.... or so I thought.....

As I'm headed down the Hwy. moving along at a legal speed when I look up ahead and see a state trooper parked in the middle of the median checking everyones speed with radar. I knew I wasn't speeding but out of habit I try to catch a glimpse of him in my mirror. At the same instance I did that my bike suddenly shut off; went dead; nada, nothing. So I pull over to the shoulder which just so happens to be an onramp. I move over as far I could and coast to a stop. I turn around expecting to see that trooper but he has more important law breakers to attend to.
Relieved that at least I won't have to deal with that drama I turn my attention to my bike... What's up? I know; I was so focused on the trooper man that I must have bumped my kill switch... Flip the switch.... nothing.??? I know; These bikes have been known to have fuel pump issues..... Where is BIG DOG when you need him he can vouch for me....
Well lets see; the motor spins; it just doesn't run; umm.??? I know I'll call AAA.
That's all I got. So AAA it is. OMG you would not believe; I couldn't believe how crazy easy this was going to be. This whole trip I've been days away from any sort of help if anything should have happened along 95% of my route. Here I am on a major Hwy. with engine trouble I can't diagnose. I actually have cell service (which I usually didn't).
I kid you not there was a tow truck heading in my direction within 10 minutes from the very onramp that I came to a stop on.

He loads up my bike and within another 15 minutes we're turning into the only Yamaha Dealer parking lot service center in this here part of Utah.

I figure the only thing that would have made my break down more convenient was if I had ridden my bike there for a fresh tire a had the bike stall on me in the parking lot.
For me this had Devine providence written all over it and I was amazed at how obvious it seemed. "That's just the way I saw it".

Anyway we get everything unloaded and a service tech starts to check out my bike. I tell him about the fuel pump history on this model so he starts there. I move inside to take care of paper work and find out about restaurants in the area.

Pretty soon the tech shows up again; he says its not the fuel pump and that the engine appears to have been "dusted" as there is only 35 lbs psi in the cylinder.

Well that makes since to to me; I had traveled through a whole lot of dust on my ride I just didn't understand how all that dust got past my filter. Plus I never noticed a drop in power. You would have thought I would have noticed a thing like that; hmm.?
The next thing that happens is the parts list; OMG; what do you mean I need a new cylinder?
What do you mean you don't have my parts in stock?
What do you mean It will take 2 day to get parts?
What do you mean it will cost $1000?
I think I know what you mean I just don't like any of it... I need to be home in 3 days... This just doesn't look so good.

Go ahead and order the parts and I'll go look for a hotel and work on a plan.

As I leave the dealership;(I'm walking over to a hotel just across the street) I spy some new bikes in the warehouse next door. OMG! Is that what I think it is?...I better get a better look so I go inside. Oh yes, its' just what I thought it was; a 2013 KTM 500EXC ! Oh I gotta sit on this thing. HMM I wonder if this thing is 50 state street legal?

pozer screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 01:32 PM
Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #69
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I get settled in the hotel' take a shower. Do some laundry. Walk up town and get a chocolate shake at the dairy shop. That was the best shake ever! I can't get that KTM out of my head. I'm thinking about how sweet it would be to show up at home on a new ride. On time too. Yea I better go back and have a talk with the dealer man. I ask him all the require questions. I like all the answers. Man that's the ticket; dump this broken down Yami and step up in style. I'm in. I'm convinced; all I need to do now is convince my wife... She's only a phone call away... I tell her my plan; but she's not buying. She tells me to rent a truck and come on home you've got 4 more motorcycles in the garage waiting for you there and besides we need the money for our daughters college fees next month.:( Man! I just couldn't come up with an argument for that. No defense; nothing; nada, zilch.

So there you go. I say a fond farewell to the 500 and start looking for a truck.
U haul is just across the street but they have no trucks available for the following day so I try to recruit a local to take me home. As we bicker back and forth regarding fees. U haul calls me back and advises me of a cancelation and wants to know if I still want the truck. I run over to the Uhaul shop to secure my deposit . Soon I'm loading up my bike and my parts and I'm on my way home.....

This happens to be my first experience driving Hwy 50 through Nevada; I'm amazed at how long it seems. Mtn. pass after Mtn pass and long stretches of pavement in between. Just when I think I'm getting close to what looks like the Sierras in front of me I realize there is another 50 mi stretch of pavement before me. Nevada is awesome! I never had a clue it was so mountainous. My mind wanders and dreams of a day when I might return and see this beautiful state off pavement. So desolate so remote so huge.

Well; 12 hours later I pull into my driveway at 2am..... man I'm tired... see you in the morning.

Ps. Ship me my parts please.

To be continued.

pozer screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 01:43 PM
Old 11-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #70
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
WR troubles

I hope your problems you had don't happen to me next year. My clutch just doesn't feel right, and already had to be adjusted at the dealer. In my opinion it still doesn't feel just right. Love the little moto though, and the places it can take me are amazing. Just hope your problems are not too common. Thanks for posting. By the way I have a 13 model, and they have supposedly ironed out a bunch of problems, like with the fuel pump. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #71
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Ahhhhh! I was hoping for the new bike purchase!
Great report and style.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #72
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,901
Keep us posted on what's wrong the bike.
Ring failure ? Valve ?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #73
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
I was hoping for the new bike and the rest of the ride!
Great photos and report.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #74
mathews42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbr View Post
i was hoping for the new bike and the rest of the ride!
great photos and report.
+1
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #75
TaZ9
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Just curious?

What year and how many miles did you have on your WR when it died?
Also what type of air cleaner were you using. Did the mechanic say that
the loss of engine compression was from "dust"(dirt) actually getting into the cylinder, or did he mean that the engne was just "worn" to the point it
needed a new top end from many miles of use?

Nice report!

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote